Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

13 hours ago, BeckySt said:

We are in North Dallas as well. Happy to chat about this directly. You definitely want someone checking on the house, given the propensity for freezing pipes.

-Becky

Thanks. Where are you guys in N Dallas?

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

We have used the mag hooks but prefer the Command Adhesive hooks.  Stick to just about any surface where mag hooks only work where there is steel under the wall covering.  Hold a lot and easily removable.   Cost about the same and no issues with shipping.

Thanks, Jim, for reminding me of this!  I think it was your recommendation to go this route that we followed, and have also purchased those.  

6 hours ago, Margaretwelker said:

Your photos are very good from your phone.  The iPhone is so much easier to use than a camera, I am hesitant on going the camera route for WC next year

I'll suggest that whatever device you use the most is the easiest, regardless if it is a cell phone or camera.

Although I haven't had a cell phone since I retired, DW has an iphone and I find it terrible to use for taking photos. I have used cameras for about 50 years, so find either of my full frame cameras are much easier than a phone. 

6 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I'll suggest that whatever device you use the most is the easiest, regardless if it is a cell phone or camera.

Although I haven't had a cell phone since I retired, DW has an iphone and I find it terrible to use for taking photos. I have used cameras for about 50 years, so find either of my full frame cameras are much easier than a phone. 

I use both. The iPhone is for photos I can immediately post on social media and the Canon mirrorless is for photos I want to play with and possibly have printed.  Yes, it largely depends on what you intend on doing with the photos.  Either way, there are classes you can take that will give you insight on how to compose photos, especially when doing travel photography.  My local community college teaches a variety of classes, for phones and cameras, as does the school district.  You can find online classes, too.

Hint: One of the easiest things you can do to make your phone photos look good is to learn how to straighten them so the horizon is actually horizontal. 

Maria

Edited by Lilyskittymom
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 12:58 PM, FrökenFluff said:

It is so interesting to see all these places! Some you like and can’t wait to visit again, some you are happy to have seen, and even more happy that you never have to return to again! For me India is the latter. I certainly hope I will never return 😅 Well, that is after we leave Mumbai of course! Still have 3 days left in India! 

It is sad that this is what people think of India.  We did a land tour and outside of the cities it is better.  After  we toured  India we went to Nepal.  It is truly a beautiful place.  Try to keep Nepal on your to visit list.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, annxstitch said:

It is sad that this is what people think of India.  We did a land tour and outside of the cities it is better.  After  we toured  India we went to Nepal.  It is truly a beautiful place.  Try to keep Nepal on your to visit list.

Agree, I went to India (Kerala) for a few weeks, for work, many years ago, and loved everything about the place, the people, the overloaded senses, the crazy crazy roads, the sights, aromas, the beauty.  It’s different, but amazing. You have to go accepting it’s different, and don’t expect western luxuries or standards at all times.   Being in IT, I still work with many colleagues from India, such wonderful people.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Agree, I went to India (Kerala) for a few weeks, for work, many years ago, and loved everything about the place, the people, the overloaded senses, the crazy crazy roads, the sights, aromas, the beauty.  It’s different, but amazing. You have to go accepting it’s different, and don’t expect western luxuries or standards at all times.   Being in IT, I still work with many colleagues from India, such wonderful people.  

They have been very friendly and helpful. In fact my wife and I were in separate seats during our flight to and from Delhi. Both times, people offered to move from an aisle and window seat to a middle seat without being asked. 

Edited by mstadleraz

This is Margaret Welker. I am following the blog because going on a WC starting in January  ‘24. I noticed you mentioned your flight. I guess this is obviously an extra trip that you arranged? What are the details?  Very beautiful  photos and a place I definitely want to visit.

3 hours ago, Margaretwelker said:

This is Margaret Welker. I am following the blog because going on a WC starting in January  ‘24. I noticed you mentioned your flight. I guess this is obviously an extra trip that you arranged? What are the details?  Very beautiful  photos and a place I definitely want to visit.

Viking has not offered any over land excursions. Not knowing if we will return to India, we decided to visit the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort. Several different groups left the ship at different ports and times while in India. Our group departed for the excursion upon the arrival in Mumbai. We flew to Delhi, drive to Agra. We awoke early to see sunrise at the Taj Mahal, returned to the hotel for breakfast, then went to visit Agra Fort. This was an overnight returning to the ship at midnight the next day. Memphis tours handled the excursion on our behalf.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, annxstitch said:

We actually liked Mumbai more than Cochin and Goa, but still, India is our least favourite place in the world so far. Not comparing with first world countries, but with Vietnam, Thailand and Indonesia. But that’s us, To each their own. 

• Like 4

Those of you who are on Neptune for this world cruise - could you mention a few excursions offered by Viking that you found to be exceptional - and - a few disappointing ones? They can be included ones or for fee. Thank you. Going on Neptune w/c in 2023-2024.

2 hours ago, mstadleraz said:

Viking has not offered any over land excursions. Not knowing if we will return to India, we decided to visit the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort. Several different groups left the ship at different ports and times while in India. Our group departed for the excursion upon the arrival in Mumbai. We flew to Delhi, drive to Agra. We awoke early to see sunrise at the Taj Mahal, returned to the hotel for breakfast, then went to visit Agra Fort. This was an overnight returning to the ship at midnight the next day. Memphis tours handled the excursion on our behalf.

