Official language on Explora Journey ships?

travelberlin

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Does anybody have information which language is Explora going to use? Will there be announcements in several languages like in MSC?

Ivi

Interesting question. For those ships home porting in the US, their Head Cruise Director Gene Young said that the Public Address announcements will only be in English (except during muster drill). Perhaps a future ship will be home ported in the US as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting question.  I will admit to not caring since we enjoy being on a very international ship.  I have no doubt that most of the crew, who regularly deal with the passengers, will have varied language skills.  We have always enjoyed the Yacht Club because we would meet folks from all over the world and crew with a lot of different backgrounds.  

I do suspect that Explora will have a very strong base of European passengers, because that is where MSC has their major base.  While Americans might be cautious about booking a new cruise line, the Europeans familiar with the MSC organization will not hesitate.

Hank

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2023 at 8:20 PM, Hlitner said:

Very interesting question.  I will admit to not caring since we enjoy being on a very international ship.  I have no doubt that most of the crew, who regularly deal with the passengers, will have varied language skills.  We have always enjoyed the Yacht Club because we would meet folks from all over the world and crew with a lot of different backgrounds.  

I do suspect that Explora will have a very strong base of European passengers, because that is where MSC has their major base.  While Americans might be cautious about booking a new cruise line, the Europeans familiar with the MSC organization will not hesitate.

Hank

Agreed!

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2023 at 2:59 PM, travelberlin said:

After just debarking from an MSC ship in which the announcements were made in several languages, many times per day, I am still wondering if at the Explora ships will be the same.

Ivi

I very much doubt it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

English only and bare minimum of announcements. Muster drill, captain once a day and right before sailaways, and disembarkation. I think that was it. We liked it.

we met many Europeans on board who seemed to be having a good time. Not sure how it would be if someone truly spoke no English though