Insurance Question

REDSTRIPETYPE

So I broke my leg in 3 places playing hockey last Friday ( 10 screws and an 8 inch plate) but the rally crappy part is we were supposed to leave on a 21 day Celebrity cruise this Saturday...obviously that ain't happening ( we did have trip cancellation with Manulife thru Costco).

So my question is regarding medical and travel insurance for our upcoming cruise in November. Is this going to be one of those pre-existing condition problems? I am sure some of those hip and knee replacement cruisers know the answer.

The good news!   I am 70 years old and my wife said she is throwing out my skates and I said " Wahoo! I'm getting new skates!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

When I purchased Manulife through Costco, they asked a LOT of medical questions but a broken bone wasn’t one of them.  When I purchased last September my left arm was in a cast because of a fall.  You didn’t have a joint replacement, and assuming your leg heals well, I would think it would qualify as a “stable” condition. 
please let me know your experience with collecting from Manulife-I’ve read good things about them. 
Heal quickly! 

• Like 2

You’re too funny-new skates!   My husband did that (but not hurt like you) playing hockey the day we were leaving on a cruise.  He saw the chiropractor who luckily fit him in which helped.  Hubby got an earful from me and learned a lesson not to play hockey close to a cruise.  

I would think your upcoming November cruise insurance might only be affected if you have continual follow up appointments.  It might be better to disclose though just in case?  The policy we buy (but isn’t Manulife) has a 7 day look back for pre-existing. Costs a bit more but we feel comfortable purchasing it that way. 

Hope you heal well.  I had to laugh at your statement & told my husband what happened-gave him a chuckle too about “new skates”. 

• Like 1

Oh dear.. My husband says new skates as well!! He is 74 and plays hockey twice a week. it would take more than a broken leg to stop him. We cruise in a week and there won't be any last minute injuries as hockey is cancelled due to 8 team members having covid.

He had a plate and screws over his ankle and made then remove it all after healing as his skate was irritating the area. 

Good luck with insurance and hope you heal fast

20 hours ago, REDSTRIPETYPE said:

So I broke my leg in 3 places playing hockey last Friday ( 10 screws and an 8 inch plate) but the rally crappy part is we were supposed to leave on a 21 day Celebrity cruise this Saturday...obviously that ain't happening ( we did have trip cancellation with Manulife thru Costco).

So my question is regarding medical and travel insurance for our upcoming cruise in November. Is this going to be one of those pre-existing condition problems? I am sure some of those hip and knee replacement cruisers know the answer.

The good news!   I am 70 years old and my wife said she is throwing out my skates and I said " Wahoo! I'm getting new skates!)

How very Canadian of you! Good luck with rapid healing.

On 1/14/2023 at 1:52 PM, canadianbear said:

You’re too funny-new skates!   My husband did that (but not hurt like you) playing hockey the day we were leaving on a cruise.  He saw the chiropractor who luckily fit him in which helped.  Hubby got an earful from me and learned a lesson not to play hockey close to a cruise.  

I would think your upcoming November cruise insurance might only be affected if you have continual follow up appointments.  It might be better to disclose though just in case?  The policy we buy (but isn’t Manulife) has a 7 day look back for pre-existing. Costs a bit more but we feel comfortable purchasing it that way. 

Hope you heal well.  I had to laugh at your statement & told my husband what happened-gave him a chuckle too about “new skates”. 

Name of Company offering 7 day look back for pre existing - do you use.  Have you ever had a claim with them? 

5 minutes ago, jeda4137 said:

Name of Company offering 7 day look back for pre existing - do you use.  Have you ever had a claim with them? 

It is Pacific Blue Cross.  We haven’t made a claim in many years but made two in the past.   One in Puerto Vallarta when my tooth cracked and I had to see a dentist there.  They arranged an interpreter and paid the expenses quickly.  The other was when our daughter was little in Hawaii and ended up in ER. Again, no issue & claim paid quickly.   

Our daughter, now an adult, also used PBC and ended up having to go to the ER while on a trip in Thailand, again no issues.

