Older vs Newer HAL Ships

mcrcruiser

We loved the Maasdam and some of the older ships.  The lanai cabins were such a hit with us.  We found them to be just the right size for us, even on the long cruises.  Loved the walk around Promenade deck.  Nothing beats that, absolutely nothing. 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2023 at 5:37 PM, DAF7065 said:

This posting has been around for some time with no action in awhile.   I hope I can hear some replies from more knowledgeable cruisers.  I really do not have much to compare to as not sailed recently.   

We just sailed Oosterdam on 12 day Med.   It was a nice cruise but I thought the ship was a bit tired.   My wife says next time "I want a newer ship".   Not sure if newer ships have less carpeting but thought the carpets were a bit worn and dated for one.

Now my question comes with "Refurbishing" and what that means, how can I find out what will or has been improved.    On the Med Cruise I signed up for a 2025 cruise on Zaandam, another older ship.  this cruise is to the Amazon for 27 days.   I did not worry about booking as can easily be cancelled. 

Supposedly to be or has been updated.  Any insight to what that means?   Where can I find out more details?  

Dave, Colin @VMax1700 kindly keeps a thread on scheduled dry docks, charters, etc.  He updates it periodically.  I think this is the most recent one which may help you with your refurbishment question (dry dock) -https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2928708-april-2023-update-hal-dry-docks-charters-groups-onboard/#comment-65546625 

• Like 1