Danube water levels 2023 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

58 minutes ago, HawaiiTraveler said:

Aloha all. We arrive in Budapest on Saturday 10/21 for the Viking Grand European Tour. A few days ago I received an email from Viking advising that due to low water conditions our ship was being changed from the Viking Bragi to the Viking Skadi. Then today I received an email advising that our cruise will now start in Komárom instead of Budapest, and that we will be bussed to the ship there and then bussed back to Budapest for any excursions we are signed up for. Since Viking changed the ship we will be sailing on, I would imagine that they might be planning a ship swap somewhere upriver in Germany, but are not confirming it just yet. Komárom is not that far from Budapest, so we are ok with the short bus ride to and from there. But I am concerned about the potential for a much longer bus ride if we have to do a ship swap upstream. If any of you are currently in transit to Budapest from Amsterdam or from Amsterdam to Budapest and can share updates on river level conditions as well as whether Viking has been doing any ship swaps on your cruise, I would appreciate it much. Thanks!

Aloha! We are on the same cruise. See you soon. I really hope Viking offers routine shuttles into Budapest and not just for scheduled tours. We were, of course, expecting to dock in town and enjoy the city on our own at our own pace. As that is now impossible Viking should really offer shuttles at defined times to allow passengers to explore Budapest.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kpgclark said:

Aloha! We are on the same cruise. See you soon. I really hope Viking offers routine shuttles into Budapest and not just for scheduled tours. We were, of course, expecting to dock in town and enjoy the city on our own at our own pace. As that is now impossible Viking should really offer shuttles at defined times to allow passengers to explore Budapest.

I would think that Viking will allow passengers to ride the busses to Budapest even if you are not signed up for one of the planned excursions. However, those busses will most likely be leaving at the times that correspond with the planned excursions. Maybe you could talk with the Viking cruise director to see if they can accommodate you to go exploring on your own. We had the same plan, to go exploring Budapest from the ship that would be moored there. It will take us over 24 hours and four flights to get to Budapest from where we live, so we may save our exploring for Sunday instead of Saturday. Maybe taking a walk into Komárom will suffice for Saturday afternoon, instead of getting on the bus and going back to Budapest.🙂

HT, if I may reply. We just did that exact thing you suggest.  We arrived 14:30 and stayed in the Vision Hotel, which is quite good indeed. Arranged for evening cruise but too bushed from the flight.  You will likely be even more flagged. The rendezvous with the first bus was only 8 minute walk dragging our roll-ons. But you have to meet them at exactly the time they say.  Bus cannot wait.  Call Viking and get boat and program director's number and they will set up and text when they leave Komarom.  

I will say the trip has been remarkably rewarding.  Shore tours are excellent, and the organizational coordination is top notch in every aspect.  This river cruising is industrial tourism, with 5 or 6 30-person groups from each ship, some following the same overall path but spaced so we don't trip over each other.  With some 10-15 ships at same location, so multiply the crowd at the popular spots accordingly. Weather has been chilly but pretty sunny. 

The cruising on the ship is an experience of perfect appointments and service.  You will enjoy it. But by all means recover in Budapest.  Even though you miss out on the excellent food and accommodations you would get on that last 1.5 bus ride.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HawaiiTraveler said:

Since Viking changed the ship we will be sailing on, I would imagine that they might be planning a ship swap somewhere upriver in Germany, but are not confirming it just yet.

The fact that they changed the ship has no bearing on whether or not there will be a ship swap in the future; it means that there was likely one in the past. A future ship swap will depend only on river levels; I don't believe that any line would do a ship swap just to get you back on the "correct" ship, especially with all long ships being virtually identical.

• Thanks 1

Heading to the airport for our Budapest to Regensburg cruise with Emerald.  Just received an email that we will be put up in a hotel in Budapest then bused to Vienna on day 2.  We were supposed to be in Vienna on Day 4.  Don’t really know where we will end up.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TriMomma said:

Heading to the airport for our Budapest to Regensburg cruise with Emerald.  Just received an email that we will be put up in a hotel in Budapest then bused to Vienna on day 2.  We were supposed to be in Vienna on Day 4.  Don’t really know where we will end up.  

