Car service from LAX to hotel in San Pedro

sellwingri

On 12/29/2022 at 9:40 AM, ciera123 said:

Uber or Lyft are most likely the most economical way. 

Does anyone have recent experience with this? We have 4 people with luggage going from LAX to Crown Plaza in San Pedro on a Sunday afternoon.

On 12/29/2022 at 5:28 AM, sellwingri said:

Arriving at LAX in a few weeks.  Should we book a car service to take us to our hotel in San Pedro or just take a cab?  What would be the cost for a cab?  Any recommendations for a car service?

You have to understand the set-up at LAX to be able to make a good decision. Uber, Lyft & cabs cannot pick up curbside at LAX you have to take a shuttle from your terminal to the LAX-it Lot to get your ride. Which terminal you come into matters; from some terminals you can walk to the LAX-it Lot. The make-up of your party matters too, 4 adults is different from 2 adults and 2 kids.

Premium rideshare (Uber Black and Lyft premium) can pick-up curbside, so can private towncar services. They cost more than a standard Uber obviously.

12 hours ago, sellwingri said:

I’m looking for a private car service.  Everyone I’ve found so far has been more than an estimated taxi fare.

And every one should be more than an estimated taxi fare because you are getting a premium service in getting curbside pick-up.

Why not Uber, out of curiosity?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 9:52 PM, scottca075 said:

And every one should be more than an estimated taxi fare because you are getting a premium service in getting curbside pick-up.

Why not Uber, out of curiosity?

Uber and Lyft are not safe in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 11:09 AM, sellwingri said:

Uber and Lyft are not safe in my opinion.

We use Uber to get to and from the airports/cruise ports for all our cruises.  San Pedro, Fort Lauderdale, Seattle, Vancouver and our Vegas trips and never once had an issue even when solo. And those were all as recent as 2022/23.

Just for comparison we booked a mini van with Uber on Jan 6th/23 from the cruise port to LAX and it was $68, we had just gotten off a 30 day B2B cruise and had more luggage than usual hence the larger vehicle.

Your choice but you will pay considerably more through a sedan/limo company to get to and from the same destination and from some prior posts they are not always reliable.

30 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

We use Uber to get to and from the airports/cruise ports for all our cruises.  San Pedro, Fort Lauderdale, Seattle, Vancouver and our Vegas trips and never once had an issue even when solo. And those were all as recent as 2022/23.

Just for comparison we booked a mini van with Uber on Jan 6th/23 from the cruise port to LAX and it was $68, we had just gotten off a 30 day B2B cruise and had more luggage than usual hence the larger vehicle.

Your choice but you will pay considerably more through a sedan/limo company to get to and from the same destination and from some prior posts they are not always reliable.

I have never seen an option to book a mini van. How did you do that?

1 hour ago, coops said:

I have never seen an option to book a mini van. How did you do that?

IIRC I selected the option for 6 passengers   Sorry edited to say it way maybe 4 I chose, I looked back but that information is no longer available.  So much going on at the pick up area in San Pedro I was just happy he called me as he was arriving so he could spot me in the mass of people waiting.

Edited by Sprocket

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update since I’m back from this cruise.  We took a taxi from LAX to a hotel near the pier and from the ship to LAX.  It cost us $80 including tip each way which was much cheaper than any private companies I talked with before the cruise.  We’ll be returning to the same pier on our Panama Canal cruise and will take a taxi again.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 9:04 AM, sellwingri said:

Just an update since I’m back from this cruise.  We took a taxi from LAX to a hotel near the pier and from the ship to LAX.  It cost us $80 including tip each way which was much cheaper than any private companies I talked with before the cruise.  We’ll be returning to the same pier on our Panama Canal cruise and will take a taxi again.

Did you need to take a shuttle to catch a taxi?

8 hours ago, CruisnHallelujahs said:

Did you need to take a shuttle to catch a taxi?

It's complicated.

There are taxi stands inside the parking garage next to Terminal 3 that serves it and Bradley (Terminal B) and one at the end of Terminal 7 that serves it and Terminal 8. The LAX-it Lot for ride share and taxis is next to Terminal 1, so you can walk to it from Terminal 1.

A LAX-it Shuttle stops at all terminals, but in theory, a taxi stand is available to walk to within a terminal or two. LAX is a pretty small airport.

map-LAXGUIDE0721-8da3cdb4a124401e8d561f2

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

It's complicated.

There are taxi stands inside the parking garage next to Terminal 3 that serves it and Bradley (Terminal B) and one at the end of Terminal 7 that serves it and Terminal 8. The LAX-it Lot for ride share and taxis is next to Terminal 1, so you can walk to it from Terminal 1.

A LAX-it Shuttle stops at all terminals, but in theory, a taxi stand is available to walk to within a terminal or two. LAX is a pretty small airport.

map-LAXGUIDE0721-8da3cdb4a124401e8d561f2

Thanks! Very helpful knowing it is walkable. 

On 2/9/2023 at 9:32 AM, scottca075 said:

Yes, but no. there is a taxi stand at Terminal 3 & B, you just have to cross the road to get to it.

Yes.  We picked up our luggage, went out the door, turned right, and the taxi stand was right there. Terminal 7 did have a taxi stand because we went there and got a taxi to LAX

1 minute ago, sellwingri said:

Yes.  We picked up our luggage, went out the door, turned right, and the taxi stand was right there. Terminal 7 did have a taxi stand because we went there and got a taxi to LAX

I was responding to the comment that ONLY Terminal 7 has a taxi stand; which is not quite correct since Terminal 1 has the LAX-it next door and Terminals 3 & B have a taxi stand right there as well. Terminals 2, 4 and 5 don't have easy access to taxi stands, the rest do.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Arrive LAX Terminal 5. I am mobility impaired and travelling solo so have opted to use Airporttransfers.com which quoted $90 (tip not inc) to Crowne Plaza, San Pedro. Are they a wise choice for me?

2 hours ago, DOJO466 said:

Arrive LAX Terminal 5. I am mobility impaired and travelling solo so have opted to use Airporttransfers.com which quoted $90 (tip not inc) to Crowne Plaza, San Pedro. Are they a wise choice for me?

There is no website "Airporttransfers.com" so I am curious where you booked.

When I drop one "t" I get redirected to shuttledirect.com, while it is a legitimate site, I would not use it without knowing the underlying company and a way to contact them directly.