To add to Mark's comments the tour was exceptional.  I wish to thank all the previous WCs that recommended Memphis Tours.  They were great to work with and did a excellent job pulling the tour together for the 27 that went on it.  I can share details of organizing the tour for a group if you have interest in doing the same on a future Viking WC.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cathyvee said:

Those of you who are on Neptune for this world cruise - could you mention a few excursions offered by Viking that you found to be exceptional - and - a few disappointing ones? They can be included ones or for fee. Thank you. Going on Neptune w/c in 2023-2024.

Stay on the ship in Cochin.....

28 minutes ago, Floater69 said:

Stay on the ship in Cochin.....

We visited Mattancherry Palace and the Jewish Synagogue in Kochi. Both were very nice and interesting. India concerned me as we contemplated our journey. However, I was pleasantly surprised. India is  amazing, can be depressing in some areas and overwhelming by everything you experience. I can see us returning some day to explore more. It is a fascinating country and by their standards very advanced. We cannot compare ourselves to their society because from their perspective, there is not as much to be desired in North America. Gandhi made that clear in a letter to Roosevelt during WWII.

By the way, did you know there are millionaires in the slums? They collect recyclables and find other items of value in the trash. Would never have known that if I had not visited the area. They make the best of what they face.

Edited by mstadleraz
  • Like 4

I think it was due to weather conditions making tendering difficult.

Yes, that big storm that hit CA was blowing in, and as Santa Barbara was a tendering port, chances are there would have been no way we could tender safely.  
We did a U turn leaving LA, going waaaay south to avoid it and even then the seas were pretty rough until the storm moved and we were further away.  It was a disappointing decision for us, but an excellent decision made b6 the captain.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Margaretwelker said:

When Viking released their excursions, there were none for Agra and Taj Mahal.  We had a different itinerary than others, getting a flight out of Cochin and flying to New Delhi.  The following day, we had a driver pick us up from our hotel and drive us to Agra.  There were 10 of us.  That was a very full day.  The following day we had another private tour of old and New Delhi.  This was another full day.  The following day, we flew to Mumbai, getting in about the same time as the ship.  

By doing this, we missed Cochin (I wish we had an earlier flight as we got to our hotel at 2 am from an 8 pm flight).  Next day was a sea day, which we missed and we missed Goa.  By doing it this way, it gave us a lot of wiggle room if something fouled up along the way.  
Our package was put together independently, by another member so we had to make flight, hotel, car and tour reservations ourselves.

I called Viking WC desk and didn’t really get a satisfactory answer as to why they didn’t plan a Taj excursion.  However, we likely got a much better tour for less.  I want to say our business class flights, hotel (thankfully, NOT in a chain which Viking tends to favor), tours and car service was less than $1600 for both of us.  I suspect Viking would have cost about $5000 for what they put together.  

• Like 2

I wouldn’t even try.  The reason being (that I discovered early on) is that excursions that I have enjoyed immensely have been panned by others. Opinions are based on outside influences like weather and tour guides, so one group going out earlier might miss crappy weather going out later.  Another example just happened recently where we had an authentic Indian meal.  It was fabulous.  The woman across the table picked at it, saying she’d prefer McDonalds.  I don’t think she had a very good time….in fact, I know she didn’t.

My suggestion is to do what YOU enjoy.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

When Viking released their excursions, there were none for Agra and Taj Mahal.  We had a different itinerary than others, getting a flight out of Cochin and flying to New Delhi.  The following day, we had a driver pick us up from our hotel and drive us to Agra.  There were 10 of us.  That was a very full day.  The following day we had another private tour of old and New Delhi.  This was another full day.  The following day, we flew to Mumbai, getting in about the same time as the ship.  

By doing this, we missed Cochin (I wish we had an earlier flight as we got to our hotel at 2 am from an 8 pm flight).  Next day was a sea day, which we missed and we missed Goa.  By doing it this way, it gave us a lot of wiggle room if something fouled up along the way.  
Our package was put together independently, by another member so we had to make flight, hotel, car and tour reservations ourselves.

I called Viking WC desk and didn’t really get a satisfactory answer as to why they didn’t plan a Taj excursion.  However, we likely got a much better tour for less.  I want to say our business class flights, hotel (thankfully, NOT in a chain which Viking tends to favor), tours and car service was less than $1600 for both of us.  I suspect Viking would have cost about $5000 for what they put together.  

Thank you for taking the time to explain all this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

I wouldn’t even try.  The reason being (that I discovered early on) is that excursions that I have enjoyed immensely have been panned by others. Opinions are based on outside influences like weather and tour guides, so one group going out earlier might miss crappy weather going out later.  Another example just happened recently where we had an authentic Indian meal.  It was fabulous.  The woman across the table picked at it, saying she’d prefer McDonalds.  I don’t think she had a very good time….in fact, I know she didn’t.

My suggestion is to do what YOU enjoy.

I’ve called Viking to get a copy of what their excursions are like but no luck there. They said they would be released to me about 30 or 60 days before the trip. I am a single traveler, so entry-level cabin. Can anyone please take a photo or send to me an example of what the excursions are like? I imagine the free excursions are just a bus ride around the city. Would this be correct?

28 minutes ago, Margaretwelker said:

I’ve called Viking to get a copy of what their excursions are like but no luck there. They said they would be released to me about 30 or 60 days before the trip. I am a single traveler, so entry-level cabin. Can anyone please take a photo or send to me an example of what the excursions are like? I imagine the free excursions are just a bus ride around the city. Would this be correct?

Have you looked on the Viking website?  Click on each day of the itinerary and a list of possible excursions pop up.  It'll show the length, difficulty and other info for each excursion.

Maria

• Like 1