Escape Balcony

Wizzardem

4 hours ago, Wizzardem said:

You think it would promote fire safety as it’s an escape to the next room lol

23 minutes ago, ClarkBHM said:

Agree that that seems odd. We had adjoining balconies on the Wonder of the Seas and it was already opened for us when we boarded. Seems odd that Norwegian wouldn't/couldn't do the same thing.

Different fire retardant materials, different suppression systems, different policies, different levels of risk.....

The dividers are there to slow/prevent the spread of fire from one balcony to the next. The dividers have the ability to open to allow firefighters to move from one balcony to the next without having to chop their way through (like the firefighters had to with the Star Princess fire).

NCL used to allow certain dividers to be opened under certain conditions. Some people were denied while others were allowed. This caused complaints. NCL decided to no longer allow dividers to be opened for guest enjoyment across the fleet.

Do some stewards still open them with the expectation of a tip? Yes.

Do some guests take it upon themselves to open them on their own? Yes.

Is it likely that a crew member will close the divider even after the steward opened it? Yes.

Should NCL guests expect to double-up on adjoining balconies? No.

• 3 months later...

I’m glad this post caught my eye, because I was getting ready to pose the the same question. We will be traveling with our g’kids who will be in the room nextdoor, but not a connecting room. So in considering the balcony dividers on the Escape, it is possible to open the divider so our decks will be one large deck? Would it be best to take this up with our cabin steward or the front desk?

2 minutes ago, Ssheppardva said:

I’m glad this post caught my eye, because I was getting ready to pose the the same question. We will be traveling with our g’kids who will be in the room nextdoor, but not a connecting room. So in considering the balcony dividers on the Escape, it is possible to open the divider so our decks will be one large deck? Would it be best to take this up with our cabin steward or the front desk?

You will be told "NO" on NCL, as it is their policy to keep them locked!

• Like 1

We were just on the Escape and our neighbors definitely did this.  I think they had a block of 3 adjacent rooms and were moving among their balconies.  I don't know if they did it themselves or had the crew do it for them.  Based on the above comments, I assume the former.  I didn't realize it was prohibited until seeing this thread.  One would definitely need a wrench and possibly other tools to do it, and I don't know what the rules are regarding bringing those kinds of tools aboard.  As far as I could tell, it was like that the entire week so I don't know if they were reprimanded or not.  I am not advocating this action, just reporting an observation.

Edited by zzdoug

2 minutes ago, Youniddy said:

I booked directly with NCL, and my agent is the one who suggested that we get balconies right next to each other, because the stewards would open them for us for a larger balcony. 

It might happen... But, it is against NCL's policy!

If you can talk your room steward into doing that, tip well, because you might be getting them reprimanded, or worse.

3 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

It might happen... But, it is against NCL's policy!

If you can talk your room steward into doing that, tip well, because you might be getting them reprimanded, or worse.

Oh goodness, thanks for the advice!!! 

• Like 1