Dining on Silhouette

CruisingNole

I’m on my first celebrity cruise in March. The original plan was to eat every dinner in the MDR as I wanted to give Celebrity a fair comparison to Royal. To my surprise, Celebrity menus have less options and are really just inferior to Royal. Again, I was so surprised by this as I thought Celebrity would offer an elevated product. The lack of options, especially when it comes to beef, pork and veal is surprising and disappointing.

So, now I’m looking at speciality restaurants. I booked Murano first night and only available reservation is 9pm. When I board, I will try to reschedule to an earlier time. If an earlier time is not available and we opt to cancel day-of, will they issue a refund?

It’s a 4 night itinerary so I’m thinking maybe it’s only worth it to eat in the MDR on chic night, which (I believe) is when lobster is served.

Curious if anyone who was recently been on Silhouette has any insight.

Murano and Lawn Club Grill are our favorites. We have sailed both Celebrity and RC and in no way is the food on celebrity, or anything else in my opinion, inferior to RC. We are on this ship 2/23 and can’t wait! 

2 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

It’s a 4 night itinerary so I’m thinking maybe it’s only worth it to eat in the MDR on chic night, which (I believe) is when lobster is served.

Edited by gerelmx

24 minutes ago, cbfb said:

Murano and Lawn Club Grill are our favorites. We have sailed both Celebrity and RC and in no way is the food on celebrity, or anything else in my opinion, inferior to RC. We are on this ship 2/23 and can’t wait! 

Here’s a screenshot. I’ve never seen such a poor offering of entrees on RC so we will have to agree to disagree.

656C1B96-1ACB-46CC-AB33-4B2A46B06DBA.png

57 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Here’s a screenshot. I’ve never seen such a poor offering of entrees on RC so we will have to agree to disagree.

656C1B96-1ACB-46CC-AB33-4B2A46B06DBA.png

And with this being your first Celebrity cruise hopefully you will wait until you complete it to decide. 

• Like 1

I don’t know when you last sailed on Royal.  We have been on both and generally found Celebrity to be a cut above.  We are seeing reports of cut backs on Royal as well as Celebrity, but we will not judge until after our Silhouette cruise in April.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbfb said:

And with this being your first Celebrity cruise hopefully you will wait until you complete it to decide. 

I was simply referring to the MDR menu. Very lackluster based on what I’ve seen. Surprised to see so few options and for tilapia to be one of those…just not my cup of tea. Which is why my original question was regarding speciality dining.

9 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

I was simply referring to the MDR menu. Very lackluster based on what I’ve seen. Surprised to see so few options and for tilapia to be one of those…just not my cup of tea. Which is why my original question was regarding speciality dining.

I totally get where you’re coming from and I assume the posters who’ve responded so far haven’t sailed on Celebrity since Jan 1st when the numerous cutbacks began. I’ve sailed X as recent as Sept and the menus then were vastly more enticing than what I’m seeing from posters who’ve sailed since January 1st. I am on the Silhouette in three weeks and since we’re not in the retreat or even dining in Blu I’ll be getting a good look at the MDR menus. At this point we only have Tuscan grille booked for embarkation day so there’ll be lots of MDR dining. We do occasionally grab dinner in the Buffet and eat outside on the back deck which can be a lovely change however the recent cutbacks to the buffet dinner experience may curtail that as well. I’ll def report back when we return. 

• Thanks 1

We are D+ and E+ so plenty of experience with both lines.

Entertainment RC wins. Food Celebrity wins in all venues from the buffet to the speciality restaurants. 

Strongly suggest you do try the speciality restaurants…Murano’s has a lovely ‘classy’ feel without being stuffy…Tuscan has great wake views and in contrast Lawn Grill has a family BBQ feel.

Don’t write off the MDR menu…Food needs to be experienced to be judged…It is a reflection of the variety of quality and choices in the MDR that many guests in the Suite restaurant often choose from the MDR options. 

2 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

Now that I look again, perhaps I made a mistake. I thought it said that additional lobster was $16.99 but the way in which it’s worded does suggest that the first one incurs a fee as well.

No, you had it correct. You wouldn't be charged for the first tail. The question is, does X offer lobster at all on a sailing less than 7 nights. That was the point being raised upthread.