Short Port Hours...Same boring Eastern Caribbean Itinerary

ken4556

I’ve said it a million times. HAL should do an overnight at Half Moon Cay

They could do a big party on the beach at night with music then a fireworks show.

Think of all the fuel they would save

Those that don’t like Half Moon Cay

will receive two mints on pillow that night 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If you look at the Caribbean schedule for next fall and spring, you will see that all the itineraries have less ports and less hours.  The 10 day southern caribbean on the Rotterdam with 6 ports has been changed to 9 days with 4 ports.  The 12 day Rotterdam panama canal in the fall doesn't have as many ports as you would expect for a cruise of that length.

9 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I found an unusual one for 11 days next late Oct. on the Eurodam.  Some new ports, at least for us.

We booked this using our "quarantine" credits. We did the Holiday cruise on Prinsendam to these islands (and more) and enjoyed the Lesser Antilles more. Looking forward to going back and as well as getting back on Eurodam

1 hour ago, Wakepatrol said:

I’ve said it a million times. HAL should do an overnight at Half Moon Cay

They could do a big party on the beach at night with music then a fireworks show.

Think of all the fuel they would save

Those that don’t like Half Moon Cay

will receive two mints on pillow that night 

If you said 3 mints, I'd consider 🤣.

HMC is a filler to get schedule for next port so depending on itinerary will be longer or shorter stop.

We get off early, have lunch at the barbecue and usually head back by 2 anyway as the heat kicks up in the afternoon. Drinks are free on ship (with package) and don't cover bar charges on HMC (unless separate package) so a few hours of beach time is ok for us. We've already done horseback riding, kayaking, stingrays, etc in Bahamas, so just a casual break is what we do. Many don't even get off the ship. Save the music and fireworks for the Seaview pool deck. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, REOVA said:

If you said 3 mints, I'd consider 🤣.

HMC is a filler to get schedule for next port so depending on itinerary will be longer or shorter stop.

We get off early, have lunch at the barbecue and usually head back by 2 anyway as the heat kicks up in the afternoon. Drinks are free on ship (with package) and don't cover bar charges on HMC (unless separate package) so a few hours of beach time is ok for us. We've already done horseback riding, kayaking, stingrays, etc in Bahamas, so just a casual break is what we do. Many don't even get off the ship. Save the music and fireworks for the Seaview pool deck. 😉

The same people who don’t get off the ship, are the ones that when they do get off ship walk around the port compound, poke around junky souvenirs, buy a drink at Senor Frogs then say “That Port Sucked, There Was Nothing To Do”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wakepatrol said:

The same people who don’t get off the ship, are the ones that when they do get off ship walk around the port compound, poke around junky souvenirs, buy a drink at Senor Frogs then say “That Port Sucked, There Was Nothing To Do”

True, there are those. But some also say "been there done that" and they don't get off. Especially if there isnt much to see (although most ports have more to see than the tourist traps).  It appears some pick the same itinerary just to be on a ship. We met many people on World Cruises that don't get off the ship at so many ports (over 4 months) because they've been there every year. (Not talking about those that have challenges with tenders or mobility, who would obviously choose to stay). We usually can find different things to do at repeat ports. We always try to do different itineraries to experience different ports and my DW loves HMC.  If you are on HAL in the Caribbean, chances are you'll be at HMC. Since HAL has exclusive lock on the excursions, drinks and food (besides the "free" lunch), others may not want to spend extra $$ off ship. I think if it was up to HAL, they would love to do an overnight try to profit more but would mean adding a day or removing another port in their planned itineraries. Would also mean more overhead for staff and possibly changes to whatever legal or civic agreements with Bahamian government. I'm sure for the 4-5 hours at HMC they bring in plenty of drink, food and excursions revenue for short time the ships are there. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tupper10 said:

I have looked at Celebrity and their prices are crazy - sorry for a mint on my pillow not going to pay way more for a Caribbean cruise.  And unless you are in a suite you are now 2nd class - and the infinity verandas on the new ships are not a veranda.  We were avid Celebrity cruisers but gave up with all their changes and their ridiculous prices.  

