Rome

jdc

Hi...

my wife and I are going to be in Rome for a couple of days pre-cruise. My niece is there attending a program affiliated with Duke. Question(s):

1) does anyone have any experience with a nice hotel on the Vatican side of the River?

2) It's her 21st birthday while were there...any recommendations on a restaurant that would be worthy of that event?

as usual, thanks for the help..you've never steered us wrong.....

jeff

The La Terraza at the Hotel Eden is one of the highest rated restaurants in Rome.

I booked it for my 50th and cancelled only because my tour group went to La Cisterna which was a wonderful place to have a fun time. Not great food, but, 300 year old former jail with singing waiters with accordians and great senses of humor.

JDC,

If your niece is at the Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies, I attended the same program in 1973/74. It's a wonderful program and all of us alumni "Centristi" are very enthousiastic about it.

If your object in staying on the Vatican side of the Tiber is to be near your niece, I wouldn't bother. I don't believe that there are any really good hotels near the Center. The neighborhood is charming and residential, but has few facilities for tourists. In any case, ICCS students, outside of their classes and field trips, tend to like to spend as much time as possible in the historic center of Rome.

The most spectacular restaurant for a 21st birthday might be the rooftop restaurant at the Hassler Hotel. Ask for a table by the windows overlooking the Spanish Steps.

BTW, which cruise are you taking? We are booked for the Voyager's November 4 transatlantic from from Civitaveccia to Fort Lauderdale.

Last time I was in Rome (2004) we stayed at a boutique hotel on the Vatican side of the river. Dei Mellini http://www.hotelmellini.com/. We really liked it. Ask for a deluxe double , not that much difference in price with the regular and IMO nicer. I really like this location because it is quiet yet you can easily walk everywhere( well maybe except the colosseum).

With respect to restaurants , I usually go to casual ones. I'm not sure if its what you're looking for.

Have a lovely time in the eternal city!!

We also stayed at the Hotel de Mellini last May. Quiet and safe area. We walked everywhere. It's also close to the city tour "hop on and off" bus stop. If you go, ask for a top floor room with the tiny balcony. It was nice to have doors that opened for the fresh air and a view of the neighboring rooftops. We booked directly through the hotel and got a pretty good deal. When we had to change the dates, they honored the price quoted many months prior. Friends stayed at the Hotel Pantheon and raved about the views.

My brother loved the rooftop restaurant at the Hotel Eden. A little too pricey for our budget. Good luck and have fun.

A couple of years back we ate at this restaurant. It was quite superb. It was just before euros and so we were handing over a fair number of 100,00 lire notes. The meal came to about £100 sterling a head (about $165). That included everything (wine , service, etc.) It would probably be a little more now but the food, service and ambience was just great.

If you want a speacial occasion and are willing to spend that sort of money, I can recommend it.

Regards,

Richard

Archived