Live(ish) from Westerdam Xmas/NY cruise from Auckland 20Dec22

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We have mandatory RATs this morning. We all have to be in our cabins by 9am when the test kits will be delivered. Once we have done the RAT we have to show the result to our cabin steward.

The captain is announcing Covid numbers during his daily announcement. Yesterday just before departing Tauranga there were two cases onboard - both crew members. It will be very interesting to hear his report this afternoon. 🤔😁

Good to hear that this captain is continuing with the daily report on Covid numbers from his predecessor. We had reached 47 by the end of our 13 day cruise. No mandatory on-cruise RATs for us.

Indeed today's report will be interesting ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boeckli said:

Good to hear that this captain is continuing with the daily report on Covid numbers from his predecessor. We had reached 47 by the end of our 13 day cruise. No mandatory on-cruise RATs for us.

Indeed today's report will be interesting ...

I think reporting the numbers is a great idea. It makes people more aware of what is happening onboard. I wish they had done that on Coral Princess during our various cruises o  her recently. Too many people are getting too complacent.

One additional bonus of having a mandatory RAT this morning is that you feel a bit more comfortable when the maskless idiots walk past you onboard, for the rest of today at least. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

@SilvertoGold

Tauranga port info.

Tauranga is a walk off port. Make sure you take photo-id ashore with you for when you come back through the port entrance.

The wharf is actually in Mount Maunganui with shops, restaurants, and beaches a short walk away. There is an i-Site information booth just inside the port gates and you can get tours through them, including the HoHo bus. There is a new ferry that runs from the wharf just outside the port gates (just past the ice cream kiosk) to Tauranga. It will operate until the end of March.

Tauranga is the port for day trips to Rotorua (NZ's main thermal area) and Hobbiton.

There are walking tracks up Mt Maunganui, and a thermally heated swimming pool complex at the bottom. 

Thank you so much. This is perfect info. Much appreciated :)

We have mandatory RATs this morning. We all have to be in our cabins by 9am when the test kits will be delivered. Once we have done the RAT we have to show the result to our cabin steward.

The captain is announcing Covid numbers during his daily announcement. Yesterday just before departing Tauranga there were two cases onboard - both crew members. It will be very interesting to hear his report this afternoon. 🤔😁

Good info!  Were you required to have a RATs test to board the ship in Auckland? HAL is telling we will have to do one 24 hours before boarding.

We have finally docked at Napier, an hour later than originally scheduled. It was fascinating watching the ship enter the harbour. We approached the container wharf part head on, then turned to back into the harbour where the ship had to make a 90 degree turn to dock against the wharf. Very impressive!

The ship has only now (11:40am) been cleared for passengers to go ashore. Since Napier is a working port we can't walk off. Shuttle buses will be provided to take passengers to the i-Site information centre close to the city centre. 

We've been to Napier a few times in the past so aren't going to rush to go ashore, especially as it's a bit cool and showery. We'll have lunch in the buffet then see what the weather and shuttle queues are like. All aboard time is 5:30pm which probably means looking at queuing for a shuttle back around 4:30pm. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Good info!  Were you required to have a RATs test to board the ship in Auckland? HAL is telling we will have to do one 24 hours before boarding.

Yes, we did our pre-embarkation RATs the night before and took photos of the negative result. We were asked to show the photos during check-in in Auckland as I hadn't managed to get them to load into Verifly. The instructions from HAL differed from what Verifly wanted.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We have finally docked at Napier, an hour later than originally scheduled. It was fascinating watching the ship enter the harbour. We approached the container wgarf part head on, then turn to back into the harbour where ee had to make a 90 degree turn to dock against the wharf.

The ship has only now (11:40am) been cleared for passengers to go ashore. Since Napier is a working port we can't walk off. Shuttle buses will be provided to take passengers to the i-Site information centre close to the city centre. 

We've been to Napier a few times in the past so aren't going to rush to go ashore, especially as it's a bit cool and showery. We'll have lunch in the buffet then see what the weather and shuttle queues are like. All aboard time is 5:30pm which probably means looking at queuing for a shuttle back around 4:30pm. 

Watching the ship dock would have been an interesting experience.  I'm always surprised at the lack of interest by most passengers.  I love watching from when the pilot gets on!

