New wrinkle with app/old phone

rebeccac

So, we sailed VV in July 2022 and I had the app, used it, had only minor problems.  Now, we just booked a November 2023 cruise and I tried to go to the app to check things out, and was informed that I needed to update the app.  Tried to do that, but apparently my phone will no longer support the app (Samsung S8).  I find it very vexing that just because I have an older phone, I will no longer be able to use the app.  Luckily, it still works on DH's phone (for now), so we won't be totally lost.  

39 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

It's very common for apps to not support older versions of the Android OS, especially once Google stops supporting them. 

yeah i think google did a big drop of old apps for old devices last week or the week before.  sucks, but that's technology these days.  just had to get a new ipad because my 10-year old one (still kicking!!!) wasn't able to update to the latest OS and couldn't support the apps i use anymore.

My phone is as up to date as it can be.  I am stubborn and won't replace my phone just because some apps are not supported.  I have many other reasons not to get a new phone, so I guess I will just have to learn to live with some of my apps becoming "dead".  

And this is not just an Android thing, I have a friend with a very old IPhone that has done the same thing.  

Edited by rebeccac

6 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

yeah i think google did a big drop of old apps for old devices last week or the week before.  sucks, but that's technology these days.  just had to get a new ipad because my 10-year old one (still kicking!!!) wasn't able to update to the latest OS and couldn't support the apps i use anymore.

Yeah, I just ordered a new ipad for that reason. Unfortunately, I test things for work so I need one that has current OS.

6 hours ago, rebeccac said:

My phone is as up to date as it can be.  I am stubborn and won't replace my phone just because some apps are not supported.  I have many other reasons not to get a new phone, so I guess I will just have to learn to live with some of my apps becoming "dead".  

And this is not just an Android thing, I have a friend with a very old IPhone that has done the same thing.  

As an IT Security guy, all I can say is that using outdated phones that are running software no longer supported by the vendor can put you more at risk for security issues. Just be careful.

• Like 4

I am not getting a new phone for a whole host of reasons.  Not sure what I can do to "be careful".  Generally I don't do much with my phone except read emails and get directions.  So far, all the other cruise line apps work on my phone.  VV is the only one that doesn't.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2023 at 1:14 PM, rebeccac said:

Yeah, Apple does it way earlier than Android. They make phones obsolete often. 

59 minutes ago, Fitzget said:

Yeah, Apple does it way earlier than Android. They make phones obsolete often. 

I’ve seen way more reports of the opposite, that getting newer versions of android onto older devices is hard.

For iOS the Virgin Voyages app needs iOS 15, which is supported on the iPhone 6S from 2015, released seven and a half years ago.