Port Imperial Ferry to Manhattan Cruise Port?

Karen4120

7 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It's 9 blocks to the nearest pier of the cruise terminal... close to half a mile. The ferry terminal is at 39th St. and 12th Ave. and Pier 88 of the cruise terminal is at 48th St. and 12th Ave. If your ship is leaving from Pier 90 it's an additional two blocks north of the ferry terminal, so a touch over a half mile.

Still very walkable as long as you can manage your luggage.

We walked it in a very leisurely 13 minutes, carefully timed, each towing a suitcase and a smaller carry-on

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, serene56 said:

the ferry goes to pier 11 but our cruise is pier 88     I am traveling with 5 kids    How much of a distance is that for walking 

Pier 11 is in downtown Manhattan on the East River, while Pier 88 is at 12th Ave and 48th St on the Hudson River, so they are nowhere near each other.

Which ferry are you asking about? If you're asking about ferries that depart Port Imperial in Weehawken there are completely different routes that take you to West 39th and 12th Ave, versus Pier 11 in downtown Manhattan.

The ferry that travels between Port Imperial and West 39th St. is probably what you're interested in. The ferry that docks at Pier 11 is used by travelers to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, not the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The ferry that docks at Pier 11 is used by travelers to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, not the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

And I should add that if you were to take the ferry from Weehawken to Pier 11 in order to get to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal you would then have to take a second ferry from Pier 11 to Red Hook Brooklyn that docks adjacent to the cruise pier.

But I'm add that for clarity when someone else reads this thread because you're apparently going to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and shouldn't be taking any of the ferries that stop at Pier 11.

• Like 1

oh lord    see its more complicated then i thought.  I will be cruisng from Manhatten on Venezia     People said i should look into driving to the ferry in NJ   

can you direct me to where i should be looking 

we are driving from Phila the morning of the cruise 

17 minutes ago, serene56 said:

oh lord    see its more complicated then i thought.  I will be cruisng from Manhatten on Venezia     People said i should look into driving to the ferry in NJ   

I think this is what you are looking for https://www.nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenRoute.aspx

There are many ferry routes that cross between New Jersey and New York, but not every pair of New Jersey port and New York port is connected with a ferry route. Moreover, some ferry routes operate seven days per week, while others operate only during rush hour. Finally, it should be noted that there are three different ferry companies providing these services. Following is a comprehensive list of current ferry services, organized by the port in New York served, so that one can ascertain the potential New Jersey ports from which one might seek to sail.

NY Waterway: www.nywaterway.com

Hornblower: www.libertylandingcityferry.com

Seastreak: www.seastreak.com

NYC Ferry: www.ferry.nyc

Notes:

For the Manhattan Cruise Terminal—Choose a ferry destined for Pier 79, located at West 39th Street on the west side of midtown Manhattan; then walk to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, either Pier 88 or Pier 90 at West 48th Street or West 50th Street, respectively.

For the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal—Choose a ferry destined for Pier 11, located at Wall Street on the east side of lower Manhattan; then connect to the NYC Ferry destined for South Brooklyn and disembark at Red Hook, which is immediately adjacent to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

The Battery Park City ferry terminal is on the west side of lower Manhattan. One can walk from the Battery Park City ferry terminal to Pier 11 in about 25 minutes, the journey itself being 1.2 miles in distance. There is also a free bus, sponsored by the Downtown Alliance business improvement district, that connects the Battery Park City ferry terminal with Pier 11 (not directly, but very close to each ferry terminal). http://www.downtownny.com/about-us/services/downtown-connection-bus

To Pier 79 - West 39th Street

From Edgewater, N.J. - Edgewater ferry landing: NY Waterway, rush hours only

From Weehawken, N.J. - Port Imperial: NY Waterway, all times

From Weehawken, N.J. - Lincoln Harbor: NY Waterway, all times

From Hoboken, N.J. - 14th Street: NY Waterway, all times

From Hoboken, N.J. - NJ Transit Terminal: NY Waterway, rush hours only

From Jersey City, N.J. - Paulus Hook: NY Waterway, rush hours only

From Belford, N.J. - Ferry terminal: Seastreak, rush hours only

To Pier 11 - Wall Street

From Weehawken, N.J. - Port Imperial: NY Waterway: rush hours only

From Hoboken, N.J. - 14th Street: NY Waterway, rush hours only

From Hoboken, N.J. - NJ Transit Terminal: NY Waterway, rush hours only

From Jersey City, N.J. - Paulus Hook: NY Waterway, rush hours only

From Jersey City, N.J. - Liberty Harbor Marin Blvd.: NY Waterway, rush hours only

