Phone Call to Celebrity having problem downgrading Classic Drink to Premium Non Alcoholic Package

NJRonbo

My girlfriend and I don't drink alcohol.

Called Celebrity to try and get them to downgrade our classic drink package that was included with Aqua Class to a premium non-alcoholic drink package that includes the premium bottled waters and smoothies.

Problem is, while I am aware the drink packages have been rebranded as of the end of last year, this is causing the Celebrity rep and I some communication confusion.

I was told the Premium Non-Alcoholic package no longer exists.  There is now something called Zero Proof which does include the premium NA drinks.

I was surprised that he couldn't downgrade me to Zero Proof but instead suggested I upgrade my drink package.

I don't want to straighten this out by waiting on a customer service line while on my cruise.  Should I keep calling until I get a representative that understands what I want to do?  This must be do-able.  

Edited by NJRonbo

I was on two B2B cruises in December on the Infinity, and I was able to get my AI Classic Alcohol drink package 'downgraded' on the first cruise (departure Dec 12) to the Premium Non-Alcoholic package by visiting Guest Services the first day of the cruise.  It was not a simple or quick transaction - I printed out the cost of both packages in advance, and I took that paperwork with me when I went to the desk.  They originally told me that everything in the Premium Non-alcoholic package was included in the Classic Alcohol Package , and I had to explain that was not true (I gave examples). They eventually did reprint my SeaPass Card with the new beverage package (it took quite a while) and told me I had to return on the first day of my next cruise to do it again.  On the second cruise (departure December 21), when I went back to Guest Services, they told me the package name had been changed to 'Zero Proof', and they gave me that 'downgrade'.  It was much faster, but I don't know if that was because of the drink package changes or the fact that I had already had the conversation (with a different person) 9 days earlier.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

My girlfriend and I don't drink alcohol.

Called Celebrity to try and get them to downgrade our classic drink package that was included with Aqua Class to a premium non-alcoholic drink package that includes the premium bottled waters and smoothies.

Problem is, while I am aware the drink packages have been rebranded as of the end of last year, this is causing the Celebrity rep and I some communication confusion.

I was told the Premium Non-Alcoholic package no longer exists.  There is now something called Zero Proof which does include the premium NA drinks.

I was surprised that he couldn't downgrade me to Zero Proof but instead suggested I upgrade my drink package.

I don't want to straighten this out by waiting on a customer service line while on my cruise.  Should I keep calling until I get a representative that understands what I want to do?  This must be do-able.  

Yeah..As of Jan 1 2023, The whole game changed with Celebrity.....

4 hours ago, I_Like_Cruising said:

are you trying to do this to get a refund? 

I don't know if that question was directed to my original post.

No, I don't want a refund between the two packages.  Just downgrade it.  You would think it would be an easy thing to do.   

I'll keep calling and talk to different representatives until I get one that understands what needs to be done.

Last thing I want to do is waste my onboard time at Guest Services.

15 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

No, I don't want a refund between the two packages.  Just downgrade it.  You would think it would be an easy thing to do.   

I'll keep calling and talk to different representatives until I get one that understands what needs to be done.

what benefit is there in downgrading, the Zero package is included, isn't it?

15 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

Did you try going through the Captains Club ? Might be worth a try.

1 hour ago, I_Like_Cruising said:

what benefit is there in downgrading, the Zero package is included, isn't it?

There's no real answer to this question still. They added the zero proof drinks to the description of the classic package in the cruise planner when they bumped up the prices, but it's not 100% confirmed that they are offering these drinks onboard.

2 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

There's no real answer to this question still. They added the zero proof drinks to the description of the classic package in the cruise planner when they bumped up the prices, but it's not 100% confirmed that they are offering these drinks onboard.

Right

The Zero Proof package, which I want, has the premium waters and smoothies.

However, it's not clear if that package is part of the classic drink package or if one needs to downgrade from it.

Well, actually, it is kind of clear

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages/compare-packages

The Zero Proof seems to be a separate package or part of the Premium alcoholic package.

We also don't drink alcohol and have had this issue before with the drink packages that come with the various promotions. Sometimes they'll do it, sometimes they won't. But I've only ever been successful by asking guest relations on the first day. Bringing information to support your case is probably a good idea, as was mentioned previously. 

I had not heard of this new "Zero Proof" package, though. Considering how quickly younger people are giving up alcohol I've been waiting to see how Celebrity would react. There are only so many times you can turn down free champagne before you start wondering if you're getting your money's worth.

3 minutes ago, dlexp said:

We also don't drink alcohol and have had this issue before with the drink packages that come with the various promotions. Sometimes they'll do it, sometimes they won't. But I've only ever been successful by asking guest relations on the first day. Bringing information to support your case is probably a good idea, as was mentioned previously. 

