Question for those that have sailed in Mediterranean port intensive itinerary

suni

We plan to create our own “Sea Days” on our three week cruise on The Encore that goes to Greece and Turkey. We are in a port EVERY day. There  are days we will chose not to get off the ship and just enjoy the calm. I read somewhere that the dining room was closed on a sail on port days. Can anyone chime in on this? We will want to be able to dine and relax on the ship, enjoy the spa, gym, and the peace and quiet. 

I am on the Encore for two weeks with a stop every day 7th to 21st May. We also may not get off every day or get off for a stroll for an hour and come back to the ship. We only ever have a snack for lunch so it won't affect me if the restaurant is closed.

39 minutes ago, suni said:

We plan to create our own “Sea Days” on our three week cruise on The Encore that goes to Greece and Turkey. We are in a port EVERY day. There  are days we will chose not to get off the ship and just enjoy the calm. I read somewhere that the dining room was closed on a sail on port days. Can anyone chime in on this? We will want to be able to dine and relax on the ship, enjoy the spa, gym, and the peace and quiet. 

We were in quarantine last year on this ship for 8 days.  The majority of those days we were at anchor and even trapped on our balcony it was bliss.  If we had had the run of the ship if would have been even better.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Darspurs said:

I am on the Encore for two weeks with a stop every day 7th to 21st May. We also may not get off every day or get off for a stroll for an hour and come back to the ship. We only ever have a snack for lunch so it won't affect me if the restaurant is closed.

It wasn’t open last year but post Covid who knows.  We join in the 21st so will miss you.

On 2/10/2023 at 7:17 AM, suni said:

My wife and I cruised the Ovation last year in the med and just completed last week the Ovation yachtsman in the southern Caribbean.   We tried the retreat for the afternoon slot on the last day of the cruise while anchored in Grenada.  It was $129 per cabin and we found the experience to be nice for the price point.  The retreat was 1/3 full (with a full ship) and the relaxation and quiet was nice.  The menu was more creative with the cocktails and food.  I believe there were two servers there who walked around to assist.  I would do it again for that price.  We were there from 1400-1800.

Enjoy its great to have the ship when not busy!

248A75A3-4F54-485E-BB13-E77EE249957D.jpeg

AF114A12-DC1F-42AF-938C-A62E24AC4DC1.jpeg

• Like 1

I had Bollinger at the Retreat in 2021 and 2022.  Is it now Pommery?

The Retreat is for the whole day.  Most guests start in the late morning and leave by late afternoon.  Sometimes they do special pricing for the entire cruise (vs. a daily price).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

@goodvino808

Thanks. I had a vague memory they had offered Krug at one point.

Krug is not the right price point for the Retreat.  Seabourn will lose money.

I think they started with Veuve Clicquot but perhaps someone who knows for sure can chime in.

8 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Ahh. Good to know. Can it be reserved prior to cruise?  Thank you

Yes, if you log onto your seabourn account and go to 1) your booking, 2) Cruise activities, 3) The Retreat, you will see the pricing for Port Day and for Sea Day (for my upcoming cruise, it's $149 vs $249 per day per suite, not per person) and can book for specific dates.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, goodvino808 said:

Haha. For 129 I thought it was fair price for a break from the crowded pool

Here's where my vague memory came from. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2787143-next-question-what’s-the-deal-with-the-retreat-on-the-encore-ovation/

If I had read the entire thread I would have realized the truth, no Krug. 🤣 In my slight defense the Retreat pricing was different back then $249/349. I figured the Krug was a bit of a loss leader if Seabourns cost was under $150. But alas, no Krug and perhaps Seabourn has found a viable price point for the Retreat to survive or at least not be a total loss.

12 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

Which ship will you sail on?  The Retreat is only on Encore and Ovation.

I am still a bit confused. When I look at the deck plans for,Quest it shows The Retreat on deck 11. Was this removed during a dry dock or retrofit?  
I am certain you are correct, but I find it a bit odd that the website deck plan shows it. 

12 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I am still a bit confused. When I look at the deck plans for,Quest it shows The Retreat on deck 11. Was this removed during a dry dock or retrofit?  
I am certain you are correct, but I find it a bit odd that the website deck plan shows it. 

It is a retreat of sorts but not a facility with cabanas,tables,chairs,TV and a drinks list.

It is an open space and has shuffleboard.

It's all part of the sundeck really.

• Like 1

Maybe the marketing gurus like to pretend that the Retreat (retreat from what?)  is on the Ody class ships so they can pretend it is popular and meets customer demand and/or they have never been on the ships. Either way it certainly is a misleading indicator as you found out. The good news for you is you will have deck space for golf putting, ping pong, shuffle board etc, options unavailable on the Encore class ships as this silly Retreat concept takes the space away from general usage.

Happy and healthy sailing!

11 minutes ago, markham said:

Maybe the marketing gurus like to pretend that the Retreat (retreat from what?)  is on the Ody class ships so they can pretend it is popular and meets customer demand and/or they have never been on the ships. Either way it certainly is a misleading indicator as you found out. The good news for you is you will have deck space for golf putting, ping pong, shuffle board etc, options unavailable on the Encore class ships as this silly Retreat concept takes the space away from general usage.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Markham,

What about a darts tournament in the real retreat on the larger ships.

One hundred and Eeeeiiiiiiggghhhtttyeeee.