Napier always seems to get a short visit.  ? Tides.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Watching the ship dock would have been an interesting experience.  I'm always surprised at the lack of interest by most passengers.  I love watching from when the pilot gets on!

Napier always seems to get a short visit.  ? Tides.  

It was certainly very interesting and better timed than most port arrivals, which are usually too early in the morning for me! We love watching the sailaways though and NZ has some very interesting ones.

If the ship travels from Tauranga to Napier overnight it will be a short visit like we have now as it's a long way around East Cape. Often itineraries have a sea day between Tauranga and the lower North Island ports so then you get a longer stay in Napier, as we did on Celebrity Solstice a few years ago. 

Since it's so close to Christmas we're having our first sea day between Lyttelton and Port Chalmers on Christmas Day.

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We have finally docked at Napier, an hour later than originally scheduled. It was fascinating watching the ship enter the harbour. We approached the container wharf part head on, then turned to back into the harbour where the ship had to make a 90 degree turn to dock against the wharf. Very impressive!

Excellent.  I am keeping notes separately on sail-in/outs. Thanks for good info on this port!  We are scheduled noon to 6 pm, so lots of time to see Napier.  Any recommendations for must-sees in town? 

We really do have one of the best tables in the Dining Room. We scored the window seats last night (we all agreed to take turns) and had wonderful wake views.

It's always great when tablemates agree to take turns, either by rotating thru or just a 'no-one can seat in the same seat until they have sat in all the others' approach. On a large table (8-10) it also helps everyone to spend time with everyone else.

• Like 1

We really do have one of the best tables in the Dining Room. We scored the window seats last night (we all agreed to take turns) and had wonderful wake views.

It's always great when tablemates agree to take turns, either by rotating thru or just a 'no-one can seat in the same seat until they have sat in all the others' approach. On a large table (8-10) it also helps everyone to spend time with everyone else.

• Like 1

Tauranga is the port for day trips to Rotorua (NZ's main thermal area) and Hobbiton.

Thanks for the ports info, which is very useful.  Are there any local tour companies who just wait outside the gates, where you could pick up a last minute tour?

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Excellent.  I am keeping notes separately on sail-in/outs. Thanks for good info on this port!  We are scheduled noon to 6 pm, so lots of time to see Napier.  Any recommendations for must-sees in town? 

Napier is famous for it's Art Deco buildings, built after most of the city was severely damaged in an earthquake. My mother was actually there at the time and even the slightest tremor terrified her after that.

There are usually walking tours available, either guided or I think you can get a self-guide tour sheet at the i-Site. I think there are also vintage car tours available but I'm not sure how you book them. Otherwise wine tours are popular - Hawkes Bay is one of NZ's premier wine regions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They finally announced open shuttles, no tickets required, at 1pm. Last shuttle back is 4:30pmm which probably means queuing up no later than 3:30pm.

@SilvertoGold if you decide to self-explore the town I suggest getting an early shuttle ticket so you have plenty of time to wander around.

We've decided not to go ashore today. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They finally announced open shuttles, no tickets required, at 1pm. Last shuttle back is 4:30pmm which probably means queuing up no later than 3:30pm.

@SilvertoGold if you decide to self-explore the town I suggest getting an early shuttle ticket so you have plenty of time to wander around.

We've decided not to go ashore today. 

Would you know how the shuttle tickets are managed?  Just line up to get a ticket or?  This reminds me of HAL tenders tickets, high Mariners get first dibs, then everyone else.

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Would you know how the shuttle tickets are managed?  Just line up to get a ticket or?  This reminds me of HAL tenders tickets, high Mariners get first dibs, then everyone else.

From what we heard over the PA you just went to wherever they were handing them out, which was deck 1 today. I'm not sure if there was any priorities though as we didn't go down there.

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

From what we heard over the PA you just went to wherever they were handing them out, which was deck 1 today. I'm not sure if there was any priorities though as we didn't go down there.

Carnival's Luminosa had the best system I've seen.  They had a board with available time slots.  You went down from 6am and queued to take the time you wanted.  This was only necessary if you wanted to be first off.  Later there was no queue.  

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think they do it for most cruise ship visits. 

My cruise was in 2011.  I'm impressed that they have been doing it so long.  That town has always fascinated me because of its art deco style.  My grandmother's cousin was in that big earthquake, so her fear passed on to me.