North Norway in March

markfull

We are booked on a Fred Olsen cruise (In Search of The Northern Lights) in March 23, going as high as Alta in northern Norway.
This is the first time we have done an Artic cruise and would like advice as to what clothing to take for the excursions we have booked! Obviously warm stuff but has anyone under, or over, estimated what they would need? Are shoe grips necessary, face coverings etc?

My wife feels the cold a lot more than I do (I have a lot more natural insulation, if you see whet I mean! But then again, a greater surface area through which to lose heat!!) and is begining to fret about what to take!!

TIA.

it is actually not that cold in Alta in March. The average temperature in Alta in March for a typical day ranges from a high of 35˚F (2˚C) to a low of 13°F (-10°C). 
But looking for the northern lights is a stationary and prolonged stay under the open night sky.  On open ship decks it can also feel much colder due to wind.

Best way to dress for the cold is dress in layers.

Use many thin, warm layers rather than a few thick layers. It will insulate better and allow you to strip off layers if the temperature rise.
Also remember to wear more than one layer on your legs. 

Use water proof and insulated boots and wear  warm socks. Wool is best, alternatively good synthetic fleece socks. You can also layer socks.
Personally, I don't like shoe grips.  In snow and ice, I use hiking boots with a good grip.

Use a good quality coat, parka, or jacket. For the coat, the thicker the better,. Can either be synthetic jacket, a wool pea coat, or a down jacket. 

A warm hat is a must as well as  comfortable, warm gloves or mittens. Fingers and hands are very vulnerable to the cold, so keep them covered.

If necessary, use a scarf to cover the face.

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

it is actually not that cold in Alta in March. The average temperature in Alta in March for a typical day ranges from a high of 35˚F (2˚C) to a low of 13°F (-10°C). 
But looking for the northern lights is a stationary and prolonged stay under the open night sky.  On open ship decks it can also feel much colder due to wind.

Use many thin, warm layers rather than a few thick layers. It will insulate better and allow you to strip off layers if the temperature rise.

Use water proof and insulated boots and wear  warm socks. Wool is best, alternatively good synthetic fleece socks. You can also layer socks.
Personally, I don't like shoe grips.  In snow and ice, I use hiking boots with a good grip.

Use a good quality coat, parka, or jacket. For the coat, the thicker the better,. Can either be synthetic jacket, a wool pea coat, or a down jacket. 

A warm hat is a must as well as  comfortable, warm gloves or mittens. Fingers and hands are very vulnerable to the cold, so keep them covered.

Thanks for the tips!

would like advice as to what clothing to take for the excursions we have booked!

Not clothing and maybe not ideal for excursions, but would suggest you consider taking insulated mugs with you, the ones with lids.

We have found them ideal for viewing from outside decks, even a balcony should you have one, as you can put in hot drinks which stay quite hot for ages, and they are a much easier and safer way to carry hot drinks from one area of the ship to another with no chance of spillage.

As a bonus, they can be used for hot weather sailing too, only substituting cold drinks for hot. They will stay cold or chilled for ages.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

On 12/23/2022 at 7:13 AM, hallasm said:

We did a Northern Lights cruise, and can recommend everything mentioned here. I would add wind-proof trousers as a top layer when tromping around an exposed and windy deck, admiring the Northern Lights, and further recommend gloves AND mittens, or shooter’s mittens, where the mitten part can fold back and expose finger-less gloves for using a camera. I also wore a scarf wrapped around my lower face, topped by a woolly hat, topped by the hood of my jacket. Those hygge-type ear/head scarves are very useful too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2022 at 2:13 PM, hallasm said:

And water proof or at least water resistant outer layer could be useful addition in the case it rains (especially if the rain comes in wet form rather than as snow), although the rainy weather will also  mean that there is zero chance to view any aurora as the clouds will block the view. But assuming you are willing to do also other outdoor activities, keeping yourself dry will make the experience more enjoyable.