Using FCC for deposit

I think I read that you can now use FCCs for deposits.  My question is then, if you use the FCC for deposit and the booking is a Non-refundable deposit, then you lose the FCC if you cancel before Final Payment?  I haven't been on the Royal boards much lately, so pardon if this has been clarified before.  My search didn't find the exact answer.

Also, have there been any promotions lately where FCC's are given a boost?

Edited by Native Floridian 26

1 minute ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

My question is then, if you use the FCC for deposit and the booking is a Non-refundable deposit, then you lose the FCC if you cancel before Final Payment?

All deposits are lost regardless of how they were funded under the new NRD rules when you cancel. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

How does one recoup their deposit if a cancellation has to be made?  Does RC still have the optional refundable deposit amount when booking a cruise?  TIA 😊

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

How does one recoup their deposit if a cancellation has to be made?  Does RC still have the optional refundable deposit amount when booking a cruise?  TIA 😊

Yes, there still is a refundable deposit option.  On line through the RCCL website the default is NRD, however as you continue through the booking process there is an option to select that.  Or if you call RCCL you can request that directly.  If booking through a travel agent they can also provide either option.  Note that the refundable deposit fares are higher as a result.

With a NRD deposit, you can change your booking for a $100 per person fee, but if you cancel your booking you loose the full deposit.

If canceled directly on line, through RCCL by phone, or through a travel agent if one was used with a refundable deposit, the deposit amount is refunded directly to the credit card used for the deposit.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

In this case, I believe the refundable deposit would refunded as another FCC.  This is a situation where it's easier to not cancel, but move the money to another cruise.

I have booked cruises where I've used a regular deposit from one cruise, moved it to another cruise, and used an FCC to pay down the balance, all at one time.  I may or may not pay the $100 change fee, depending on how the original deposit was funded.

Thank you both for your answers. What I didn’t understand is that there’s a difference between just cancelling a cruise and cancelling a cruise to book another one. 

Now, the policy is if one cancels a cruise that was booked after 5/31/2022…one loses the whole NRD.  Am I correct?  Some deposits are quite high..upwards of $500….what protection does one have to recoup a deposit if the cancellation is due to a severe reason such as serious illness or death in the family?  Does travel insurance cover that in any way?  Of course one can opt to pay the RD amount but I’ve seen those rates increase by a few thousand $$ (unless Royal has decreased those amounts).

Sorry for all the question…thanks for any explanations..😊

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Some deposits are quite high..upwards of $500….what protection does one have to recoup a deposit if the cancellation is due to a severe reason such as serious illness or death in the family?

If you cancel you lose all the deposit. It doesn't matter why.

image.jpeg.77e55bfe5674cac1493ca65eccaa0aa2.jpeg

Edited by Biker19

On 1/14/2023 at 7:12 PM, Native Floridian 26 said:

I think I read that you can now use FCCs for deposits.  My question is then, if you use the FCC for deposit and the booking is a Non-refundable deposit, then you lose the FCC if you cancel before Final Payment?  I haven't been on the Royal boards much lately, so pardon if this has been clarified before.  My search didn't find the exact answer.

Also, have there been any promotions lately where FCC's are given a boost?

Actually I did ask a few days ago if an FCC can be used for a deposit and was told ‘no’ by a travel agent.  I haven’t seen a statement in the Royal policy statements regarding their rule though…🤷‍♀️

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

If you cancel you lose all the deposit. It doesn't matter why.

I understand that part….I was wondering if there is any insurance that covers deposits.  

Just now, ladysail2 said:

I understand that part….I was wondering if there is any insurance that covers deposits.  

RCI's CFAR insurance should but that's a lot of money to cover a fairly small amount. A group rate or even a refundable rate might be a better way to go.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

RCI's CFAR insurance should but that's a lot of money to cover a fairly small amount. A group rate or even a refundable rate might be a better way to go.

I agree..it seems that Royal is wanting us to pay even higher rates, it makes it risky to book far ahead.  Thank you for your answer! 😊

1 hour ago, ladysail2 said:

Actually I did ask a few days ago if an FCC can be used for a deposit and was told ‘no’ by a travel agent.  I haven’t seen a statement in the Royal policy statements regarding their rule though…🤷‍♀️

Currently FCC's cannot be used for the deposit.  During Covid there were FCC's that could be used for the deposit.  One of the dangers of opening an old pos\t.  There is outdated information.

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Currently FCC's cannot be used for the deposit.  During Covid there were FCC's that could be used for the deposit.  One of the dangers of opening an old pos\t.  There is outdated information.

I did say that FCCs couldn’t be used for the deposit…maybe you misread my statement.  Native Floridian 26 said that he/she thought FCCs could be used as a deposit.  It’s good to get it straightened out though.  Thanks for the confirmation.  😊