I did not mean for this thread to turn into a HAL vs. Celebrity discussions....May I suggest you look at the comparison in a different way.

We are all different and place a different value on how we spend our money. I would not spend my money a Mercedes or a BMW because I am not a car guy and do not see the value in spending the extra money.  On the other hand, I would never fly Spirit airlines as I find value in paying more money in flying Delta and the experience and perks they offer.  If you choose to fly Spirit, that is your choice and does not make you a bad person.

I am on the Celebrity Beyond right now.  We paid a lot more to sail on this ship than the comparable HAL ship.  Why?  We found value in the itinerary, the length (8 days) and dates worked well into on vacation schedule and job commitments.  We also find value in having production shows with singers, music in multiple venues and latter at night, usable internet, and were excited to try a new ship and sail with Captain Kate.

That does not mean we do not find value in taking HAL cruise, we found a better value this year on a Celebrity ship.  If you find value in sailing in a HAL ship instead, that is awesome and I hope you have a fantastic cruise.  

Due to vacations schedules and one part of our family owning and running a family business, taking a longer cruise in October or November is not always an option.

I will repeat what I said in my original post...what is HAL thinking only staying in HMC for such a short amount of time?  Even if you only go on-shore for a short visit or prefer staying on the ship, you have to admit that this short port time is ridiculous.

Merry Christmas!

• Like 3

For those who can schedule it and don't mind a smaller ship, the 14 day Volendam cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on April 1, 2023, has 85 hours of port time with eight consecutive days of port stops! It features St. Thomas and Puerto Rico on either end of stops at St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Guadeloupe, and St. Marten, and two sea days each before and after with the stop at HMC coming at the end. 

Edited by Destiny0315
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, REOVA said:

True, there are those. But some also say "been there done that" and they don't get off. Especially if there isnt much to see (although most ports have more to see than the tourist traps).  It appears some pick the same itinerary just to be on a ship. We met many people on World Cruises that don't get off the ship at so many ports (over 4 months) because they've been there every year. (Not talking about those that have challenges with tenders or mobility, who would obviously choose to stay). We usually can find different things to do at repeat ports. We always try to do different itineraries to experience different ports and my DW loves HMC.  If you are on HAL in the Caribbean, chances are you'll be at HMC. Since HAL has exclusive lock on the excursions, drinks and food (besides the "free" lunch), others may not want to spend extra $$ off ship. I think if it was up to HAL, they would love to do an overnight try to profit more but would mean adding a day or removing another port in their planned itineraries. Would also mean more overhead for staff and possibly changes to whatever legal or civic agreements with Bahamian government. I'm sure for the 4-5 hours at HMC they bring in plenty of drink, food and excursions revenue for short time the ships are there. 

Until covid, I did a Caribbean cruise every winter just for a warm break. I choose a cruise to be on a ship, and it's HAL because I don't want to be on a mega and I balk at the price to be a single on a smaller all-inclusive where I won't make a lot of use of the included items. Even though I've been to most of HAL's ports multiple times, I look for a new excursion or just grab my camera and go out to explore. I look for somewhere local to spend money on a snack or a drink. For repeat ports that I know have little to interest me, I enjoy the quiet of the ship. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, regnig said:

Where do you buy your Gouda? TIA

As you enter the port area through the arch in the photograph below, there is a "Tourist Information" sign at about 2:00 o'clock on the right and three steps up to reach it. Directly behind the booth is a passage way with some small tourist shops selling candy, snacks, etc.  In the back of some of the shops are coolers with the 3 Kg (6.6 pounds) (approx 16" X 6") wheels of Gouda cheese.  If you buy one, bring a backpack.  If more, bring a roller bag for the long walk back to the ship.

Each wheel fits in a huge Ziploc bag and then in a plastic shopping bag filled with ice in my stateroom shower.  Since each wheel is surrounded by the original plastic cover, there is no problem with Customs or airline baggage.  The wheels will last for months in your refrigerator.  Maybe just a wine and Gouda cheese party on your balcony?

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/st-maartens/st-maartens-2010-caribbean-westerdam-032.jpg