Just Booked Sun Princess TA 2024…..Love It Or Hate It?

Lady Arwen

1 hour ago, DHP1 said:

So much for your question.  Everybody off topic now. Lol. FYI price drop yesterday. 

Yes, I’m really considering Hurtigruten cruiseline now! lol  Par for the course and I really don’t mind.  Checked and my price hasn’t changed since Thursday when I originally booked.  Good on you, tho!

7 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I hear you and I agree.  We’ve been sailing with Princess since the ‘90s, so this will be our first huge ship on any line.  Some things look great, others things I guess we’ll see in 2024.  My DH is very enthused about trying it, so I’ll go along with an open mind.  Your sailing is before mine, so I’m relying on your totally honest review when you get back!  Please!

When we get back you will be leaving. Too late to change your mind. Lol

I will be reading all the review starting in February of next year and try get familiar with the ship layout. 

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Yes, I’m really considering Hurtigruten cruiseline now! lol  Par for the course and I really don’t mind.  Checked and my price hasn’t changed since Thursday when I originally booked.  Good on you, tho!

I guess they lower the Deluxe Balcony Cabins. We could save $370.  

• Like 2

Just now, DHP1 said:

When we get back you will be leaving. Too late to change your mind. Lol

Darn!  Well, I guess both of us will have to rely on someone else’s review.  Sailings start in about one year or so, but I’m sure we’ll see photos or videos as time goes on.  I’ll look for your posts in the future!

5 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Okay.  Sorry, I didn’t make it clear enough for you, my bad.  Funny, how everyone else got the idea.  I will try to ponder less in the future.  Have a wonderful weekend.

I am sorry about that, pondering is not actively asking a question. And not many have been an English teacher or a private investigator. And I will have a wonderful weekend.

Edited by nini
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, nini said:

I am sorry about that, pondering is not actively asking a question. And not many have been an English teacher or a private investigator. And I will have a wonderful weekend.

You’ve really made my day……I haven’t laughed this much in ages!  I don’t know if you’re serious or just kidding, but whatever,  thank you for adding some levity to this thread.  Bless you.

• Like 2

We are looking at at cruise from Rome, early before the busy Summer season gets going.  If it is correct, cruisemapper shows the Sun to be the only ship at Santorini when we would be there.

I just wanted to mention that, unless I am mistaken, the price on the sailing went down a little today!

I am am not one who just has to have a true aft wakeview balcony.

I am not one who has to have the full buffet steps away from the pool.

I would be excited to see the dome and the open public area that actually faces forward.

And the aft deck as well.

More money usually does get more.   I don't know if I call the exclusive areas a class system.   (don't need to be the jealous or entitled type)

Like Lady said, travel is an adventure.

It is not a postcard picture.

It is an experience, and new experiences can be great!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

We are looking at at cruise from Rome, early before the busy Summer season gets going.  If it is correct, cruisemapper shows the Sun to be the only ship at Santorini when we would be there.

I just wanted to mention that, unless I am mistaken, the price on the sailing went down a little today!

I would be excited to see the dome and the open public area that actually faces forward.

More money usually does get more.   I don't know if I call the exclusive areas a class system.   (don't need to be the jealous or entitled type)

You have such a wonderful attitude!  Thanks for the little uplift today…..I am starting to warm up to this cruise thanks to people like you.  You will have a fabulous cruise, should you decide to go!

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

You’ve really made my day……I haven’t laughed this much in ages!  I don’t know if you’re serious or just kidding, but whatever,  thank you for adding some levity to this thread.  Bless you.

Edited by DHP1

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

It is not a matter of money getting more.  Ships are limited in a number of ways.  Number of crew, amount of deck space, etc.

When some cruise ship lines have implemented a class system, they reduce the public areas and space available to others.  Cruise lines have done it in different ways.  When Celebrity went that route they took away one of the public lounges (Michaels club and made it the Suites lounge).  The partitioned off part of the MDR, and give more room per passenger in that space, making the remaining dining room space noticeable more crowded and noisier.  It would be the equivalent of Princess on its existing ships taking Wheel House and making it Suites only.  Or taking one of the three dining rooms and making one of them for suites only (or splitting it in two and making one suites and the other for the club class.  While at the same time squeezing the passengers not into those classes into the remaining two at a higher table density.

It is not a matter of others getting more it is a matter of a negative impact on what I get for my dollar on Princess.  Could I pay the higher amounts certainly.  But if I was spending more I would rather spend that money of places where princess does not or cannot go on Oceania for example, or the Elixir Elysium (a 50 passenger ship that used to be a Celebrity vessel in the Galapagos) that visits a number of smaller islands that large cruise ships cannot reach. I sail on Princess because of its current value (quality of experience vs cost).  Reduce that ratio and it is no longer attractive.

Some cruise lines have implemented a class system and had minimal impact upon the experience of others not in that class.  For example NCL added Haven with minimal impact upon the other facilities.  Cunard does their system with also minimal impact.  Celebrity took away a public lounge and made MDR dining much more crowded and noisier. In their pre-epic class ships.

