Looking for skip the line tour of the Vatican

mexicobob

If seeing the Sistine Chapel is important to you, I would consider one of the before- or after-hours tours that allow you to be in there with very few others.  

I did it with Italy with Us years ago, when they first started these tours, and it was an amazing experience.  Very expensive, but to me worth it to be in the chapel with just our group of twelve for a half hour.  

My first visit to the museums was a few weeks after 9/11 and it was crowded, but nothing like it was a year later and subsequent visits.  I had no idea how good I had it the first time but even that was overshadowed by the private tour.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

If seeing the Sistine Chapel is important to you, I would consider one of the before- or after-hours tours that allow you to be in there with very few others.  

I did it with Italy with Us years ago, when they first started these tours, and it was an amazing experience.  Very expensive, but to me worth it to be in the chapel with just our group of twelve for a half hour.  

My first visit to the museums was a few weeks after 9/11 and it was crowded, but nothing like it was a year later and subsequent visits.  I had no idea how good I had it the first time but even that was overshadowed by the private tour.

We hired a private individual guide to walk us through the museum and it was well worth it.  However, we did not have the before or after hours as you suggest.  So the chapel was very crowded for us.  I think having just a small group in there would be well worth the money as you suggest.

If you want to skip the line you need to book with the vatican directly. But you could only do it once you were there and could give them local contact information. I toured years ago, and went through the line with an outside company because I like to plan, so things could have changed.

8 minutes ago, rjwex said:

If you want to skip the line you need to book with the vatican directly. But you could only do it once you were there and could give them local contact information. I toured years ago, and went through the line with an outside company because I like to plan, so things could have changed.

Even then you are not "skipping the line."  You have a ticket to enter at a specific time.  There will be others waiting in line for the same time you have.  But, you aren't waiting 90+ minutes to get a ticket and wait in another line.  

The Breakfast ticket is good if you don't want to be herded through the Museums (you don't have to be part of a group/tour to feel the herding).  There used to be a Friday Night at the Museums in the Summer that was excellent.  I was literally the only one in the Raphael Room and there were maybe 20 total in the Sistine Chapel.  I didn't see it listed now or yet...

55 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Even then you are not "skipping the line."  You have a ticket to enter at a specific time.  There will be others waiting in line for the same time you have.  But, you aren't waiting 90+ minutes to get a ticket and wait in another line.  

The Breakfast ticket is good if you don't want to be herded through the Museums (you don't have to be part of a group/tour to feel the herding).  There used to be a Friday Night at the Museums in the Summer that was excellent.  I was literally the only one in the Raphael Room and there were maybe 20 total in the Sistine Chapel.  I didn't see it listed now or yet...

The afternoon tours are now called "Extra Time" at the Sistine Chapel. It includes Happy Hour. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How far in advance you can buy the tickets depends on the tour you choose.  The more expensive ones go on sale sooner, the entrance only tickets are more limited.    You can book the more expensive tours now through the end of the year.

Admission only tickets are available today through the end of March, so about nine weeks out.

MuseiVA (museivaticani.va)

1 hour ago, boykin said:

how far in advance can you buy those tickets?  Is it guided or on your own?

A few months ahead. Keep checking.

The extra time should be guided, but click on the "more info' link in the description of each tour to see exactly what it covers.  Do a fake booking for the ones on offer now. The description will not change for when you are there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are also just regular evening admission on Friday and Saturday nights after late April. Tickets are not available yet. They don't clear everyone out before starting evening admission like they used to, but should still be a little less crowded than the middle of the day.

1 hour ago, jb12 said:

Some tix are available on Vatican Museum site.  I got mine for all the way in August.

I got one (the "Prime Experience" one) last weekend for late September.  Only snag I had was my credit card was initially declined (the card company immediately sent me a fraud alert), and I quickly took care of that and resubmitted the card info successfully.

6 hours ago, BazingAu said:

It looks like the "Prime Experience" starts at 7:30 am. That doesn't seem possible for a shore excursion from Civitavecchia. Is there a different guided tour that starts maybe after 8 am that isn't as crowded?

No. The crowds are there regsrdless, but one of the small group tours will make it easier to go around and to communicate with your guide.