On Regatta now

Mrs f.

On 1/21/2023 at 12:59 PM, zalusky said:

"One time I wanted a daiquiri and was told only the pool bar has the ingredients for it and it is not open in the evening."

It seems the bartender was disinterested in making a frozen drink, rather than actually lacking the components. If you wanted the daiquiri on the rocks, the scenario is even more bizarre. 

I'm assuming you wanted a traditional lime daiquiri, as opposed to a banana daiquiri, or other variant. A basic daiquiri requires:
White rum.
Lime juice.
Simple syrup.

All three ingredients are used in a multitude of drinks and any bar would have all of them. However, in fairness, if O directs their bartenders to use fancy-schmancy Demerara sugar to make the simple syrup for the "tropical" drinks or rim the glasses, the bartender could have been stymied for a moment, due to unavailability. Said bartender should have then offered to make the drink with standard simple syrup and rim the glass with white sugar.

Really, I think this was just a matter of subpar bartending, which is troubling by itself.

4 minutes ago, no1talks said:

It seems the bartender was disinterested in making a frozen drink, rather than actually lacking the components. If you wanted the daiquiri on the rocks, the scenario is even more bizarre. 

I'm assuming you wanted a traditional lime daiquiri, as opposed to a banana daiquiri, or other variant. A basic daiquiri requires:
White rum.
Lime juice.
Simple syrup.

All three ingredients are used in a multitude of drinks and any bar would have all of them. However, in fairness, if O directs their bartenders to use fancy-schmancy Demerara sugar to make the simple syrup for the "tropical" drinks or rim the glasses, the bartender could have been stymied for a moment, due to unavailability. Said bartender should have then offered to make the drink with standard simple syrup and rim the glass with white sugar.

Really, I think this was just a matter of subpar bartending, which is troubling by itself.

Maybe so I asked for a watermelon daiquiri and he said they did not have the ingredients.   He could have suggested what they could have done but as you said.  In Horizon I was looking for an ice cream style drink at one point and did not see anything available.  They all have different menus and the pool bar is the only one with the big selection of margarita’s and Daiquiris.  Which does not help when they are closed  at night.

2 hours ago, zalusky said:

I have to disagree.  Why did they redo the rooms recently that cost a lot of money.  They could have spent that all on food.   At a certain point we all die and they have to bring in younger people.

I don’t even understand how not having bathrooms next to the Horizon even passed code.  Of course they probably don’t have building codes.

Now I am not a complete whiner.  The staff and guests were great.  Everybody was very friendly.  Everytine I sat down I had wonderful conversations.  Even the six plates of snack surprise in our room after the penguin parade was appreciated.

Our butler was 0 to 60 in all our needs.

However the things I mentioned detracted from my enjoying the cruise.  I was also surprised that given all the hype about the food.  I was somewhat unimpressed except for the Waves grill which I hit many many times.  The Terrace grill had its moments but was also quite repetitive.

2 hours ago, zalusky said:

I have to disagree.  Why did they redo the rooms recently that cost a lot of money.  They could have spent that all on food.   At a certain point we all die and they have to bring in younger people.

I don’t even understand how not having bathrooms next to the Horizon even passed code.  Of course they probably don’t have building codes.

Now I am not a complete whiner.  The staff and guests were great.  Everybody was very friendly.  Everytine I sat down I had wonderful conversations.  Even the six plates of snack surprise in our room after the penguin parade was appreciated.

Our butler was 0 to 60 in all our needs.

However the things I mentioned detracted from my enjoying the cruise.  I was also surprised that given all the hype about the food.  I was somewhat unimpressed except for the Waves grill which I hit many many times.  The Terrace grill had its moments but was also quite repetitive.

Of course you have to disagree