From Atlantic Highlands, N.J. - Ferry terminal: Seastreak, rush hours only

From Highlands, N.J. - Ferry terminal: Seastreak, all times

To Battery Park City ferry terminal

From Weehawken, N.J. - Port Imperial: NY Waterway, rush hours only

From Hoboken, N.J. - 14th Street: NY Waterway, rush hours only

From Hoboken, N.J. - NJ Transit Terminal: NY Waterway, all times

From Jersey City, N.J. - Paulus Hook: NY Waterway, all times

From Jersey City, N.J. - Warren Street: Hornblower, all day weekdays, no weekends

From Jersey City, J.J. - Liberty Landing: Hornblower, all day weekdays, no weekends

Edited by GTJ

7 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

Even Piers Hudson River

Odd Piers East River

Pier 79 is on the Hudson River. The general rule is to subtract 40 from the pier number to obtain the corresponding street number on the west side.

On 6/13/2023 at 2:32 PM, serene56 said:

The TL:DR version, based on the correct comments above: Drive to Weehawken, stay at one of the of the two excellent hotels (Residence Inn or Envue, both Marriott) located right at the ferry terminal, park cheap at the hotel (compared to Manhattan prices), then take the ferry across the Hudson to the 39th Street terminal and it's a short walk north to Pier 88.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

[S]tay at one of the of the two excellent hotels (Residence Inn or Envue, both Marriott) located right at the ferry terminal, park cheap at the hotel (compared to Manhattan prices), then take the ferry across the Hudson to the 39th Street terminal and it's a short walk north to Pier 88.

That would be a good plan as to being convenient. A similar plan could be had with the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel, also in Weehawken. All of these hotels in Weehawken are relatively modern, and the entire area is fairly homogeneous and sterile. Comfortable, but lacking in any charm or character. that said, all of these Weehawken hotels are adjacent to the light rail line, and it is an easy trip to Hoboken, or someplace else that is also more interesting, for dining or perhaps strolling.

7 hours ago, lx200gps said:

The TL:DR version, based on the correct comments above: Drive to Weehawken, stay at one of the of the two excellent hotels (Residence Inn or Envue, both Marriott) located right at the ferry terminal, park cheap at the hotel (compared to Manhattan prices), then take the ferry across the Hudson to the 39th Street terminal and it's a short walk north to Pier 88.

5 hours ago, GTJ said:

That would be a good plan as to being convenient. A similar plan could be had with the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel, also in Weehawken. All of these hotels in Weehawken are relatively modern, and the entire area is fairly homogeneous and sterile. Comfortable, but lacking in any charm or character. that said, all of these Weehawken hotels are adjacent to the light rail line, and it is an easy trip to Hoboken, or someplace else that is also more interesting, for dining or perhaps strolling.

It appears that the poster is coming from Philadelphia, so there should be no need to stay at a hotel. They can just drive to Weehawken on embarkation morning, park at the Port Imperial ferry terminal and take the ferry across to 39th St.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GTJ said:

Quite true, the Sheraton was also on our list when I was planning our trip as well. The primary issue I had with it, and why I ended up choosing to "...ferry 'cross the Hudson" from Weehawken, was that the ferry terminal near the Sheraton was much smaller and the ferry schedule across to 39Th was not nearly as good as the ferry schedule out of the huge terminal at Weehawken.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It appears that the poster is coming from Philadelphia, so there should be no need to stay at a hotel. They can just drive to Weehawken on embarkation morning, park at the Port Imperial ferry terminal and take the ferry across to 39th St.

Valid point, I just assumed they would overnight at a hotel near the ferry then take it across on Embarkation Day. Even if they are simply driving down on Embarkation day, I would consider it simpler, not to mention cheaper, to park at one of the ferry terminal parking garages at Weehawken, for almost half the daily rate as parking at the MCT, then take the ferry across. When we did it last fall, it was $22/day at the garage closest to the ferry terminal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

The primary issue I had with [Lincoln Harbor], and why I ended up choosing to "...ferry 'cross the Hudson" from Weehawken, was that the ferry terminal near the Sheraton was much smaller and the ferry schedule across to 39th was not nearly as good as the ferry schedule out of the huge terminal at Weehawken.

Certainly the service at Port Imperial has always been the most comprehensive, but there is enough service at Lincoln Harbor such that if other factors weigh in (e.g., cost of hotel room) it is practicable, even in the absence of greatest convenience, to use Lincoln Harbor as a base.

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I just assumed they would overnight at a hotel near the ferry then take it across on Embarkation Day.

The original post had the fact about the intended plan of traveling from Philadelphia on the morning of the cruise vessel departure. Nonetheless, plans can change, and doing an overnight in Weehawken can be a good plan. Best to provide all relevant information for potential choices.

