Tipping on Princess Shore Excursions

KLM3164

44 minutes ago, eggypann said:

Guess I haven't had that happen. I tip almost everyone, including fast food workers. Most are VERY appreciative. Life is tough for a lot of these people.

Seriously- you tip someone who hands you a burger ?

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2023 at 5:36 PM, Kabuki12 said:

As I wrote, verbally asked for tips. 2 Mazatlan port drivers asked for tips.   I have taken 8 Mexico cruises since November.  7 with Princess and one with Royal Carribean.   Snorkeling excursions did ask for tips by passing a hat around and some held a hat when we exited. the boat.  I remember a young honeymooning couple embarrassed because they were on a budget. 

In Roatan last month a gift shop cashier felt the need to verbally point out the tip jar next to the cash register.  Needless to say I didn't tip for her service of ringing up 4 magnets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Depends on the itinerary.  On a Caribbean cruise with ports in multiple countries, each with their own currency, I'm not going to exchange money in each port for the sole purpose of tipping for the 8 hours I'm in port.  All the businesses I transact with are used to tourists with and gladly accept (and often prefer) USD, as do their tipped employees.  

I agree if you are in the Caribbean - but if you are in Ireland or Iceland,  say, giving USD is just wrong.

Imagine giving a New York taxi driver a €10 tip. I doubt he would  be impressed. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I agree if you are in the Caribbean - but if you are in Ireland or Iceland,  say, giving USD is just wrong.

Imagine giving a New York taxi driver a €10 tip. I doubt he would  be impressed. 

In Europe, I generally agree, but there are still some exceptions.  On my Mediterranean B2B last year, Instanbul was the only port where Euro wasn't the currency.  I exchanged a couple hundred USD for Euros on the ship but had no plans to get lira for a single port.  

In Istanbul the merchants gladly took Euros due to the Turkish economy and lira being so weak, plus probably cruisers like me who weren't going to get lira for a 6 hour excursion purchased through Princess.  I don't recall what currency I tipped the tour guide in (if anything at all because he wasn't good), but I expect he got mostly Euros and some USD due to other cruisers like (not going to get lira just for that excursion) and USD being the onboard currency.

1 minute ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

In Europe, I generally agree, but there are still some exceptions.  On my Mediterranean B2B last year, Instanbul was the only port where Euro wasn't the currency.  I exchanged a couple hundred USD for Euros on the ship but had no plans to get lira for a single port.  

In Istanbul the merchants gladly took Euros due to the Turkish economy and lira being so weak, plus probably cruisers like me who weren't going to get lira for a 6 hour excursion purchased through Princess.  I don't recall what currency I tipped the tour guide in (if anything at all because he wasn't good), but I expect he got mostly Euros and some USD due to other cruisers like (not going to get lira just for that excursion) and USD being the onboard currency.

I agree,  Turkey is bit difficult.  We had a private tour, and had to pay in lira,  so had no option but to pay in local currency. And it was useful to buy a beer as well ! 

On 2/13/2023 at 3:36 PM, Kabuki12 said:

I did not tip in the Platinum/Elite lounge and ended up being ignored the 3rd day as did another that did not tip.  We noticed that others around us were tipping.  They seemed to get the service.  I actually went to the bar to get a drink.    That was my first experience of having that happen in that particular lounge.   

Gotta pay to play in the Elite lounge.  

On 2/13/2023 at 6:36 PM, Kabuki12 said:

I did not tip in the Platinum/Elite lounge and ended up being ignored the 3rd day as did another that did not tip.  We noticed that others around us were tipping.  They seemed to get the service.  I actually went to the bar to get a drink.    That was my first experience of having that happen in that particular lounge.   

So did you tip the bartender?

On 2/17/2023 at 12:16 AM, damiross said:

The quickest way to ensure I do not tip is to have a tip jar right next to the register or a "suggested tip" on the credit card screen.

I agree with this, since when do I need to add a tip when I have to walk up to a counter and place my order on a kiosk and have to return to the same counter to pick up my own food, and then when I am finished eating I have to clear my own table and dispose of my trash.  The staff has done nothing but prepare the food and that's it.  We are more likely to offer tips when it is not expected or thrown into the mix every time we turn around.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 4:12 PM, wowzz said:

Seriously- you tip someone who hands you a burger ?

Seriously, I do! Most are young kids who don't make much. It makes me happy and I they appreciate it. I believe in trying to spread kindness when I can. Not sure why that's so funny!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eggypann said:

Seriously, I do! Most are young kids who don't make much. It makes me happy and I they appreciate it. I believe in trying to spread kindness when I can. Not sure why that's so funny!

Sorry, but you tip for extra service, not just for doing your basic job.

I just think there is a cultural divide here. No one in the UK/Europe would tip the server in Macdonald's. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I just think there is a cultural divide here. No one in the UK/Europe would tip the server in Macdonald's. 

McDonald's you don't tip at. 

Takeaway service, someone is packaging your meal and also balancing working the front of house. 

Also, many counter service food establishments, they deliver your food, ask if you want refills and bus your table.  Of course we're tipping.  

Just now, startedwithamouse said:

McDonald's you don't tip at. 

Takeaway service, someone is packaging your meal and also balancing working the front of house. 

Also, many counter service food establishments, they deliver your food, ask if you want refills and bus your table.  Of course we're tipping.  

So, we agree. No need to tip when someone hands you a burger, as in a McDonald's.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

So, we agree. No need to tip when someone hands you a burger, as in a McDonald's.  

There's no ability to tip at McDonald's.   If you are doing Postmates, DoorDash, etc., absolutely yes, you tip when it's delivered. Even when someone hands you a burger from McDonald's.

Edited by startedwithamouse

On 3/12/2023 at 4:17 PM, wowzz said:

I doubt he would turn it down either.  I have never had a tour guide turn down a tip because the currency was not local.  Especially when they were providing guide service  for a cruise line where the majority of passengers are from the US.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Cultural divide or whatever..I am lucky enough to have the wherewithal for a good life and be able to travel and eat out. Most of these folks can barely make it on multiple jobs. No, I don't make a big difference doing this, but I know by their reactions that it's appreciated.

• Like 2