Mekong medication/vaccines

hoosier2017

5 minutes ago, hoosier2017 said:

Could anyone who has traveled on the Mekong chime in concerning vaccines/medications their doctor and/or cruise line recommended? Looking at CDC guidelines, malaria medication stands out to me.  Appreciate any advice someone has.   

We just returned from sailing the Mekong for 7 days in the southward direction.  We keep our standard travel vaccinations up to date (Tetanus, Hepatitus, Typhoid), and we have our Covid vaccinations up to date. We did not do any extra vaccinations, and we did not take Malaria medications for this trip. We did bring insect repellant and used it when needed. 

We did this cruise in 2019.  No additional shots or meds needed.  We did bring our own kit with meds for just in case issues (diarrhea, upset stomach, headaches, allergies, moleskin for blisters, etc.).  We went in April and it was HOOOOOT.  We had cool towels and they a life saver.  You might think about bringing some drink mixes to rehydrate.  When we got back, my husband who drinks a LOT of water, was so dehydrated that his kidney function was impacted. 

On 1/22/2023 at 1:07 PM, hoosier2017 said:

Thanks for the replies.  Powdered drink hydrating packets are on my list.  We usually travel with our own pharmacy!  Was there a specific cooling towel you’d recommend? 

I have had some for years, don't remember the brand.  Got them on Amazon and they came in tubes like you get shammies in.  Get them wet and wave them in the air and they get nice and cool.  If you are getting on and off a bus...or a guide has a cooler with waters, try dipping in the cooler water for an extra refreshing feel 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/22/2023 at 8:20 AM, terry&mike said:

We just returned from sailing the Mekong for 7 days in the southward direction.  We keep our standard travel vaccinations up to date (Tetanus, Hepatitus, Typhoid), and we have our Covid vaccinations up to date. We did not do any extra vaccinations, and we did not take Malaria medications for this trip. We did bring insect repellant and used it when needed. 

I second this!   I am not a fan of the malaria meds, find they don't agree with me.  Think they bigger thing is to have all your vaccinations up to date and carry all your OTC travel meds.  

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 3:46 PM, TriMomma said:

I am not a fan of the malaria meds, find they don't agree with me.

Except the folk medicine remedy called the 'Gin and Tonic.'  A little quinine never hurt anybody!  😉

• Like 1