I had not heard of this new "Zero Proof" package, though. Considering how quickly younger people are giving up alcohol I've been waiting to see how Celebrity would react. There are only so many times you can turn down free champagne before you start wondering if you're getting your money's worth.

Thanks for the advice.

Going to make a few phone calls to Celebrity today in hopes that one of the reps I talk to will be able to do it.  I mean, they are making money on the deal by switching us to a lower-cost drink package without a refund.

I will come back and let all of you know if my efforts were successful pre-cruise just in case anyone else needs to do the same.

1 hour ago, NJRonbo said:

I mean, they are making money on the deal by switching us to a lower-cost drink package without a refund.

They are certainly not making money on the deal by allowing you to switch.  You're trying to obtain premium bottled water and smoothies by doing the switch.  If they don't let you switch, you're out of luck and will have to pay for those beverages out of pocket, pay for the zero-proof package, or upgrade to premium.

Just now, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

They are certainly not making money on the deal by allowing you to switch.  You're trying to obtain premium bottled water and smoothies by doing the switch.  If they don't let you switch, you're out of luck and will have to pay for those beverages out of pocket, pay for the zero-proof package, or upgrade to premium.

Well, that's an interesting perspective on the situation -- and perhaps true for some -- but in our case if we can't switch we will just drink the beverages included in the classic drink package.

1 minute ago, NJRonbo said:

Well, that's an interesting perspective on the situation -- and perhaps true for some -- but in our case if we can't switch we will just drink the beverages included in the classic drink package.

I hope for your situation they do let you switch, but if you present this to them that you're looking to "downgrade" to the zero-proof package for the purposes of obtaining premium waters and smoothies, they might not let you because that'll come at a higher cost to them.

10 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I hope for your situation they do let you switch, but if you present this to them that you're looking to "downgrade" to the zero-proof package for the purposes of obtaining premium waters and smoothies, they might not let you because that'll come at a higher cost to them.

I gotcha and understand the concern.

I just got off the phone with Celebrity.  I wasn't specific about why I wanted the downgrade other to say that my girlfriend and I do not drink alcohol.

After about a 10 minute hold time after making the request, the representative returned and told me she was able to successfully put us in the ZERO PROOF package. She then sent receipts to my email indicating the change with no additional charges added.

Edited by NJRonbo
  • Like 3

I do think from the X's perspective that they want people to upgrade to Premium alcohol package rather than downgrading anything.  The offer includes the Classic alcohol package.  If you want more than what's included, they want you to pay for the privilege. 

I would also imagine that their booking system makes this difficult to do in advance because it's going to try to make changes in what is being charged on the reservation.  My guess is that the front-line reps are not going to have the access or knowledge to do it.  A supervisor might have the knowledge to do it but probably doesn't want to be stuck processing those types of requests all the time, considering the current state of their operations (having to field basic questions from untrained reps all day). 

If you have a legitimate medical reason for doing this (e.g., recovering alcoholic or pregnant), they will make exceptions, but you're not claiming that.  If that is the issue, then you should tell them that when you call and be prepared to talk to someone at a resolutions desk.

I think all you’re trying to do is swap classic alcohol for premium water/smoothies/juices. It should be doable but X has some strange rules. I wonder whether they’d just cancel and refund your classic package? Then you could buy drinks you enjoy ala carte.

I wouldn’t present it as “downgrading.” Keep it simple. Good luck.

Looks like we were posting at the same time.  Glad the rep was able to process it for you (the hold indicates they were talking to the supervisor).  I would make sure you get a copy of the guest invoice and keep watching your account to make sure it was processed correctly.

1 hour ago, natshala said:

Just curious…what does Zero proof give you?

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

Important details and advisements

• Includes all non-alcoholic beverages onboard.
  • Package prices may reflect an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries.
  • Packages may not be shared, and do not include beverages sold in gift shops, mini-bar, or room service.
  • Packages must be purchased for the entire cruise.
  • If the package is purchased onboard, after the first day, the guest will be charged for the number of nights remaining in the voyage.
  • Packages can be sold until the last two days of the cruise, or at the discretion of the Beverage Operations Manager.
  • Packages can be upgraded at any time up to the last two days of the cruise, or at the Beverage Operations Manager’s Discretion.
  • No refunds are to be issued after the day of Embarkation for prepaid packages or after 24 hours for packages purchased onboard.
  • In extreme circumstances, such as a sudden illness, Beverage Packages can be refunded but only at the discretion of the Beverage Operation Manager.
  • When a package is canceled, the guest will be charged for the number of nights the package was held.
  • Availability of beverage packages varies by ship.
  • Offers are non-transferable and not combinable with Captain Club discounts or any other offer or promotion.