We will be heading to the airport later this afternoon for the first of four flights that it takes to get to Budapest for our Grand European Tour cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam with Viking. Like you, we received an email yesterday from Viking that our ship cannot get to Budapest due to low water conditions, and we will be bussed to Komárom which is about 1hr/58 miles upstream, where we will board our ship. I’m thankful for this, as I was worried that we would be put in a hotel in Budapest and then bussed upriver a few days later. Hope you have a great cruise irregardless of this hiccup at the beginning of it. Thats Global Warming. What can you do?🙂

• Like 1

The Treasures is still in Straubing, the Scenic Jasper has moved (back) to Regensburg. What I am wondering is: can the smaller ships still get past Pfelling at this stage?

Pfelling gauge at 248cm.

Budapest at 68cm this morning.

image.png.086da32adf0d86ff3aa129d1963c5576.png

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HawaiiTraveler said:

We will be heading to the airport later this afternoon for the first of four flights that it takes to get to Budapest for our Grand European Tour cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam with Viking. Like you, we received an email yesterday from Viking that our ship cannot get to Budapest due to low water conditions, and we will be bussed to Komárom which is about 1hr/58 miles upstream, where we will board our ship. I’m thankful for this, as I was worried that we would be put in a hotel in Budapest and then bussed upriver a few days later. Hope you have a great cruise irregardless of this hiccup at the beginning of it. Thats Global Warming. What can you do?🙂

See you on the ship!

1 hour ago, Izengolf said:

On September 26 when cruising back to Passau from Regensburg I remember seeing The Treasures docked in a strange place on the east side of the river. There was nothing there to see or do. Maybe it hasn't moved?

You have confirmed my suspicions that there may be something more to why the Treasures is there than waiting around for a bit more water under the keel. She was supposed to be on an itinerary but who knows... We may never find out.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, Izengolf said:

On September 26 when cruising back to Passau from Regensburg I remember seeing The Treasures docked in a strange place on the east side of the river. There was nothing there to see or do. Maybe it hasn't moved?

Was it near a Lidl?  Both my Viva and Uniworld cruises docked there.

We’re on the AmaLea from Vilshofen to Budapest beginning 10/29.  Scrolling through posts it seems like every one else is going the opposite direction. 

Any reports on what’s happening with those heading down river? Where are they being bussed to and from? 

Pfelling gauge at 257cm and rising. Could this be the turning point? I am not convinced yet that we will see good levels soon but it is raining again today so I am at least hopeful.

Let us see how it goes today.

7 hours ago, luvsun22 said:

Any reports on what’s happening with those heading down river? Where are they being bussed to and from? 

You could also have a look in the roll calls. Vilshofen is fine as regards water levels, the problem for you and the Amalea is Komarom to Budapest.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

• Like 2

11 hours ago, UDChE89 said:

Was it near a Lidl?  Both my Viva and Uniworld cruises docked there.

No, it was a very strange spot, nothing but scrubby trees and didn't look at all like a dock a river cruise ship would use. I looked on Google maps where cruisemapper has it marked and that looks about right, nothing there but small docks before the lock. 

2 hours ago, Izengolf said:

No, it was a very strange spot, nothing but scrubby trees and didn't look at all like a dock a river cruise ship would use. I looked on Google maps where cruisemapper has it marked and that looks about right, nothing there but small docks before the lock. 

Really odd. It is not in Straubing-Sand harbour either, really just at bushes and trees at the lock waiting area.

notamermaid

We must have lucked out.

Arrived in Budapest on the 8th of October.  Sailed out from Budapest on Avalon's ship the VIEW heading for Bucharest.   We made it all the way to Turnu Măgurele where we were bused to Bucharest, 

Captain of the ship said that he touched bottom one night but pushed on.  We actually left behind a few river boats along the way.  I feel for you.

