Gala nights dress code for men

barbon2

On 12/25/2022 at 3:21 AM, RedneckBob said:

I saw this guy on HAL fifteen years ago when HAL started “As You Wish Dining” 😀

Ha, ha, ha.  And here I was thinking of wearing a lobster costume!

On 12/25/2022 at 1:33 PM, lobsternight said:

Generally in MDR or specialty restaurants i wear a suit and tie, but I do it for me.  I have booked a cruise in April for my DW, a surprise for our 30th.  I plan on sneaking  my old Tux with us for that night.

14 hours ago, lissie said:

Any guesses how many gala nights we will have on our Boston/Iceland/Boston cruise in July?

IIRC, there were four on the 2022 version of the same cruise, and this year's cruise is one day longer. I would expect 4 'dressy' nights. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 12:42 AM, KroozNut said:

Would need more info (like itinerary) to give you a better answer on the formal nights, and you won't know for sure until you get onboard. But in general, they typically are on the first sea day near the beginning of the cruise, and a sea day returning from the cruise. They are usually not on a port day, unless the particular itinerary warrants it.

Yes, they typically have an 'early' and a 'late' show in the main show room to accommodate the fixed dining times in the MDR.

Thanks for your response. Our cruise is Fort Lauderdale, Half Moon Cay, Sea day,

Curaçao, Aruba, Sea day, Sea day and Fort Lauderdale.

Someone thought the night of Half Moon Cay. I’m not sure why?!  I was thinking the first Sea day and second to last Sea day?!  I wasn’t able to get an answer from our Holland Rep.  Just wanted to make dinner plans.

I do recall the early and late show times. So much has changed! 

1 hour ago, shiny1 said:

Thanks for your response. Our cruise is Fort Lauderdale, Half Moon Cay, Sea day,

Curaçao, Aruba, Sea day, Sea day and Fort Lauderdale.

Someone thought the night of Half Moon Cay. I’m not sure why?!  I was thinking the first Sea day and second to last Sea day?!  I wasn’t able to get an answer from our Holland Rep.  Just wanted to make dinner plans.

I do recall the early and late show times. So much has changed! 

With that itinerary, I would say your two 'dressy nights' would be (1) the sea day after HMC, and (2) your first sea day after Aruba.

Your itinerary is very similar to our Caribbean sailing in March, and that is what we're expecting for our 2 dressy nights.

On 12/23/2022 at 4:00 PM, KroozNut said:

'Average' is difficult to pinpoint, since what men wear on 'dressy nights' (as they're called now) runs the full gamut; from a polo shirt and slacks to a full-on tux with tails (and everything you can imagine in between).

Current minimum requirement is a collard shirt and long pants. I usually war a dress shirt (no tie), blazer and slacks.

I don't think I could be comfortable in a shirt made of loose-leafed greens!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, billbunger said:

I am pretty sure you could wear the same outfits every day and not many would notice or even care. 

I take a pair of shorts(1), pants(1), suit(1) and 5 shirts.   Other than compliments on my attire no one notices.   Other than the suit/jacket, the clothes are permanently in my suitcase.   No need to pack.   Grab the case and leave.    Really annoys my wife

• Haha 3