Tipping on Princess Shore Excursions

KLM3164

Tipping  has pretty much always been a normal part of Princess excursions.  As such we do tip on Princess excursions as long as the services provided by the people providing the excursion warrant it.

Out side of Princess excursions we tip in accordance with the local practice and customs.

I do agree though that tipping in the US has gone crazy recently.  Now it seems like every customer facing employee is expecting to be tipped.  It was one thing during Covid when restaurants and other tourist businesses were hurting and trying to survive.  But now it is going to extremes. 

On 2/7/2023 at 12:44 PM, ldtr said:

Tipping  has pretty much always been a normal part of Princess excursions.  As such we do tip on Princess excursions as long as the services provided by the people providing the excursion warrant it.

Out side of Princess excursions we tip in accordance with the local practice and customs.

I do agree though that tipping in the US has gone crazy recently.  Now it seems like every customer facing employee is expecting to be tipped.  It was one thing during Covid when restaurants and other tourist businesses were hurting and trying to survive.  But now it is going to extremes. 

I am curious as to what "Princess excursions" has to do with anything related to tips.  Like other cruise lines, Princess simply contracts with local tour providers who generally handle the tours for multiple cruise lines and even local tourists.  When Princess ships come here to Puerto Vallarta, most, if not all the tours are provided by Vallarta Adventures.   They also sell similar tours to anyone not on cruise ships, sometimes at a much lower cost.   Nothing wrong with tipping the tour guides, but buying on Princess means nothing other than Princess gets a nice cut.

Hank

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I am curious as to what "Princess excursions" has to do with anything related to tips.  Like other cruise lines, Princess simply contracts with local tour providers who generally handle the tours for multiple cruise lines and even local tourists.  When Princess ships come here to Puerto Vallarta, most, if not all the tours are provided by Vallarta Adventures.  

1. As people have shown there are places where the cruise line suggests it.

2. Princess is largely a US focused cruise line, with a majority of it customers being from North America and its tipping culture.

3. As indicated by both of the above while those companies may be local, their employees that work the cruise ship excursions are pretty used to the passengers tipping.

4. This is not unlike river cruises and many land tour companies that focus on North American customers that also suggest tipping their tour guides and bus drivers and often have suggested guidelines, even when those tours are done in non tipping countries. 

A good friend of mine who is a tour guide in Spain for multi day tours told me that his direct compensation is different based upon where the tour company is from. US based companies pay less but have guidelines for tips which makes up for it. UK and Australian based companies pay more but no tips.

Edited by ldtr

On 2/6/2023 at 2:21 PM, eggypann said:

Just because someone mentions that tips are accepted should not mean they get less of a tip. Some people don't even think about the fact that they should tip. If someone tells me how much, yes then I would ignore them. But just mentioning the fact that tips are accepted is just a reminder. I don't think of it in a negative way at all.

And if they mention it a number of times, not just once?

On 2/6/2023 at 7:17 PM, Chad_O said:

I usually tip at 10% of the excursion cost. It's easy and consistent and manageable for me and the guides are very grateful. 

I am not sure excursion cost should be a factor.

The cost of an excursion includes admission fees. Why should a guide on a four hour tour with admission fees be tipped more than a guide on a four hour tour that costs less because there are no admission fees?

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 11:48 PM, KLM3164 said:

Your comment has sparked another question for me. If I go to a country such as Australia or Japan where tipping isn’t done and may be considered rude, what do people from these same countries do when they come to the United States where tipping is expected for good service? I’d love to hear from anyone who lives in a country where tipping isn’t customary. 

I'm in Ireland but lived in the UK too, there's tipping in both countries but nothing near the level as in the US.  It's mostly in restaurant/cafes if you've been served at your table - not self-service, hairdressers or maybe a taxi if for example the fare comes to €9 most people will round it up to €10.  €10% is the customary tip.  Restaurants serving a table of 6 or more may charge a 10% service charge but then you wouldn't tip as well.

I'm going to the US, Mexico and Canada next month so I will be paying the customary tips though I'm bamboozled by who to tip and how much to tip.  I'm going to have to take note so I don't offend anyone.

Having worked in hospitality in Ireland when I was younger it was rare for US tourists to tip apart from on coach trips and hotel porters.

• Thanks 2

On 2/7/2023 at 2:39 AM, Castaway Cowgirl said:

I do think it is rude to solicit tips.  I also am starting to find tipping overwhelming.  It used to be more limited. 

