No FCC despite big price drop after final payment

Middleager

My wife and I are booked on 2023.1.12 Jade, South Africa cruise. The recent NCL promo of 2nd guest free, makes the total a lot cheaper.

I contacted my TA, and he tried with 2 NCL agents, but the answer is no FCC.  Even though the total is a lot cheaper, the first passenger is at higher rate, therefore no FCC. 

Some friends are interested with these lower rates, if they go they'll pay a much lower rate than us.

Such is the risk you take when you book early.  Would you expect NCL to ask you for more money if the fare went up after final payment?

You were happy with the price when you booked, weren't you?  NCL is not obligated to re-price your cruise or refund when your cabin category goes down in price.

My upcoming cruise went down $100 just before FP, I called to get the drop and then make my payment.  The price for my cabin is now higher than I paid...

Edited by hallux
  • Like 3

We did the 21 night Panama Canal cruise on the Encore in October that had a big price drop after final payment. Pretty sure from now on we won't book any long cruises until after final payment. I think on our cruise it was at about 50% occupancy. Not unhappy just now will wait to book long cruises. 

• Like 1

We have a South Pacific cruise coming up in March that went down $2,000 after final payment...such is life I said...no way DW said...she called and we got an email 3 days later giving us a $2,000 FCC to be used within 12 months...how...I have no idea...now when I come to use it let's hope there are no issues 😂

• Like 1

They told me no FCC or OBC due to price drop because we chose to use the airfare with them. I’m unhappy with the airfare so far, as they have booked us to go home 6 days after we were supposed to go home and still haven’t fixed it.  Not super upset about not getting credit due to the price drop- but it will be yet another reason we will probably drop the airfare off our future bookings—- the biggest being the lack of control (even over the date we fly) but the price drop being a small contributor.

FYI our PCC says it’s no price drop calculated for FCC/OBC or anything after 75 days if air thru NCL and 14 days if no air thru NCL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hallux said:

Such is the risk you take when you book early.  Would you expect NCL to ask you for more money if the fare went up after final payment?

I shared my experience and NCL's reasoning for not offering FCC this time.  I've also shared at other times successes getting FCCs after final payment.

You like to lecture people on the obvious.  Thank you and Merry X-mas.

2 hours ago, Middleager said:

I contacted my TA, and he tried with 2 NCL agents, but the answer is no FCC.  Even though the total is a lot cheaper, the first passenger is at higher rate, therefore no FCC.

I always go with the upgrade after final payment, we normally get them for peanuts after the price drop.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Figg1437 said:

They told me no FCC or OBC due to price drop because we chose to use the airfare with them.

Yes, because the airfare was one of the perks at the time you booked, and you chose to accept the airfare perk (I didn't for my upcoming cruise).  When you re-price or ask for a price drop, the new fares are based on the perks at that time, which no longer include the airfare so they can't do it.

36 minutes ago, Middleager said:

I shared my experience and NCL's reasoning for not offering FCC this time.  I've also shared at other times successes getting FCCs after final payment.

You like to lecture people on the obvious.  Thank you and Merry X-mas.

To be fair - most people making a post like yours are doing so to complain about the 'lack of customer service'.  Happy holidays to you too...

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

Yes, because the airfare was one of the perks at the time you booked, and you chose to accept the airfare perk (I didn't for my upcoming cruise).  When you re-price or ask for a price drop, the new fares are based on the perks at that time, which no longer include the airfare so they can't do it.

To be fair - most people making a post like yours are doing so to complain about the 'lack of customer service'.  Happy holidays to you too...

Yep, it’s actually still a part of the current sale- but I get it because you can no longer add the air perk to new bookings that are that close. So to NCL that’s one reason they can drop the prices because they won’t be having to give the air promo and that cheap price.  That’s why I said, for me- it’s another reason I’m considering removing the air from my future bookings.  Our next sailing with NCL after this is Alaska in 2024 and I feel that’s a further flight for us- so the issues I’m having with such a short flight this time (ie them booking completely the wrong day) could potentially get multiplied .  For me the possibility of a price drop is only a small part of the equation.  Was just sharing information so others may benefit from it in the future. 

1 hour ago, CaptainBazz said:

We have a South Pacific cruise coming up in March that went down $2,000 after final payment...such is life I said...no way DW said...she called and we got an email 3 days later giving us a $2,000 FCC to be used within 12 months...how...I have no idea...now when I come to use it let's hope there are no issues 😂

We got a $1200 FCC due to a price drop after final payment. Like you, the email came three days later. We've already used the FCC on our January Prima cruise, along with my 10% Veteran's discount and a $250 Cruise Next. It worked out great.

• Like 2