The Princess sun seems to be even more intrusive then the others.  Will see how it works in reality, but with the changes from normal ship design it might work out, but also might be problematic.  It also seems to be a precursor to how they might retrofit existing ships into the new class system. As Celebrity did with its older ships.  They have already started to rename Club class to match the Sun.  Anyone what to bet what public space gets converted during future dry docks.

17 minutes ago, ldtr said:

It is not a matter of money getting more.  Ships are limited in a number of ways.  Number of crew, amount of deck space, etc.

When some cruise ship lines have implemented a class system, they reduce the public areas and space available to others.  Cruise lines have done it in different ways.  When Celebrity went that route they took away one of the public lounges (Michaels club and made it the Suites lounge).  The partitioned off part of the MDR, and give more room per passenger in that space, making the remaining dining room space noticeable more crowded and noisier.  It would be the equivalent of Princess on its existing ships taking Wheel House and making it Suites only.  Or taking one of the three dining rooms and making one of them for suites only (or splitting it in two and making one suites and the other for the club class.  While at the same time squeezing the passengers not into those classes into the remaining two at a higher table density.

It is not a matter of others getting more it is a matter of a negative impact on what I get for my dollar on Princess.  Could I pay the higher amounts certainly.  But if I was spending more I would rather spend that money of places where princess does not or cannot go on Oceania for example, or the Elixir Elysium (a 50 passenger ship that used to be a Celebrity vessel in the Galapagos) that visits a number of smaller islands that large cruise ships cannot reach. I sail on Princess because of its current value (quality of experience vs cost).  Reduce that ratio and it is no longer attractive.

Some cruise lines have implemented a class system and had minimal impact upon the experience of others not in that class.  For example NCL added Haven with minimal impact upon the other facilities.  Cunard does their system with also minimal impact.  Celebrity took away a public lounge and made MDR dining much more crowded and noisier. In their pre-epic class ships.

The Princess sun seems to be even more intrusive then the others.  Will see how it works in reality, but with the changes from normal ship design it might work out, but also might be problematic.  It also seems to be a precursor to how they might retrofit existing ships into the new class system. As Celebrity did with its older ships.  They have already started to rename Club class to match the Sun.  Anyone what to bet what public space gets converted during future dry docks.

Well said. Thankyou

On our last cruise, we were having a 'farewell" captain's party for the Suite only guests in the Take Five room with live music and foods.  There were big "Private party, Invitation Only" signs outside of both entrances of the Take Five.  And yet, there were still people walked through it disregarding the requests for privacy.  Some exclusiveness is necessary.

10 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

On our last cruise, we were having a 'farewell" captain's party for the Suite only guests in the Take Five room with live music and foods.  There were big "Private party, Invitation Only" signs outside of both entrances of the Take Five.  And yet, there were still people walked through it disregarding the requests for privacy.  Some exclusiveness is necessary.

Anytime we attended these private parties, we usually have to show our invitation card or medallion (cabin class) to the crew staff (security) prior to entry. No card or medallion, no entry. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Anytime we attended these private parties, we usually have to show our invitation card or medallion (cabin class) to the crew staff (security) prior to entry. No card or medallion, no entry. 

They collected the cards.  Once the party started, doors were closed, no one checked anyone walked into the room.

1 hour ago, CeCe_ said:

Price increased for two days on my voyage 

Our next cruise on Regal Princess for September 2023 went down $1663.00 for our mini suite!  Called our CVP and we had to do a rebook instead of refare, but that’s fine.  In December it went down $350.00.  We’re happy!  Sun Princess TA no luck yet.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Our next cruise on Regal Princess for September 2023 went down $1663.00 for our mini suite!  Called our CVP and we had to do a rebook instead of refare, but that’s fine.  In December it went down $350.00.  We’re happy!  Sun Princess TA no luck yet.

Good catch!  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Since they did a rebook, what happens to your previous deposit. Are they going to refund it back to you?

12 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Since they did a rebook, what happens to your previous deposit. Are they going to refund it back to you?

Yes, they will refund my credit card for the full amount of our deposit.  Also, our excursions were cancelled and we had to rebook them and pay for them again.  Good news is most of the cost of excursions are paid with our OBC.  This sale price is for new bookings only, so that’s why we couldn’t just refare.  Sometimes that happens.  Pleased with such a big amount!

Edited by Lady Arwen

Our cruise in 2024 is $4,000 more compare to the same cruise (same month) this year just a different ship. I shouldn’t check that. 😂 

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Yes, they will refund my credit card for the full amount of our deposit.  Also, our excursions were cancelled and we had to rebook them and pay for them again.  Good news is most of the cost of excursions are paid with our OBC.  This sale price is for new bookings only, so that’s why we couldn’t just refare.  Sometimes that happens.  Pleased with such a big amount!

Check and make sure you get all your OBC back. 

• Like 1