Question about accessible cabin on Westerdam

meh56

My husband and I are booked in Cabin 8068 on the Westerdam to Alaska. I was able to obtain this cabin as I thought it would work best for him. As I was getting

ready to make a scooter reservation I wanted to check the HAL Guest Accessibility to ask some questions. One of my questions was regarding the bathroom

to see if it was a walk in shower. The gentlemen told me this cabin has a bench tub. My husband disease is progressive  so I want to make sure it is something he is comfortable with.  I need some help as I have not heard this term. The gentlemen tried to explain it to me but it sounds like he would sit on this bench and then have to swing his legs of into the tub.  Lifting his legs is difficult for him so I would appreciate if you can tell me if I am correct.All of the other features he could use, no steps into the bathroom and the balcony. They sent me photos but of the room only. Any help is appreciated.

From pictures on cruisedeckplans of the same cabin on Zuiderdam, the bathroom has both a tub, and a shower with fold down bench.  Go to cruisedeckplans, choose Holland America, then Zuiderdam.  On the left, scroll down to signature suite, click on handicap cabins, then the tiny camera icon on cabin 8068.  All of the accessible signature suites appear from pics to have this type bathroom.  EM

This is a picture I took of 6108 in 2010.  you can see the shower apparatus in front of the toilet, the wall bench is hidden by the curtain

00-WxZi_LU868kT2HrtfQ4xeUif5jgFlzWejUl8v

Edited by Essiesmom
add picture

Thank you all for your help. My husband is not able to do a bench tub or it is also called a 

transfer tub. With the help of HAL special service we were able to find a cabin but had

to upgrade to a Neptune suite.  We would have had major issues if I had not called to check

on the bathroom as the description they have was not correct. If anyone is familiar with this

cabin we would love to hear about it. Thanks again.

6 hours ago, meh56 said:

Thank you Essiesmom - The guest accessibility rep sent me the same photo as you posted. He said

signature suite 6164 is the same as 6175 so we will have exactly what we need.

Interesting…that they should use a photo I took.  I guess it’s public property, as I did send it to cruisedeckplans.  EM

I think that he searched to find a photo so I could see the bathroom.  I have thought about taking

a photo of handicapped cabins are they are few and far between. As someone who husband

has needs I really appreciate finding photos before we travel. It is much appreciated.

You really should join cruisedeckplans.com if you haven’t already.  Yes, there is a modest fee if you want to see the pics (but pics of HC cabins are always free to see) but he pays $.50/cabin pic, $.25 for other ship pics.  You could recoup your membership fee with one cruise.  EM