No problem with one pax on Classic alcohol package and one on Premium

zitsky

I see this question sometimes.  I upgraded to Premium alcohol package with old pricing.  Then upgraded my partner with new pricing.  (About $50 more.). I asked him about it but he didn’t think he would get much use out of the Premium drink package.  So I canceled his upgrade.  It was pretty easy to do.  I just went into Order History in the Cruise Planner and there was a link marked CANCEL.

27 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I see this question sometimes.  I upgraded to Premium alcohol package with old pricing.  Then upgraded my partner with new pricing.  (About $50 more.). I asked him about it but he didn’t think he would get much use out of the Premium drink package.  So I canceled his upgrade.  It was pretty easy to do.  I just went into Order History in the Cruise Planner and there was a link marked CANCEL.

Yep I do it every cruise...he's pretty much a beer drinker with the occasional frozen drink.

I prefer the wine offerings on premium plus I like to try different cocktails. 

Tho I must say I'm starting to think it's cheaper just to pay the upcharge as we go.

4 minutes ago, KKB said:

Yep I do it every cruise...he's pretty much a beer drinker with the occasional frozen drink.

I prefer the wine offerings on premium plus I like to try different cocktails. 

Tho I must say I'm starting to think it's cheaper just to pay the upcharge as we go.

I thought about the upcharge.  I just don’t want to keep track of my drinking err I mean charges.  Just set it and forget it.

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I thought about the upcharge.  I just don’t want to keep track of my drinking err I mean charges.  Just set it and forget it.

Yea, but it ran me like $150 more for the cruise.

If it is even close to a breakeven, I'll do it for convenience but I certainly didn't drink anywhere near that on upcharges so next time I'll save the $100.

Edited by KKB

Can I ask when you upgraded? I have upgraded from Classic to Premium for the first week of my B2B- it cost me £91 with Captains Club discount. The rest of my party have waited (we sail Feb)- has it gone up in the past 2 weeks?

53 minutes ago, zitsky said:

We are currently in a transition with these new drink packages and new drink package policies.  I'm not sure we can assume that just because you were able to do this today that going forward both won't have to have the same package.  There are still way too many questions about what exactly is changing with these packages that I wonder if even Celebrity has ironed out all the details and I'm sure there is still a lot of training to be done with staff.

9 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

Can I ask when you upgraded? I have upgraded from Classic to Premium for the first week of my B2B- it cost me £91 with Captains Club discount. The rest of my party have waited (we sail Feb)- has it gone up in the past 2 weeks?

Yes, they announced a change on December 19 although their system clearly didn't have the change those first days (maybe even week).

10 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

Not sure who you are asking.  I paid $191 to upgrade on 11 day cruise with discount.

2 minutes ago, prmssk said:

We are currently in a transition with these new drink packages and new drink package policies.  I'm not sure we can assume that just because you were able to do this today that going forward both won't have to have the same package.  There are still way too many questions about what exactly is changing with these packages that I wonder if even Celebrity has ironed out all the details and I'm sure there is still a lot of training to be done with staff.

The information I provide is accurate when I post it.  I do not speak for Celebrity.  I cannot predict what they will do today, tomorrow or a year from now.

46 minutes ago, zitsky said:

The information I provide is accurate when I post it.  I do not speak for Celebrity.  I cannot predict what they will do today, tomorrow or a year from now.

Accurate to your specific situation where you purchased both during the old and new pricing and may even be specific to the fact that your purchases were made in two different orders.  My point was that I don't think anyone truly knows the answer to this question right now and I wouldn't be surprised if the answer you get is different depending on the agent you talk to because of how much things are in transition right now.  My comment was just a warning to others that we don't really have a clue what Celebrity is doing with these packages (or a number of things).

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

Accurate to your specific situation where you purchased both during the old and new pricing and may even be specific to the fact that your purchases were made in two different orders.  My point was that I don't think anyone truly knows the answer to this question right now and I wouldn't be surprised if the answer you get is different depending on the agent you talk to because of how much things are in transition right now.  My comment was just a warning to others that we don't really have a clue what Celebrity is doing with these packages (or a number of things).

You seem to be stating the obvious?

A bit of a mess for sure.

Was speaking to a Captain's Club agent this morning (after over an hour wait).  I told the agent that I have a basic package which was included with my booking. 

I was put on hold for another 15 minutes while she asked someone else to get answers to what I thought were simple questions - 

She could not answer: 

- the cost differential if I wanted to upgrade our packages since I read that elite passengers get a discount to upgrade.  But that discount amount seems to be 10% or 15% depending on where you look 🤦‍♀️)

-  why the option to upgrade is not showing up on my planner

So basically I was told that the system is being worked  on (common theme lately) and I should check my planner again in a few days and then would be able to do this on line or the app.  Or otherwise call back.  MMMM

Incidentally, we are taking our first Viking cruise next month and am blown away by their customer service including getting a person who deals with your questions and follows up with emails whenever anything comes up to make sure your issue is resolved.  What a concept.    

Edited by Mimiya11

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss Celebrity.  I have been on Viking and only one cruise on Celebrity so far but I was impressed.  I’ve never had anything like an hour hold time with Celebrity. 

I would try Viking again but at 56 I’m below the approved age limit of 90.  My partner won’t cruise with them because the pax are so old.  Not kidding.  🙂

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

There seems to be conflicting reports, but if you have the Classic package and get something over the $10 limit, do you still only pay the difference?  With the increased upcharge to upgrade, it does not make sense for us to pay it if we only pay the difference in the drink amount and not the full price.  Don't see any mention of this on X site.

15 hours ago, zitsky said:

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss Celebrity.  I have been on Viking and only one cruise on Celebrity so far but I was impressed.  I’ve never had anything like an hour hold time with Celebrity. 

I would try Viking again but at 56 I’m below the approved age limit of 90.  My partner won’t cruise with them because the pax are so old.  Not kidding.  🙂

Not at all dismissing Celebrity.  We love Celebrity once on board.  We are going on the Apex next month (our 9th Celebrity cruise) and back on Apex on a TA in November.  Just not too pleased with the current pre-cruise issues, changes, inconsistent customer service, which we have never encountered in all our years cruising with Celebrity.   

As far as Viking, hopefully that is not the case on the Panama Canal cruise, where most excursions are considered a bit more strenuous 😉    Worth a try.   Should be interesting...

21 minutes ago, blueboro said:

There seems to be conflicting reports, but if you have the Classic package and get something over the $10 limit, do you still only pay the difference?  With the increased upcharge to upgrade, it does not make sense for us to pay it if we only pay the difference in the drink amount and not the full price.  Don't see any mention of this on X site.

The FAQs still mention just paying the difference. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/beverage-packages

• Like 1