Southwest Cancellation Policy

kelkel2

Is anyone versed on the southwest cancellation policy? I want to cancel my reservation with them or at least I’m considering it and want to know my options. Can’t call them. Can you cancel for a refund or is it just a flight credit? We’re booked on a wanna get away fare for 1/20/23. 

2 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

Is anyone versed on the southwest cancellation policy? I want to cancel my reservation with them or at least I’m considering it and want to know my options. Can’t call them. Can you cancel for a refund or is it just a flight credit? We’re booked on a wanna get away fare for 1/20/23. 

Typically you will get flight credit. However during this current mess the system is down and you cannot cancel via their app (st least that has been my experience currently). It should get better by next week 🤞. Good luck!

12 minutes ago, susi_q said:

If you booked wga it will be a credit … but their credits never expire … easy to do online with your confirmation code 

That’s what I was thinking. I just don’t want a credit, I want a refund, but I didn’t think that would be likely. 

As one who works for an airline (not WN), I have lost my sense of humor lately and don’t find that funny.  
Baggage is very rarely lost and in the last ten days, we have had to call the airport police twice to get a passenger out of the office who was threatening violence, calling name and screaming. 

One of them is in the process of being banned from flying our airline.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

As one who works for an airline (not WN), I have lost my sense of humor lately and don’t find that funny.  
Baggage is very rarely lost and in the last ten days, we have had to call the airport police twice to get a passenger out of the office who was threatening violence, calling name and screaming. 

One of them is in the process of being banned from flying our airline.

You must have missed the part where Southwest lost a bunch of luggage lately.

Having had a multiday flight delay on SWA a while back, I wonder why people keep on flying the dysfunctional airline.

Memes of Southwest are plentiful.

BTW the other airline in the meme is United.  You don't work for them do you? 🙂 🙂 

Edited by NMTraveller

2 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

Doubtful; they are scheduled to be up and running by tomorrow.  OP’s flight isn’t for three weeks.

I think this problem will likely be cleared up. My worry is another winter storm and more meltdown. Although I would hope they’re working on fixing this issue with staffing quickly, I still doubt that would change in 3 weeks time.

We actually really like Southwest and they’re generally speaking quite convenient for us. They have a bazillion flights out of Chicago Midway which is our primary airport and most of them are nonstop. Which is really nice. We will fly with them again and will continue to consider them in the future, but it does make me

hesitate.
We have enough time to drive if we have to, so we will use that as a backup plan. Although we REALLY don’t want to. 

45 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

I think this problem will likely be cleared up. My worry is another winter storm and more meltdown. Although I would hope they’re working on fixing this issue with staffing quickly, I still doubt that would change in 3 weeks time.

We actually really like Southwest and they’re generally speaking quite convenient for us. They have a bazillion flights out of Chicago Midway which is our primary airport and most of them are nonstop. Which is really nice. We will fly with them again and will continue to consider them in the future, but it does make me

hesitate.
We have enough time to drive if we have to, so we will use that as a backup plan. Although we REALLY don’t want to. 

It is not staffing as much as an antiquated computer system.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 6:56 AM, 6rugrats said:

Southwest did not “lose a bunch of luggage.”  Most bags are simply delayed, not really lost.

Perhaps a small differentiation as for a multi day bag delay the owner would most likely have to go shopping for new clothes, etc. during the holidays.  Not any fun.  Other bags were lost.