Gala nights dress code for men

barbon2

10 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

So, the "Orange Booklet" is out of date?

Possibly! I haven't heard or seen them called Formal Night in a while.  Has anyone else here seen one called Formal within the last six months?

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

Possibly! I haven't heard or seen them called Formal Night in a while.  Has anyone else here seen one called Formal within the last six months?

No, but the 'Orange Booklet' provides guidance for both 'Dressy' and 'Formal' attire, which makes it even more confusing.

3 hours ago, oakridger said:

Yes.  On the recent Grand Africa they had both dressy and formal nights.  I was curious as to the difference, but the updated Know Before You Go (KBYG) spells it out. Not sure if we will see "formal nights" on shorter cruises, but HAL seems to be thinking of having them on longer cruises, or at least the Grands.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know which are the two Gala nights on a seven day cruise on

Nieuw Statendam? I assumed the 2nd night and possibly the 6th night?

Also, would someone know the times of the shows in the main theater?

I thought one early show and one later show?

Thanks for any info!

6 hours ago, shiny1 said:

Does anyone know which are the two Gala nights on a seven day cruise on

Nieuw Statendam? I assumed the 2nd night and possibly the 6th night?

Also, would someone know the times of the shows in the main theater?

I thought one early show and one later show?

Thanks for any info!

Would need more info (like itinerary) to give you a better answer on the formal nights, and you won't know for sure until you get onboard. But in general, they typically are on the first sea day near the beginning of the cruise, and a sea day returning from the cruise. They are usually not on a port day, unless the particular itinerary warrants it.

Yes, they typically have an 'early' and a 'late' show in the main show room to accommodate the fixed dining times in the MDR.

On 12/25/2022 at 12:56 AM, Reds4life said:

Do you guys wear jackets in the Caribbean? If so, why? It is pretty warm. I am a professional person with two post graduate degrees and don't understand the logic in that. You can look just as "nice" without a jacket. People get married on the beach and don't wear that stuff. A jacket isn't really a ticket to elegance 

Yes its warm in the Caribbean but most of lines keep their ships pretty cool, on our NA cruise last month it was probably the coldest we have ever been on a cruise ship, I'm still thawing out.

33 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Yes its warm in the Caribbean but most of lines keep their ships pretty cool, on our NA cruise last month it was probably the coldest we have ever been on a cruise ship, I'm still thawing out.

Coldest  keeps germs from spreading ,a good   idea in a petrie  dish 

My idea of  style  in todays world is a  very nice Hawaiian shirt with collar dark slacks & dark shoes  with my sweater of course for those  chilly inside  temperatures .No more jackets or ties .Gave not worn wither of those in many years ^ never a problem 

Got used to the "freestyle" way of NCL from our recent cruises.  From everyones posts, guessing just long slacks/pants and a button down will do it for me.  I don't pack a sports coat anymore as we don't want that extra garment bag to carry around.

Just now, scooter6139 said:

Got used to the "freestyle" way of NCL from our recent cruises.  From everyones posts, guessing just long slacks/pants and a button down will do it for me.  I don't pack a sports coat anymore as we don't want that extra garment bag to carry around.

Agree & our luggage is already too heavy as it is now

Seriously, I have zero interest in packing fancy clothes ON VACATION that I will wear nowhere else, just to eat a dinner (where I am the customer), surrounded by a bunch of strangers I likely will never see again.  This was already dying a well-deserved slow death prior to COVID and likely accelerate now that many of us don't even have to do "business casual" clothes anymore since a lot more work from home.  No reason people can't opt to dress up if they enjoy it but glad so many lines are no longer requiring it of all their customers. 

Edited by pghflyer

Currently on the Koningsdam and they don't enforce a dress code for the Gala / Dressy nights.

I feel that on these nights - Men should be dressed Business Casual with appropriate pants and a collared shirt at a minimum.  I personally wear a sports jacket but the majority don't. 

If people want to wear, sweatpants, shorts and t-shirts on these nights - there are plenty of alternative options. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pghflyer said:

Seriously, I have zero interest in packing fancy clothes ON VACATION that I will wear nowhere else, just to eat a dinner (where I am the customer), surrounded by a bunch of strangers I likely will never see again.  This was already dying a well-deserved slow death prior to COVID and likely accelerate now that many of us don't even have to do "business casual" clothes anymore since a lot more work from home.  No reason people can't opt to dress up if they enjoy it but glad so many lines are no longer requiring it of all their customers. 

Suits and business casual still exist.   So do forward facing customer jobs.    COVID does not run everyone's life and business.

Edited by bdd123
  • Like 2

Any guesses how many gala nights we will have on our Boston/Iceland/Boston cruise in July? There are a  LOT of port days 

embark 

1 port day 

1 sea  day  

3 port days 

1 sea day 

1 port day 

2 sea days 

6 port days 

1 sea day 

1 port day 

1 sea day 

3 port days 

1 sea day 

1 port day 

debark 

I'm trying to minimize luggage, we already need to pack  some warm gear for Iceland and Greeland, if we can avoid a suit jacket it would make life much easier 

21 minutes ago, lissie said:

Any guesses how many gala nights we will have on our Boston/Iceland/Boston cruise in July? There are a  LOT of port days 

embark 

1 port day 

1 sea  day  

3 port days 

1 sea day 

1 port day 

2 sea days 

6 port days 

1 sea day 

1 port day 

1 sea day 

3 port days 

1 sea day 

1 port day 

debark 

I'm trying to minimize luggage, we already need to pack  some warm gear for Iceland and Greeland, if we can avoid a suit jacket it would make life much easier 

As others on this thread have mentioned jacket is not required

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 9:04 AM, Reds4life said:

One of the Jukebox Rogue singers had almost the identical outfit on in black instead of beige during NYE for dinner, but he was in the Lido.

If that is worn - he's probably too 'young' for HAL - LOLOLO - I kind like it

10 hours ago, lissie said:

embark 

1 port day 

1 sea  day  

3 port days 

1 sea day 

1 port day 

2 sea days 

6 port days 

1 sea day 

1 port day 

1 sea day 

3 port days 

1 sea day 

1 port day 

debark 

I would suspect at least two and probably three. They usually have two per segment, but since cruise is not made up of multiple segments I can only guess. At this time that is what my wife plan on packing for, I will leave the suit behind and go with a sports jacket for more flexibility.

The good thing is they should be far enough apart no one will notice if we wear the same thing twice.

• Like 1