Dodged a Bullet

wcook

I normally take risks with my flights. Arrive day of? Sure. Saves the cost of a hotel room. Connecting flights? Why not. 

So I’m leaving out of San Juan tomorrow for a Christmas cruise. Tickets for holiday week are 2x-3x what I want to pay. I reach into my bag of tricks to find cheaper flights. But nothing seemed quite right. For whatever reason, I just said ef it and booked expensive non-stops arriving the day before. 

Phew. Have you seen the flight delay map for today? Yikes. But I should be ok flying New England to Puerto Rico. Delays, but I’ll make my cruise tomorrow. And to think I was seriously considering a New England -> Denver! -> Orlando -> San Juan ticket. (It was dirt cheap 🙂 )

But...but...but....

For many many people, "best" means cheapest.  Seems you found that "best" for you means the itinerary that accomplishes the goal - making it to your vacation with the greatest likelihood of success.

You still aren't 100% assured, as those operational problems can end up striking anywhere in an airline's system.  But glad you didn't just say "buy cheap - it's just a commodity".

• Like 2

If possible, always take the first flight of the morning, preferably nonstop to increase your chances of making it.  Good luck, just keep in mind that plane you are taking tomorrow came from some other airport, but at least you are not connecting through DEN which is a nightmare today.  And, the computer systems for an airline at Dulles went down today for a couple hours.  It's just a mess in bad weather and during the holiday season.  I would never choose to fly the end of December!

• Like 2