FAS dining with teen

OrangeCatRamblers

Sailing on the Prima and made a reservation at Onda. Can my teen join us and eat for free, considering the offerings, like pizza and salad, are large and shareable? 

If my teen orders something like an extra app that we'd pay for, surely there's no sharing police preventing a teen from eating mom & dad's pizza?

I'm specifying teen here because the kids menu wouldn't apply. 

No. Sharing of food is not permitted. 

You will need to pay for a dining package for your teen. Or just pay a la cart and let them order their own food. 

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

Specialty Dining Packages are personal (per person, e.g., 2 guests cannot share 1 SDP meal) and non-transferable (guests cannot give their SDP meals to someone else). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems a shame to have food go to waste instead of sharing. Can we get the leftover pizza boxed to go? 

I see on another thread that some adults were allowed to share, I guess it's worth asking at Onda. My teen certainly can eat much more than I can! 

I also want to know if anyone shared a pizza with people paying a la cart.

1 hour ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

It seems a shame to have food go to waste instead of sharing. Can we get the leftover pizza boxed to go? 

I see on another thread that some adults were allowed to share, I guess it's worth asking at Onda. My teen certainly can eat much more than I can! 

From above:

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No. Sharing of food is not permitted. 

You will need to pay for a dining package for your teen. Or just pay a la cart and let them order their own food. 

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

Specialty Dining Packages are personal (per person, e.g., 2 guests cannot share 1 SDP meal) and non-transferable (guests cannot give their SDP meals to someone else). 

Also, in the linked FAQ:

"Sharing of an SDP meal or to go food is not permitted."

[emphasis added]

What is not clear?

That these rules apply to all passengers (including you)?

And if your teen can eat more than you, then this certainly isn't a situation where someone wants to claim that "my little child can only eat one or two bites..."

As for what other people may have done (or claimed to have done), I wouldn't ever argue that "Others were allowed to break the rules, so why can't we!??"

GC

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Just follow the rules - you know what they are - we all do - why are you looking for an exception?

24 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

From above:

Also, in the linked FAQ:

"Sharing of an SDP meal or to go food is not permitted."

[emphasis added]

What is not clear?

That these rules apply to all passengers (including you)?

And if your teen can eat more than you, then this certainly isn't a situation where someone wants to claim that "my little child can only eat one or two bites..."

As for what other people may have done (or claimed to have done), I wouldn't ever argue that "Others were allowed to break the rules, so why can't we!??"

GC

Geezer Couple - thank you for being the rational voice of wisdom.

37 minutes ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

So interesting about the food to go! I wonder why food waste is the preferable situation to a doggy bag. Does anyone have any insight into that? 

Might have something to do with the fact that the cabins don't provide for proper and safe food storage.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

But anyone can take anything from the buffet for however long, right? Someone could keep a tuna sandwich in a drawer. 

Tuna sandwich in a drawer? Sorry, were you looking for an answer to your question or did you just want to argue ridiculous made up points?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

So interesting about the food to go! I wonder why food waste is the preferable situation to a doggy bag. Does anyone have any insight into that? 

The food doesn't go to waste. It is ground up and released into the ocean for marine life to eat or (on some ships) it is turned into fertilizer to help grow food on land. 

• Like 1

Rules are rules.  None of us here are rule [those German politicians], but we gotta know what we're getting into when we go on a cruise.  Including not sharing SDP food.  If we want an exception, the most we can do is ask nicely and give an explanation, but even then, a "yes" is far from guaranteed.

2 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

But anyone can take anything from the buffet for however long, right? Someone could keep a tuna sandwich in a drawer.

Are you for real!?  Tuna salad is one of the fastest-spoiling foods.  Do you really want to give yourself food poisoning, and spend the bulk of your cruise on the toilet instead of the lido deck?  I can maybe see a peanut butter and jelly sandwich staying safe in a cabin drawer for a few hours.  But definitely not tuna salad!

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Rules are rules.  None of us here are rule [those German politicians], but we gotta know what we're getting into when we go on a cruise.  Including not sharing SDP food.  If we want an exception, the most we can do is ask nicely and give an explanation, but even then, a "yes" is far from guaranteed.

Are you for real!?  Tuna salad is one of the fastest-spoiling foods.  Do you really want to give yourself food poisoning, and spend the bulk of your cruise on the toilet instead of the lido deck?  I can maybe see a peanut butter and jelly sandwich staying safe in a cabin drawer for a few hours.  But definitely not tuna salad!

I'm so sorry you didn't understand me saying I don't know why I can't get a pizza to go for my teen to finish that evening, when other people with questionable hygiene practices could take whatever they want from a buffet and secret it wherever they'd like in the cabin. 

I assure you leftover pizza would last .2 seconds in my cabin, and I would never, under any circumstances, leave a tuna sandwich to fester. 

However, if I'm prohibited from taking pizza back because leftovers can't be guaranteed kept at a food safe temperature, shouldn't every passenger then be prohibited from bringing anything back from the buffet?

Actually I guess bringing a discreet Ziploc to Onda would solve my pizza issue. But we've been down that road before.

I guess the other question is why are the pizzas at Onda so large? They surely cannot be meant for one person. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

I'm so sorry you didn't understand me saying I don't know why I can't get a pizza to go for my teen to finish that evening, when other people with questionable hygiene practices could take whatever they want from a buffet and secret it wherever they'd like in the cabin. 

I assure you leftover pizza would last .2 seconds in my cabin, and I would never, under any circumstances, leave a tuna sandwich to fester. 

However, if I'm prohibited from taking pizza back because leftovers can't be guaranteed kept at a food safe temperature, shouldn't every passenger then be prohibited from bringing anything back from the buffet?

Actually I guess bringing a discreet Ziploc to Onda would solve my pizza issue. But we've been down that road before.

I guess the other question is why are the pizzas at Onda so large? They surely cannot be meant for one person. 

I really don't see how whataboutism is a valid argument.

If you are truly concerned about food waste, you could always choose to only order what you can completely consume at your meal. That would eliminate concerns of waste.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Did you actually think they were being serious? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1