First time MSC cruiser with a check in question

jkneern

Looking forward to our first MSC cruise.  When I received the e-ticket it gave us a boarding time of 2:30.

We are frequent cruisers and like to make the most of our 1st day so we always plan for early arrival.

MSC did give us a status match for both NCL and Carnival platinum status and we are "gold".

I called to enquirer about an earlier time but can't seem to get anywhere with it and was told the port assigns the check in times.

I know that is not true and the agent actually told me they are told to tell passengers that??

Anyone know if we can change our time somehow?  Just show up early as planned or is there another dept I can try?  Really hoping we don't have to wait outside for several hours, that won't be a good start....

7 minutes ago, jkneern said:

Looking forward to our first MSC cruise.  When I received the e-ticket it gave us a boarding time of 2:30.

We are frequent cruisers and like to make the most of our 1st day so we always plan for early arrival.

MSC did give us a status match for both NCL and Carnival platinum status and we are "gold".

I called to enquirer about an earlier time but can't seem to get anywhere with it and was told the port assigns the check in times.

I know that is not true and the agent actually told me they are told to tell passengers that??

Anyone know if we can change our time somehow?  Just show up early as planned or is there another dept I can try?  Really hoping we don't have to wait outside for several hours, that won't be a good start....

From what I've ascertained - embarkation with MSC is rather pell-mell. They apparently don't pay any attention to assigned times, so we are (for our first MSC sailing in April) going to be there early. If for no other reason to book specialty dining once onboard, since they don't have that option pre-cruise for the short sailings... stupid, but that's the way they do things !

Tom

On my January 2022 cruise on Meraviglia , they never looked at boarding times, but there were less than 600 passengers onboard. On Divina in October, they were only letting people in at or after their boarding time. You can show up early and see what happens, just be prepared to possibly wait.

44 minutes ago, jkneern said:

This is, in fact, true.

Is it the same for YC?  I ask because I started with a 10:30 time and now it changed to 12:00.  I have already booked my transport from Orlando-Port.  I'm happy to wait somewhere with a book though, rather than try and change it.

Thanks,

PM

8 minutes ago, TheJester said:

We’ve just printed our cruise tickets today. It says on the ticket that if we arrive before the check-in time we won’t be admitted to the terminal.

Unsure if this is true or not. 

Please - keep us updated !

8 minutes ago, PammyMouse said:

Is it the same for YC?  I ask because I started with a 10:30 time and now it changed to 12:00.  I have already booked my transport from Orlando-Port.  I'm happy to wait somewhere with a book though, rather than try and change it.

Thanks,

PM

I'm curious... your original boarding docs I assume were printed - not sure how this process works with MSC? Does the 10:30 time show on there? How were you notified of the new time (did you discover it by chance, or email/text)? I'm just wondering what would happen if you had the original one printed, and showed up with that... I doubt they'd be double checking everyone at the terminal. 

I've never (in 100+ sailings on other lines) encountered a situation where they change your arrival time - unless due to late arrival, etc. From what I've read, it seems to be standard procedure with MSC. 

Tom

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'm curious... your original boarding docs I assume were printed - not sure how this process works with MSC? Does the 10:30 time show on there? How were you notified of the new time (did you discover it by chance, or email/text)? I'm just wondering what would happen if you had the original one printed, and showed up with that... I doubt they'd be double checking everyone at the terminal. 

I've never (in 100+ sailings on other lines) encountered a situation where they change your arrival time - unless due to late arrival, etc. From what I've read, it seems to be standard procedure with MSC. 

Tom

It’s happened a couple of times to us with MSC. Checked boarding documents online, noted check-in time and then when I went to print them the time had changed. Once cruising from the UK and once from Italy. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

It is strange.  The first time I got my cruise ticket (the long version) it said 10:30, so did the MSC for Me.  Recently the cruise ticket says 12:00 and the boarding pass I get online still says 10:30.  MSC for me app says 12:00.  Can't seem to check it now, but a few days ago this was the case.  At any rate, I can sit around with a book, or watch the embarkation show if I am told to wait.

PM

13 minutes ago, PammyMouse said:

It is strange.  The first time I got my cruise ticket (the long version) it said 10:30, so did the MSC for Me.  Recently the cruise ticket says 12:00 and the boarding pass I get online still says 10:30.  MSC for me app says 12:00.  Can't seem to check it now, but a few days ago this was the case.  At any rate, I can sit around with a book, or watch the embarkation show if I am told to wait.

PM

THANKS

Not trying to be nit-picky, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the whole MSC process, being a total newbie !

So - there's an app for that (MSC for me)? What's required at check-in, I assume both a printed pass or the app version is acceptable?

When you say the "cruise ticket", is that something you receive via email or is that something you download and print from the MSC site?

When you say your "cruise ticket" has changed, and now shows as 12:00, how were you notified of that, or how did you become aware of that?

Tom

16 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

THANKS

Not trying to be nit-picky, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the whole MSC process, being a total newbie !

So - there's an app for that (MSC for me)? What's required at check-in, I assume both a printed pass or the app version is acceptable?

When you say the "cruise ticket", is that something you receive via email or is that something you download and print from the MSC site?

When you say your "cruise ticket" has changed, and now shows as 12:00, how were you notified of that, or how did you become aware of that?

Tom

No worries, and every cruise line has their own way of doing things (I'm also a bit of a worry-wort and dig into everything I can to understand the processes). There is an MSC app, on my iPhone it is MSC for Me.  I can see my current cruise and embarkation time in my profile.  

The cruise ticket was available for me after I completed Web Check In (see attached), I have been getting updated(?) copies from my travel agent.  The boarding pass is also available on the same page.  Today they are all consistent at 12:00, butt that took a bit. I'm not sure I can change my Orlando-Port transportation, but I will e-mail the company.

Cheers,

PM

Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 8.31.40 AM.png

Edited by PammyMouse
left email in the image.
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't it be up to the line minder the person who checks your document as you enter the pre-security line? 

Most of the time that is someone that works for the contract company that staffs the port. Sure they could be following directions of the Cruise company or they could not. I sail out of NYC and Brooklyn and its been hit and miss for 3 different lines, same line different times even if they are checking times. 

Last time I was told I couldn't enter not my time, but went to a different entrance and was let thru. Go figure, YMMV

My gut feeling is that they would allow you to check in.   Again, gut feeling only.  If they gave you a hassle, I'd say that customer service told you that it was a recommended time only and they'd let you in if you arrived early.

41 minutes ago, onejeepster said:

Just a heads up if you are trying to use the "MSC for Me" app, it's only available on the Smart Ships in the fleet.

It will not work for our upcoming cruise in April as it seems the Divina isn't a smart ship.  

Which begs the question... which are the "smart" ships?

Tom