We were put up in the Radisson for 1 night and then moved to destination hotel The InterContental.  Ended up with 3 days instead of 2 which I liked.  Was getting tired of seeing castles.  

Our travel agent was actually on the the tour with us. So for the extra day she booked us a trip to Bran Castle.  

Left Bucharest on the 17th.

My accolades to our tour director and travel agent for making all these adjustments for 150 people on one days notice. 

Edited by Johnny_Cannuck
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Johnny_Cannuck said:

We must have lucked out.

Arrived in Budapest on the 8th of October.  Sailed out from Budapest on Avalon's ship the VIEW heading for Bucharest.   We made it all the way to Turnu Măgurele where we were bused to Bucharest, 

Captain of the ship said that he touched bottom one night but pushed on.  We actually left behind a few river boats along the way.  I feel for you.

We were put up in the Radisson for 1 night and then moved to destination hotel The InterContental.  Ended up with 3 days instead of 2 which I liked.  Was getting tired of seeing castles.  

Our travel agent was actually on the the tour with us. So for the extra day she booked us a trip to Bran Castle.  

Left Bucharest on the 17th.

My accolades to our tour director and travel agent for making all these adjustments for 150 people on one days notice. 

This is great news for us! We are doing this route on Capella at the end of the month. We are sailing back to Budapest too so only a short time in Bucharest.

Thanks for posting.

On 10/19/2023 at 8:29 AM, HawaiiTraveler said:

I would think that Viking will allow passengers to ride the busses to Budapest even if you are not signed up for one of the planned excursions. However, those busses will most likely be leaving at the times that correspond with the planned excursions. Maybe you could talk with the Viking cruise director to see if they can accommodate you to go exploring on your own. We had the same plan, to go exploring Budapest from the ship that would be moored there. It will take us over 24 hours and four flights to get to Budapest from where we live, so we may save our exploring for Sunday instead of Saturday. Maybe taking a walk into Komárom will suffice for Saturday afternoon, instead of getting on the bus and going back to Budapest.🙂

Greetings: 

We will be cruising on the Viking EMBLA from 10/23, we are watching the water levels as she approaches Hungary. For now we are prepared to have to go to Komarom, we just need to see how to link with Viking to be brought to the ship. How did it work for others?  We will be getting in on 10/22 then staying the night near the usual docking spot. Thanks 

Pfelling gauge down to 255cm, after that initial promising rise to 263cm yesterday. The weather was quite violent in the North of Germany but for the South it was better and it looks to be a windy but otherwise calm day with little rain. Mild storm warning only in the West, with heavier storms in the Harz mountains in the Middle of Germany.

The forecast for the gauge at Pfelling suggests little change for the better in the next 24 hours.

For those on the Main and the Rhine sailing the Grand European, etc. itineraries: the Rhine has risen well, 90cm at Kaub has really taken the Rhine Gorge to easier sailing conditions.

Again we see the usual pattern of the Danube struggling earlier, more and longer than the Rhine.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information. We’re taking our first river cruise, so monitoring water levels is new (and kinda fun) part of the cruise lead-up process. 🙂

We’re on the Viking Lif from Bucharest to Budapest starting on 1 Nov. I see that she’s now heading for Amsterdam (current position east of Frankfurt), so I hope low water levels in Budapest don’t impact her ability to get back to Bucharest for the 1st. 

I’m also keeping an eye on the Viking Ullur, who’s doing the Bucharest to Budapest journey. She’s currently in Belgrade. 

Any recent intel on the water levels between Budapest and Bucharest?

Pfelling gauge at 249cm. Not sure what they do at those dams and locks, perhaps it is the redistribution to the Main basin? Anyway, frustrating it is. After the rise to 263cm at midnight, yesterday the level steadily fell to the low of 243cm early this morning. Back on the rise. Let us a have an early look at the graph for Pfelling this year so far:

image.png.edd96889108931a0046e01b5e66993e3.png

Confirmed ship swapping days on the Danube so far 24plus (I did not count them all), on the Rhine none.

notamermaid