Viking Lyon to Paris Train Transfer

lucky cal

We're doing France's Finest on Viking in June 2023. It includes two cruises, Avignon to Lyon and Paris to Normandy, with a train transfer from Lyon to Paris between the two ships. Has anyone else done this and if so, can you tell me what the train transfer day is like? I'm wondering if it's an early train that will enable us to have lots of free time in Paris that day? Or do we leave Lyon later which might then only allow for evening activities in Paris? I know the train ride is only about 2 hours, with buses to the ships on both ends.

My mother has her heart set on going up the Eiffel Tower and we want to purchase the tickets 2 months in advance. Based on our itinerary, I think this would be the best day for us to fit in a visit the Tower but I'm trying to decide if we can book afternoon tickets. Or should we just go with night tickets.

Again, no direct experience with Viking, but if one leg of the cruise ends in Lyon, debarkation time will probably be in the morning as new passengers will be arriving to board.  We did something similar on our own with Uniworld and we were on the same train car as the people who were continuing on with the organized Uniworld tour.  

One of the podcasts I follow has just published a VoiceMap tour of Eiffel Tower if you're interested in having someone speak into your ear as you explore the area around the tower.  I haven't listened to this tour, but she previewed it on her last podcasts and gives hints on best photo spots, etc. Once you have the code, you can listen as many times as you want.   https://joinusinfrance.com/boutique/eiffel-tower-voicemap-tour/

• Like 1

If your ship docks at Port de Grenelle, you’re looking at a 15 walk to get to the tower area. I can’t help with Viking’s itinerary and timing on that transfer day. Our experience was on the arrival day, so we knew the time our flight was going to arrive and how long it would take to get to the ship after that. 

On 2/10/2023 at 7:15 AM, beesKate said:

Again, no direct experience with Viking, ...We did something similar on our own with Uniworld and we were on the same train car as the people who were continuing on with the organized Uniworld tour.  

--- I looked at our train ticket, we were on the 9:51 AM train out of Lyon Perrache and arrived Gare Lyon a little after noon. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would try to get in touch with TellUs@vikingcruises.com and see if they can tell you the timing of the train transfer.  We did the reverse, going from Paris to Lyon - left in the morning on the train, think the train left around 10 AM, it was high speed so it only took a few hours.  Viking handled all the luggage via a truck, we just had our personal items.  We had lunch on the ship.  I would try for a very late PM or early evening time.  I will be making reservations for the Eiffel Tower in May for our Cities of Light cruise.  You will have a wonderful time doing France's Finest - we had a fabulous time on both portions of the river cruises.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 3:52 PM, lucky cal said:

My mother has her heart set on going up the Eiffel Tower and we want to purchase the tickets 2 months in advance. Based on our itinerary, I think this would be the best day for us to fit in a visit the Tower but I'm trying to decide if we can book afternoon tickets. Or should we just go with night tickets.

Hi, I just booked our Eiffel Tower to the top tickets for Monday, May 8th.  I suggest trying to book the tickets as soon as it is the 61st day before the date you want and on the east coast, that will be 6 PM.  It is worthwhile to try booking tickets before you have to do it to get a sense of how the website works.  Also have an alternative credit card available - for some reason, my usual Visa card was not accepted but my other one worked.  The website gives you about ten minutes to process your order once you pick a date & time.  So I did the order on March 8th once it was 6 PM(midnight, March 9th in Paris).  Good luck, I hope you & your mom get to the top of the Eiffel Tower too!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SM77 said:

Hi, I just booked our Eiffel Tower to the top tickets for Monday, May 8th.  I suggest trying to book the tickets as soon as it is the 61st day before the date you want and on the east coast, that will be 6 PM.  It is worthwhile to try booking tickets before you have to do it to get a sense of how the website works.  Also have an alternative credit card available - for some reason, my usual Visa card was not accepted but my other one worked.  The website gives you about ten minutes to process your order once you pick a date & time.  So I did the order on March 8th once it was 6 PM(midnight, March 9th in Paris).  Good luck, I hope you & your mom get to the top of the Eiffel Tower too!

If you are  unable to get tickets through the Eiffel Tower website [I tried in 2015, but the bots beat me to it!], you can go with a small-group tour.  This costs more, but we found that the guide really added to our understanding and enjoyment.  We used Fat Tire tours:

https://www.fattiretours.com/paris/tours/small-group-eiffel-tower-tour/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We did this in April 2022. We left the boat in  Lyon around 8 and arrived at the boat in Paris around noon.  You should be able to make an afternoon reservation for the Eiffel Tower. It’s about a 15 minute walk.  France’s Cinest is a great trip! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jktj said:

We did this in April 2022. We left the boat in  Lyon around 8 and arrived at the boat in Paris around noon.  You should be able to make an afternoon reservation for the Eiffel Tower. It’s about a 15 minute walk.  France’s Cinest is a great trip! 

Thanks! Just what we were hoping to hear from someone who has done the trip.