On 6/13/2023 at 7:13 AM, serene56 said:

the ferry goes to pier 11 but our cruise is pier 88     I am traveling with 5 kids    How much of a distance is that for walking 

The Ferry Terminal from Port Imperial is Pier 79. I've walked it a couple of times with luggage to ship the ship in 10 to 15 minutes. Once in the rain and I'm 75.

Edited by jack300s
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jack300s said:

The Ferry Terminal from Port Imperial is Pier 79. I've walked it a couple of times with luggage to ship the ship in 10 to 15 minutes.

Pier numbers are 40 higher than the corresponding street number. Pier 79, used by NY Waterway, is at West 39th Street. Piers 88 and 90, constituting the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, are at West 48th and West 50th Streets, respectively. In Manhattan, there are 20 blocks to the mile. Thus, the distance between Pier 79 and Piers 88-90 is approximately one-half mile. Typical walking speed is 3 miles per hour (i.e., 20-minute mile). Thus, one should expect to walk the distance in about 10 minutes, though with adjustments for age, disability, and/or heavy baggage.

5 hours ago, GTJ said:

Pier numbers are 40 higher than the corresponding street number. Pier 79, used by NY Waterway, is at West 39th Street. Piers 88 and 90, constituting the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, are at West 48th and West 50th Streets, respectively. In Manhattan, there are 20 blocks to the mile. Thus, the distance between Pier 79 and Piers 88-90 is approximately one-half mile. Typical walking speed is 3 miles per hour (i.e., 20-minute mile). Thus, one should expect to walk the distance in about 10 minutes, though with adjustments for age, disability, and/or heavy baggage.

We did it last year and it's a very easy, level walk. Note also that the entire trip, from the Ferry terminal at 39th north up to Pier 88, is done on a pedestrian pathway,  officially known as the Hudson River Greenway, easily visible on Google Street View.  No need to even go near the street (12th/9A). Other than dodging a few maniacal cyclists on the pathway, the walk is very safe

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jack300s said:

The Ferry Terminal from Port Imperial is Pier 79. I've walked it a couple of times with luggage to ship the ship in 10 to 15 minutes. Once in the rain and I'm 75.

I was looking at the walking route on Maps, and it looks like you have to cross over to the other side of the street at some point, up to Pier 90 and then back down to Pier 88.    Is that correct?   Or can you stay on the river side of the street all the way to Pier 88?

20 minutes ago, cruisewiththekids said:

I was looking at the walking route on Maps, and it looks like you have to cross over to the other side of the street at some point, up to Pier 90 and then back down to Pier 88.    Is that correct?   Or can you stay on the river side of the street all the way to Pier 88?

You don't cross the street. 

2 hours ago, cruisewiththekids said:

You walk out of the Ferry Terminal onto a side street that runs along the water. It's a straight shot to the Cruise Terminals. We walked on the sidewalk and side street (4 of us side by side). I didn't notice any cars parked on the street? May be no parking? Others might confirm that.

We're taking a cruise in September on the NCL Escape. Staying at the Residence Inn at Port Imperial Weehawken for the first time. In the past we stayed at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbour. Nice hotel and the Ferry loading dock is right across the street. Thought we'd try something different and the Port Imperial has a terminal and easier access to the ferry stop close to the 911 memorial.

1 hour ago, jack300s said:

You walk out of the Ferry Terminal onto a side street that runs along the water. It's a straight shot to the Cruise Terminals. We walked on the sidewalk and side street (4 of us side by side). I didn't notice any cars parked on the street? May be no parking? Others might confirm that.

We're taking a cruise in September on the NCL Escape. Staying at the Residence Inn at Port Imperial Weehawken for the first time. In the past we stayed at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbour. Nice hotel and the Ferry loading dock is right across the street. Thought we'd try something different and the Port Imperial has a terminal and easier access to the ferry stop close to the 911 memorial.

It's not a sidestreet, it's a car-free walkway that runs all along the Hudson in that area. That's the view as soon as you exit the ferry terminal heading north towards the MCT.  We loved the Residence Inn when we stayed there last September. Tons of parking in the parking garage attached to the hotel

image.thumb.png.80795abd896c49177ae16cba9983ea94.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 12:06 PM, cruisewiththekids said:

On 6/17/2023 at 4:31 PM, lx200gps said:

It's not a sidestreet, it's a car-free walkway that runs all along the Hudson in that area. That's the view as soon as you exit the ferry terminal heading north towards the MCT.  We loved the Residence Inn when we stayed there last September. Tons of parking in the parking garage attached to the hotel

image.thumb.png.80795abd896c49177ae16cba9983ea94.png

Just trying to confirm, you can stay on the walkway once you reach the Intrepid? No crossing the street (as Google maps is showing) to enter the terminal at Pier 88?