I agree.  On my last Mexico cruise everyone had their hands out for tips.  Even the Platinum/Elite lounge servers seemed to expect tipping.    Add that to all the hawkers at the ports and it was indeed overwhelming.     Every excursion guide asked for a tip.  In Mazatlán, the drivers that took passengers out of the port asked for tips.    Tipping is out of control. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Kabuki12 said:

I agree.  On my last Mexico cruise everyone had their hands out for tips.  Even the Platinum/Elite lounge servers seemed to expect tipping.    Add that to all the hawkers at the ports and it was indeed overwhelming.     Every excursion guide asked for a tip.  In Mazatlán, the drivers that took passengers out of the port asked for tips.    Tipping is out of control. 

Been on 3 cruises to Matzalan recently. I did not have a single driver between the ship and the terminal ask for a tip. Or do you consider that they have a box on the cab labeled tips as asking for them 

Also did not have any of the waiters in the platinum/elite lounge ask for tips or even seem like they expected them. Though service in the lounge was excellent on all 3 cruises. Did have 1 tour guide in PV mention once that they accept tips. The crew on a snorkel boat did pass around a tip jar, but that is pretty common on boat trips.

19 hours ago, Deisemum said:

I'm in Ireland but lived in the UK too, there's tipping in both countries but nothing near the level as in the US.  It's mostly in restaurant/cafes if you've been served at your table - not self-service, hairdressers or maybe a taxi if for example the fare comes to €9 most people will round it up to €10.  €10% is the customary tip.  Restaurants serving a table of 6 or more may charge a 10% service charge but then you wouldn't tip as well.

I'm going to the US, Mexico and Canada next month so I will be paying the customary tips though I'm bamboozled by who to tip and how much to tip.  I'm going to have to take note so I don't offend anyone.

Having worked in hospitality in Ireland when I was younger it was rare for US tourists to tip apart from on coach trips and hotel porters.

Pretty much the same here in my experience as an Australian while travelling at home or in the UK or Ireland and the rest of Western Europe for that matter.

Travel in the US or Canada we tip as is the norm. It gets confusing and stressful for tourists unused to tipping however when it seems for any kind of service a tip might be expected. Even a security guard at an airport. say SFO,  who helps your wife lift a bag onto a conveyor belt might hold out their hand and say "I gave you good service".

There is tipping in Australia. But only in the tourist or hospitality industry. It's not however, expected. And is only really considered for truly exceptional service or where a server or restaurant has had to work hard with a large dining group eg.

Now. Tour groups in Australia. Yes you may find there's encouragement from the tour company or from within the tour group itself to tip guides and drivers. This is a matter of going with the flow and nothing to get hung up about because, while drivers and guides may welcome a tip It's not normally expected.

Edited by Galesa
Addition
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, ldtr said:

Been on 3 cruises to Matzalan recently. I did not have a single driver between the ship and the terminal ask for a tip. Or do you consider that they have a box on the cab labeled tips as asking for them 

Also did not have any of the waiters in the platinum/elite lounge ask for tips or even seem like they expected them. Though service in the lounge was excellent on all 3 cruises. Did have 1 tour guide in PV mention once that they accept tips. The crew on a snorkel boat did pass around a tip jar, but that is pretty common on boat trips.

As I wrote, verbally asked for tips. 2 Mazatlan port drivers asked for tips.   I have taken 8 Mexico cruises since November.  7 with Princess and one with Royal Carribean.   Snorkeling excursions did ask for tips by passing a hat around and some held a hat when we exited. the boat.  I remember a young honeymooning couple embarrassed because they were on a budget. 

I have had some really bad excursion guides that asked for tips.  

I did not tip in the Platinum/Elite lounge and ended up being ignored the 3rd day as did another that did not tip.  We noticed that others around us were tipping.  They seemed to get the service.  I actually went to the bar to get a drink.    That was my first experience of having that happen in that particular lounge.   

In addition ,when taking Cabo water taxis to Medina Beach, someone will be there to help you out of the boat and will ask for your bag to carry.  They will always demand a tip and hold on to your bag until they get that tip.  

Not a bad why to make a living. 40 tourist tipping $5. each = $200 = $50. hour. Then add those North Americans that like to brag about how big they tip and you really make good money. A guide tipped $2. each makes $80. for 4 hours work that is $20 hour. None of this includes what he or she is being payed by the bus company. So tip what you like but these guides are not going home destitute.

• Thanks 1

For those who find it difficult to tip the recommended amount, let me offer a different perspective.

Tipping for good service is a "pay it forward," selfless, cultural practice in many places. In other words, if you have a good experience from someone who expects to be tipped, many times it is because people  before you tipped generously (not always, but frequently). When people who expect tips give poor service, it is often because they feel they were under tipped in the past. 

