Escape or Encore

sail_ORN

I’ve narrowed down my choices for a New Year’s Eve cruise. The Escape is sailing from Port Canaveral on December 30. The Encore is sailing from Miami on December 31. Both trips are 7 nights , but different ports in the Caribbean. Which of the two would you prefer, and why? 

I already booked the Escape. I live very close to Miami and I refuse to go anywhere near downtown Miami 2 days before and 2 days after NewYear. The traffic is awful, tourists are jay walking and it is just crazy busy in general. If you are planning on flying in/out, book it a day early and have a backup plan, the airport will be a mad zone.

On the other hand, I have sailed both ships and they are both fantastic. I have a soft spot for the Escape because it has the District Brewhouse, Howl at the Moon and I have met some wonderful people on board.

3 minutes ago, stefmaia said:

On the other hand, I have sailed both ships and they are both fantastic. I have a soft spot for the Escape because it has the District Brewhouse, Howl at the Moon and I have met some wonderful people on board.

Yes, Howl at the Moon is a favorite!

Been on both. I would definitely consider both for future sailings, and for the most part, many offerings and service similar. For me (no kids), the pros for each:

PRO ENCORE
Gorgeous, comfortable observation lounge with light breakfast and snacks
Some of my favorite management team and staff on long term contracts there right now
Port of Miami is close-ish to the airport (if driving, I'd put Escape/Port Canaveral in the pro column)

PRO ESCAPE
Spice H20 (adults only sundeck & bar, hot tubs)
Pincho Tapas (fee applies, but really yummy tapas)
Ropes course (not a big deal at all, but I prefer it over the race track on Encore)
Bigger pool (I'm not a huge pool person, so again, not a huge deciding factor for me)

So for me, it comes down to obs lounge, favorite staff, and airprort closeness vs. Spice H20 and Pincho. If it were me, this year, I'd pick Encore. 

Edited by weltek
  • Like 1

Done both within the past year and here are a few of our thoughts:

Escape Pro's:

-Pincho's Tapas (as mentioned by others) is one of our favorites in the fleet.  We've had lunch there on sea days for a change of pace and love it.

- Howl at the Moon - at least 2 evenings per cruise they have this instead of comedy shows and we love it.  (comedy can always be hit or miss, but the talent of the dueling piano players is always great)

- Ropes course (if open) is more our speed (pun intended) than the go-carts

Encore Pro's

- Observation Lounge has the indoor relaxation spot for drinks and light bites (off meal hours).  Great for bad weather or cold weather cruising and the Escape doesn't have anything comparable.

- Thermal Spa is in the aft rather than front of ship...The spaces are similar, but personally we like relaxing and staring out the back of the ship in the spa. (very minor difference)

- Cavern Club - Love the Beatles tribute band!

On other difference that may matter depending upon your inclinations.  We get Vibe passes as we prefer the quieter space and more comfortable loungers.

Escape Vibe is less than 1/2 the size of the Encore Vibe, but I'm sure they manage this by selling less passes.  The Escape Vibe has fully cushioned loungers vs. the Encore which has standard loungers with a simple pillow at the head.  We've enjoyed both spots and the dedicated bar service is phenomenal in both.  I guess if I had to chose and knew I would get a pass and the place wouldn't be overcrowded, I'd pick the Escape Vibe for the more comfortable loungers.

These comments are very interesting and helpful.  I usually pick a cruise based on ports.  However, the observation lounge and spice h20 would be my favorite ship features.  Does another ship have both?

So true on both ships being great - truly two of my favorite NCL ships.  I like Escape Vibe more simply because it's smaller.  My Vibe experience on Encore was great, but when it's more passengers, it loses it's intimate atmosphere.  On the other hand, we were on Escape Vibe in 2017 with a large group who connived their way to the front of the boarding process (they faked an injury - not kidding, they bragged about it in Vibe during the week), and then were generally miserable in Vibe all week because they couldn't smoke or bring in others in their group who didn't purchase Vibe.  Rude and inconsiderate, security and the bartenders had a long week that sailing.  

One thing I love on Encore is the much bigger Sugar Cane Mojito bar, and the live music offered their nightly.  We had a great night each night ending with a couple of mojitos and listening to some great Latin music.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Escape, and sailed Encore last year.  If you are considering the Haven, the Encore has a very large, beautiful observation lounge where they serve snacks, and has a large sundeck.  Escape has no observation lounge in Haven and a much smaller sundeck- in fact Vibe next door looked much larger from what I could see.  Encore also has the deck 15 observation lounge which is huge, has a bar, snacks, and hardly anyone ever there on our sailing.  Port Canaveral is a haul from the airport, we did utilize Go Port Canaveral for hotel and transportation after flying into Sanford, and out of Orlando which went well.