Just so you know, all 3 of these claims were well under $10,000 though. 

49 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

It is Pacific Blue Cross.  We haven’t made a claim in many years but made two in the past.   One in Puerto Vallarta when my tooth cracked and I had to see a dentist there.  They arranged an interpreter and paid the expenses quickly.  The other was when our daughter was little in Hawaii and ended up in ER. Again, no issue & claim paid quickly.   

Our daughter, now an adult, also used PBC and ended up having to go to the ER while on a trip in Thailand, again no issues.

Thanks for the info.  Probably only available in B.C 

5 minutes ago, jeda4137 said:

Thanks for the info.  Probably only available in B.C 

Pacific Blue Cross  is but Blue Cross I believe is Canada wide.  We have PBC as retired employees.  

Edited by canadianbear
Spelling

Everything that is "Pre-existing" with insurance has a stability period attached to it.

I am playing insurance underwriter now...

Your leg will have to heal and be free of treatments and potentially from physical therapy for a period of time before it would be considered "stable" as a pre-existing condition.

With any pre-existing condition, if they don't consider it stable, you can travel and your insurance will generally cover you for anything that happens OTHER than to the pre-existing condition.  So, if you fell and it was deemed because of the previous leg injury, then you would not be covered.  Other new issues would still be covered as long as they are not directly a result of the leg or pre-existing condition.

This is how I understand it.

Call the insurance company and talk it out with them.  You have to get the information from the source.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, twop'scruising said:

Looking at quotes for the best insurance for two of us @ 67 years old and for three week cruise.  I see Pacific Blue Cross,  Manulife some of you have used.  Has anyone had good luck and prices from BCAA or any automobile association.  

We are fortunate to have work related medical insurance, so we only purchase cancelation and interruption insurance.  BUT, a year ago I was faced with potentially losing my work medical and I have a pre-existing heart condition and over 60.  The best rates and the best experience in pricing insurance for stable pre-existing conditions was CAA.  

On 1/21/2023 at 9:00 AM, canadianbear said:

We are on board the Holland America Zaandam right now.  My husband had a a tooth break off yesterday and the concierge is looking for a dentist for him to see in Puerta Vallarta while in port tomorrow.  Hope your experience was okay!?

24 minutes ago, NiceAunt said:

We are on board the Holland America Zaandam right now.  My husband had a a tooth break off yesterday and the concierge is looking for a dentist for him to see in Puerta Vallarta while in port tomorrow.  Hope your experience was okay!?

Yes, it was years ago so I don’t remember who I saw.  But my insurance company was excellent to deal with and also in providing a translator.  

The X-ray they used was very “old school” but they were very nice to deal with.   Luckily I was at an all inclusive resort and was scheduled to fly home in 2 days.  I was allowed to fly (the dental fellow said just to contact my dentist and advise them the tooth would have to be pulled).  

I hope your husband has a good experience.  Mine was cracked so not sure if your husband will have same outcome.  Wishing him well.  

I previously experienced sinusitis brought on by a tooth (silly me). The ship's doctor prescribed me antibiotics after accurately identifying the problem as a tooth. They set up an interpreter and made prompt payments for the costs. He advised me to get dental care in the port after, but he thought I would be back home soon enough to visit my own dentist. I think certain ports do contain listings of dentists, but using them is always at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2023 at 5:06 AM, CDNPolar said:

We are fortunate to have work related medical insurance, so we only purchase cancelation and interruption insurance.  BUT, a year ago I was faced with potentially losing my work medical and I have a pre-existing heart condition and over 60.  The best rates and the best experience in pricing insurance for stable pre-existing conditions was CAA.  

Who you get your cancellation insurance from - thanks ahead!

We currently are or have used both TD and Manulife.  We find both to be competitive in pricing.

What is important to us now is the Covid part of cancelation or interruption.  Both seem to have reasonable coverage to send you home, but if you have to stay in the country the coverage for hotel and meal cost is limited.