Is the MSC USA website malfunctioning?

Itchy&Scratchy

and just like magic, plenty of inside cabins are available for 1 or 2 people. But not on deck 10 which I need...

Booked deck 11 just in case for now, and if deck 10 becomes available, I will ask to move the booking there. If not, oh well.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

As someone who has worked in IT for 40 years, I can tell you that the MSC website is by far the worst of any of the cruise lines. And by "worst", I mean it wouldn't even get past the initial 5 minutes of a usability review. 

It needs a total revamp from top to bottom. 

And I can't comment on their "MSC for Me" app since I can't use it on the ship (Divina) I will be on next month. That's another problem - people expect an app on their cruise now, without excuses. Not sure what the technological issue is with the app not working on the majority of their fleet, but they need to put some money into their IT situation.

(No, I'm not a phone-addicted person, needing endless apps to simply survive. While I am in IT,  I grew up long before any of this technology existed).

Edited by tscoffey
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tscoffey said:

And I can't comment on their "MSC for Me" app since I can't use it on the ship (Divina) I will be on next month. That's another problem - people expect an app on their cruise now, without excuses. Not sure what the technological issue is with the app not working on the majority of their fleet, but they need to put some money into their IT situation.

I was on the Divina in October, and was told they had not upgraded to a smart ship yet because they were waiting until the ship was going to be permanently redeployed to Europe. Their comment was the system needed for Europe is different than the US and they did not want to have to do the upgrade twice.  I’m not an IT person, but I was not aware that there was a difference in the technology between Europe and the US for Wi-Fi that would be used on a ship. It sounded like it was probably a made up excuse for them not spending the money to upgrade it now.

3 hours ago, tscoffey said:

As someone who has worked in IT for 40 years, I can tell you that the MSC website is by far the worst of any of the cruise lines. And by "worst", I mean it wouldn't even get past the initial 5 minutes of a usability review. 

It needs a total revamp from top to bottom. 

I don't have any IT experience but since I started cruising with MSC in 2017 I've marveled at how out of date their website is. It seems so bizarre that you still can't go onto their website to make a partial payment. Virgin Voyages is almost a brand new cruise line and they have that ability. I have no idea about costs, but I have a hard time believing that MSC can't afford to poach some IT talent from other cruise lines to get themselves caught up with the likes of Carnival, RC, and NCL. 

36 minutes ago, optimusprime82 said:

I don't have any IT experience but since I started cruising with MSC in 2017 I've marveled at how out of date their website is. It seems so bizarre that you still can't go onto their website to make a partial payment. Virgin Voyages is almost a brand new cruise line and they have that ability. I have no idea about costs, but I have a hard time believing that MSC can't afford to poach some IT talent from other cruise lines to get themselves caught up with the likes of Carnival, RC, and NCL. 

For one reason or another, they have made a business decision to not invest in their booking platform. Draw what conclusions you will.

Parts of it work ok. But the whole site has an abruptness and clunkiness to it. Poor flow from one action to the next. And I have yet to have anything work when I click on “Cruise details”, except an indecipherable error (which looks like a hard error from Java/Javascript, which should never make it’s way out of the execution log and into a users face).

They should take cues from NCL or Celebrity. Even HAL has a much better site than this. 

7 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Seems to work fine on my iPad and MacBookAir…

depends on a cruise. This morning it let me look up a Divina cruise, but not Seascape or Seashore during the same week. Now it's working ok, so I'd better start looking things up. 🙂

ETA: spoke too soon, still unable to see the Seashore cruise in March 2024.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy