Flying to Vancouver - Using United from EWR Codeshare on Air Canada - Question

shellyc

We are flying to Vancouver from Newark NJ in the fall for our one way Hawaii cruise.

We use United airlines and have a United Credit Card that allows 2 checked bags.

The only non stop from Newark to Vancouver is a codeshare with Air Canada.\

I can book the flight on United but cannot select seats.

My question is will AC allow the checked bag allowance and

When checking in online do I check in with United or AirCanada.   

In Newark AC uses Terminal A but UA uses Terminal C.  

which terminal do we go to for an international flight to Vancouver..

Not sure what this has to do with the West Coast board...better asked on the Cruise Air board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/

Whose plane are you actually flying on? That is who you check in with. I suspect you are actually flying AirCanada, so you would check in with AirCanada, as you can't select seats through UA.

Regular Air Canada flyer here. Assuming you are flying on Air Canada hardware, I doubt your United CC would give you the free bags. I have a top tier Aeroplan CC and it gives many free inclusions, like free bags, priority everything, unlimited lounge access, etc, but only on AC flights it won't work on United codeshare flights so I doubt yours will work on Air Canada. Have you already ticketed and do you have a booking reference?  Also, what ticket fare class are you flying, as that will determine what freebies you would get included? AC have five Economy classes, Basic, Standard, Flex, Comfort and Latitude. These offer improving amenities and term conditions with increasing prices. Only Flex and higher offer one free checked bag and free seat selection. You can only select AC seats online once you are ticketed.

19 hours ago, shellyc said:

We are flying to Vancouver from Newark NJ in the fall for our one way Hawaii cruise.

We use United airlines and have a United Credit Card that allows 2 checked bags.

The only non stop from Newark to Vancouver is a codeshare with Air Canada.\

I can book the flight on United but cannot select seats.

My question is will AC allow the checked bag allowance and

When checking in online do I check in with United or AirCanada.   

In Newark AC uses Terminal A but UA uses Terminal C.  

which terminal do we go to for an international flight to Vancouver..

If your on the Air Canada non-stop you check in with Air Canada.  

You will need the locator or ticket number.  When you pull up the booking in Air Canada you can attach your Aeroplan or United miles number to the booking.  If there is any special benefits that cross over they will when doing that.  It is unusual to see credit card benefits cross over like that.

You should be able to select seats ahead of time on the Air Canada site.  Free if you have a Flex or higher economy ticket.  There is a fee if it is a lower class fee.  If you fly enough with united to get status in United's loyalty program that will also get you free bags on Air Canada.

I am assuming you have no status with UA.  If you purchase your ticket using your UA credit card directly with UA, you get one free bag for the primary card holder, and one free bag for one companion.  However, your free checked bag is only allowed on UA or UA Express operated flights.  So, no free checked bag on an AC flight.  After you get your record locator number for AC (and it should already show on your reservation on UA's webpage), you can go to AC's page and pull up your reservation.  That will show you if you get free advanced seat selection or not.  For many tickets, you will have to pay.

Thanks for the help.  We are probably going to go with AC from Newark to Vancouver.  

If I choose UA with one stop the fares are way higher.  Not worth the trouble. We will 

pay the checked luggage fees on CA if we have to.  No status with UA.

We are cruising to Hawaii so coming back it will be Honolulu to LAX, sleep over, and United

LAX to EWR.  DH is disable and cannot tolerate a long flight.  5 hours will be tough.

This is a bucket list trip for us retired 75+ seniors.  

4 hours ago, shellyc said:

Thanks for the help.  We are probably going to go with AC from Newark to Vancouver.  

If I choose UA with one stop the fares are way higher.  Not worth the trouble. We will 

pay the checked luggage fees on CA if we have to.  No status with UA.

We are cruising to Hawaii so coming back it will be Honolulu to LAX, sleep over, and United

LAX to EWR.  DH is disable and cannot tolerate a long flight.  5 hours will be tough.

This is a bucket list trip for us retired 75+ seniors.  

The baggage fee from US to Canada is $30US for the first bag $50 for second.

Going back it is also $30 and $50 but in CDN.  Cheaper.  

So if each of you are bringing bags it is only $30 for each of you.

1 hour ago, em-sk said:

The baggage fee from US to Canada is $30US for the first bag $50 for second.

Going back it is also $30 and $50 but in CDN.  Cheaper.  

So if each of you are bringing bags it is only $30 for each of you.

Thank you, that is what we figured. Will code-share CA outbound and UA return.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

United also operate this route themselves, in addition to the codeshare on AC metal; perhaps you could change the booking to the UA operated flight

UA1265 EWR1850 – 2154YVR 7M8 D
UA1652 YVR2300 – 0714+1EWR 7M8 D