AMAWaterways - On Board Credit - Can I spend it?

aslaw01

I've gotten several quotes for an AMAWaterways river cruise for this summer.  One includes about $1000 in on board credit.  We have never done a river cruise.  My understanding is that the cruise is mostly all inclusive.  My question is could a person spend $1000 on a 7 day AMAWaterways river cruise?

I would ask the TA if this is refundable? Or if they can just discount the cruise price up front or get a check afterwards from the agent? Not sure what is allowed on Ama. It has been years since I sailed with Amawaterways but there is no way I could spend that. I couldn't spend $200 on my last river cruise.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

I would get another quote. It is possible to get a much better deal. Unfortunately CC does not allow us to share TA info

I agree. There is absolutely no way to spend $1000 on board. I would rather get a better cruise fare.

I'm sure sure about this, but I get the impression that OBC costs TA's less than 100%.  So if they won't turn this into a rebate, ask if they can give you double OBC on your next ocean cruise where you can actually use it.

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm sure sure about this, but I get the impression that OBC costs TA's less than 100%.  So if they won't turn this into a rebate, ask if they can give you double OBC on your next ocean cruise where you can actually use it.

It depends on where the OBC is coming from. If it is a rebate of commission, then technically yes it does cost them that much. Or I should say if they were to get fully commission, that is less than they would get.

That is why I asked to see if they could 1) get a discount off of the cruise up front at final payment if Ama allows for it, 2) if the OBC is refunded (will the cruise line give them a check if they don't spend it) or 3) Ask if the agent will write them a check for the amount once they have been paid their commission (after the cruise).

My OBC came from AMEX (so cost the agent nothing) and it was not refundable and I couldn't spend it. 

Edited by Coral

7 hours ago, Coral said:

My OBC came from AMEX (so cost the agent nothing) and it was not refundable and I couldn't spend it.

I stopped using my Platinum card for cruises because I get 3% back from the Citi Costco Visa card.  Once the cruise cost reaches a certain amount that is much more valuable than the AMEX OBC plus the smaller Platinum rebate.

29 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I stopped using my Platinum card for cruises because I get 3% back from the Citi Costco Visa card.  Once the cruise cost reaches a certain amount that is much more valuable than the AMEX OBC plus the smaller Platinum rebate.

I don't have an AMEX card. My agency's travel network was with AMEX. It is my understanding that AMEX is no longer continuing their agent network after this year so they have joined a different consortium. 

I do have a Costco card. Though - if I was to book a big trip in the future (meaning expensive), I think I will get an AMEX card because with all the pandemic issues - AMEX seemed to be the one that stood by their clients the best. Chase seemed to be the most difficult to work with. I dealt with both Chase and Citicard.

Edited by Coral

9 hours ago, Coral said:

I don't have an AMEX card. My agency's travel network was with AMEX. It is my understanding that AMEX is no longer continuing their agent network after this year so they have joined a different consortium. 

I do have a Costco card. Though - if I was to book a big trip in the future (meaning expensive), I think I will get an AMEX card because with all the pandemic issues - AMEX seemed to be the one that stood by their clients the best. Chase seemed to be the most difficult to work with. I dealt with both Chase and Citicard.

I have read the same things about Amex being the best and Chase the worst.  That was one of the factors that led me to keep the Amex Platinum (despite the constant price increases) and drop the Chase Sapphire Preferred after I used the sign-up bonus points.  Now I only have Chase Freedom and only use it for the rotating 5% categories [and never for travel, because it has a 3% FTF].  It's sad – DW and I were very loyal to Chase (going back, respectively, to Manny Hanny and Chemical) but their terrible credit card practices lost us as customers altogether.

• Like 1