Can I use a VPN on my phone with Princess wifi?

Bollycats

I purchased the Plus package so I'll have wifi for the first time. I only use my home wifi on my phone for security reasons. I do have Norton antivirus on it with a VPN option. Will the VPN work with the Princess wifi? I would only be using my phone to check my email. I'd use my tablet for other things like streaming shows and don't mind public wifi for that.

16 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

I purchased the Plus package so I'll have wifi for the first time. I only use my home wifi on my phone for security reasons. I do have Norton antivirus on it with a VPN option. Will the VPN work with the Princess wifi? I would only be using my phone to check my email. I'd use my tablet for other things like streaming shows and don't mind public wifi for that.

I haven’t been able to use a VPN or a travel router in the last several attempts. In fact, internet is so slow, it probably wouldn’t work very well if it did work.

As with any networking inquiry my response is give it a try.  Where others have not had good luck, you may.  I'm not aware that the onboard WiFi intentionally bars the usage of VPNs, but overall network conditions, along with the speed of the Internet may hamper successful usage.

5 hours ago, ChangeOrder said:

I used my VPN on cruises last year without issue, but as @billco said, the speeds were not great and the VPN slowed it down even more. I did not have luck using most two factor auths on ship wifi with my VPN on, but it all worked great with cell signal in port. 

Perhaps this will improve once Starlink is up and running...

16 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Perhaps this will improve once Starlink is up and running...

Princess does not use Starlink... I wish they did

Editted: When I posted this I had not seen that Carnival Corp signed a deal with Startlink. Very happy about this!

Edited by minnesotasisu