Your tip encourages the person being tipped to offer the same level of service to the next person that you received. Why? Because tomorrow, you might very well be that next person. 

Some ask why not just charge what the service is worth up front and do away with the tipping? That would be logical but it is not the culture that people who live in that place want to promote. 

Edited by roadster08

On 2/15/2023 at 4:04 PM, roadster08 said:

For those who find it difficult to tip the recommended amount, let me offer a different perspective.

Tipping for good service is a "pay it forward," selfless, cultural practice in many places. In other words, if you have a good experience from someone who expects to be tipped, many times it is because people  before you tipped generously (not always, but frequently). When people who expect tips give poor service, it is often because they feel they were under tipped in the past. 

Your tip encourages the person being tipped to offer the same level of service to the next person that you received. Why? Because tomorrow, you might very well be that next person. 

Some ask why not just charge what the service is worth up front and do away with the tipping? That would be logical but it is not the culture that people who live in that place want to promote. 

Roadster Thank you so much for your insights. They are refreshing. I have always wondered if those who have worked for tips have a different attitude towards tipping from those who have not. Many years ago while my mom was finishing her degree she worked at a job that relied on tips. Her customers always rewarded her hard work and I can remember celebrating the days when she made $25.00 in tips in 1970. To this day she remains the most generous tipper I know because she knows that any individual might be a 24 year old widowed single mother college student with huge ambitions. I assume my servers, porters, cab drivers etc. have a little guy at home waiting to count out the money each day and prepare for that Monday bank bag deposit. For me those tips built a beautiful world that paved the way for private schools, university,  world travel and all the good things that I know. 

On 2/7/2023 at 2:39 AM, Castaway Cowgirl said:

I do think it is rude to solicit tips.  I also am starting to find tipping overwhelming.  It used to be more limited. 

The quickest way to ensure I do not tip is to have a tip jar right next to the register or a "suggested tip" on the credit card screen.

• Like 1

So many suggestions here but don't see an answer for my trip in Aug. I checked on the Europe boards but got more confused.

1 - We have a land tour in Italy before our cruise. Tip each tour for three areas, or just a guide that is supposed to be with us? Also US $$$ or local currency?

2 -  Princess tours in each port, Italy, Turkey, and Greece, local currency or US?

3 - I use my Princess Visa for all travel, this includes on excursions at shops etc. Should we have local currency for a stop at a cafe and would we have guidance for tipping at these?

I have plenty of time to get currency for each area as will be in Boston several times between now and the summer vacation. I understand we would need to go to an international bank.

Thanks as always.

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

So many suggestions here but don't see an answer for my trip in Aug. I checked on the Europe boards but got more confused.

1 - We have a land tour in Italy before our cruise. Tip each tour for three areas, or just a guide that is supposed to be with us? Also US $$$ or local currency?

2 -  Princess tours in each port, Italy, Turkey, and Greece, local currency or US?

3 - I use my Princess Visa for all travel, this includes on excursions at shops etc. Should we have local currency for a stop at a cafe and would we have guidance for tipping at these?

I have plenty of time to get currency for each area as will be in Boston several times between now and the summer vacation. I understand we would need to go to an international bank.

Thanks as always.

I think that tipping in the local currency is the way to go. Yes, I know that dollars can be converted into local currency, but that comes at a cost to the guide.

Just think - would you tip in Euros when in the US ?

• Like 2

On 2/15/2023 at 1:04 PM, roadster08 said:

What I hear you saying is that these folks take no pride in their jobs or a job well done. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 10:53 AM, wowzz said:

I think that tipping in the local currency is the way to go. Yes, I know that dollars can be converted into local currency, but that comes at a cost to the guide.

Just think - would you tip in Euros when in the US ?

Thanks for your feedback it makes sense of course.

We will get local currency from AAA we have used them in the past. Just need to figure how much and which currency we need for Turkey. Know Italy and Greece will be Euros.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 1:26 AM, caribill said:

And if they mention it a number of times, not just once?

Guess I haven't had that happen. I tip almost everyone, including fast food workers. Most are VERY appreciative. Life is tough for a lot of these people.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 9:53 AM, wowzz said:

Depends on the itinerary.  On a Caribbean cruise with ports in multiple countries, each with their own currency, I'm not going to exchange money in each port for the sole purpose of tipping for the 8 hours I'm in port.  All the businesses I transact with are used to tourists with and gladly accept (and often prefer) USD, as do their tipped employees.