HAL cancelled our cabana 2 days before sailing

lagirlforjesus

Last post was that they were still trying to get someone at guest services to talk to them, so they weren't even at a negotiation point. That is a "front desk" strategy--they won't let you talk to "the man behind the curtain," hoping you'll just go away. 

Given some of the humorous (snarky?) posts, I doubt OP will be back. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Last post was that they were still trying to get someone at guest services to talk to them, so they weren't even at a negotiation point. That is a "front desk" strategy--they won't let you talk to "the man behind the curtain," hoping you'll just go away. 

Given some of the humorous (snarky?) posts, I doubt OP will be back. 

last post was 8 25 yesterday morning when they said something about the posttelling them to not let one thing ruin their vacation was not helpful, but nothing about any progress in a resolution.

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Still waiting... meanwhile...    crickets 🦗

Well two weeks ago the issue was on the Nieuw Amsterdam, then last week it was on the Eurodam. Now I am waiting and wondering instead on when and where the newest Cabana Caper will happen and if Vegas has a betting line on which ship?

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

Well two weeks ago the issue was on the Nieuw Amsterdam, then last week it was on the Eurodam. Now I am waiting and wondering instead on when and where the newest Cabana Caper will happen and if Vegas has a betting line on which ship?

I'm beginning to think that some folks on this thread derive some strange sense of enjoyment of the drama involved with the ongoing 'Cabana Capers'.

It's kind of entertaining to read really..

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

I'm beginning to think that some folks on this thread derive some strange sense of enjoyment of the drama involved with the ongoing 'Cabana Capers'.

Hey wait until the 'Pickle Protests' start and the Pickle Ball players on HAL start demanding more courts on the ships and it's suggested that the Cabana areas be replaced with lighted courts available for rental 24/7.

• Haha 1

I think I might have this figured out.

A disgruntled passenger brings their vacation to a grinding halt to vent on cruise critic about an issue they are having aboard.

They get a mixture of responses

some say “Try To Relax And Have A Good Time” or something positive

Others whip the poster into a dizzying frenzy, suggesting. The Captain should pass the duties of the ship to second in command and meet them in their cabin for a meeting. After a few more over the top suggestions, they head down to the front desk with preconceived ideas that perhaps they should get a Neptune Suite with their own personal butler on the next world voyage free of charge.

Then they get to the front desk and reality sets in They are offered two choices

A- A bottle of Andre Champagne 

B- A plate of chocolate covered strawberries. 
Most opt for the strawberries, and we never hear from them again 

Edited by Wakepatrol
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

Then they get to the front desk and reality sets in They are offered two choices

Ok strawberries it is, but only as long as these are on the bed back in the room. 

20220511_064941.jpg

• Haha 5

48 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

The only thing I have learned from this is never to book a cabana and have my entire vacation depend on the cabana.

Just reinforced something I learned a long time ago do not base a decision to take a cruise because of any 1 specific thing, where that one thing might be a particular port, a specific CD, or the availability of a specific service such as a cabana.  Otherwise one is likely to face disappointment for one reason or another.

ldtr - I agree with you. As we all know, ports can be changed at last minute 

due to weather, big icebergs that prevent ship from getting near port, 

etc.   CD and/or Captain or other staff can be on vacation. 

3 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

I think I might have this figured out.

A disgruntled passenger brings their vacation to a grinding halt to vent on cruise critic about an issue they are having aboard.

They get a mixture of responses

some say “Try To Relax And Have A Good Time” or something positive

Others whip the poster into a dizzying frenzy, suggesting. The Captain should pass the duties of the ship to second in command and meet them in their cabin for a meeting. After a few more over the top suggestions, they head down to the front desk with preconceived ideas that perhaps they should get a Neptune Suite with their own personal butler on the next world voyage free of charge.

By golly, I think you have it.... brilliant!

On 12/26/2022 at 6:46 PM, Ipeeinthepools said:

The only thing I have learned from this is never to book a cabana and have my entire vacation depend on the cabana.

I don't completely disagree, but I am sailing with a disabled wife.  The cabana is a big deal to us, I will be extremely disappointed if I am notified that it has been booked by someone else that is "more important".  We won't let it ruin the vacation, but it will very likely mean that we spend more time in venues where we won't have the same level of service.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bdd123 said:

I don't completely disagree, but I am sailing with a disabled wife.  The cabana is a big deal to us, I will be extremely disappointed if I am notified that it has been booked by someone else that is "more important".  We won't let it ruin the vacation, but it will very likely mean that we spend more time in venues where we won't have the same level of service.

It sounds like regular cabanas are probably pretty safe from getting bumped, it's the large corner family cabanas that are at higher risk of getting bumped.

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2022 at 5:27 PM, lagirlforjesus said:

If HAL does the right thing then we will continue to cruise with them.  If not, then we will be leaving the line and head somewhere else and we will tell others of our experiences.  We will contact our local media outlets and tell them about the response that we received from HAL. We will utilize social media so that others are aware of the service that we received.  We will give the facts of the situation. 

The OP told us exactly what could be happening next a week ago. I just hope corporate is lawyering up in anticipation, or is the thought from the PR department that any publicity is good publicity?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would venture to guess that in cases like this one and the earlier one about the loud music, HAL offered a solution to the person with the complaint -- and that part of that solution involved not continuing to post about it on social media.

Maybe they have a friend that could tell us something