Labadee

NoShoes2

1 hour ago, Toddcan said:

Ah, Baby Doc.  Like his father, he was a ruthless dictator.   He became president for life in 1971, and was ousted in 1986 when he left the country and moved to France. It was relatively peaceful when I was there, 1983-1984, but the protests were there, and ramped up leading to his leaving power in 1986

I just checked and Song of America would have lined up time wise with Baby Doc's departure.  I also noticed SOA is still in service being owned by another line.

• Thanks 1

We were able to visit Labadee from the Wonder in late Jan this year. Overall, I enjoyed it and hope to return. I was just sitting on the beach that day, but will definitely try either the zipline or the coaster if I return. 

Of note, I am melanin challenged, and need some shade. So I pre-purchased 2 chairs and an umbrella. The Wonder with its 3-4000 passengers was the only ship there. If I had hit the beach fairly early , would have been able to find free shade, either an umbrella and chair, or a towel under a tree. Being slow to get there, $$ was needed. 

On 2/16/2023 at 6:56 PM, NoShoes2 said:

We fell in love with Labadee on our first cruise in 1999. I was trying to figure out when we were last there and due to different itineraries and cancellations it turns out that we haven’t been there in nearly 10 years! I’m excited that we will be back there in 42 days (yes, I’m counting)! I’m sure a lot has changed since then. Can anyone tell me what we can expect?

It has been a long time since we have been there also and cannot wait to go back next Feb.  Love that place, especially Nellie's Beach.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 12:24 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

Yes, the vendors are aggressive, probably the most aggressive of any port we've been to. 

It's a close race, IMO, between the vendors at Labadee and the vendors in the former "gauntlet" at Nassau (the ones you HAD to pass by on the way out of the cruise terminal).   

The Bahamas' Minister of Tourism wondered publicly why cruise passengers held Nassau in such disdain; if he had taken a cruise and arrived there, he'd have understood why in a heartbeat.  🙂  

Caveat:  I've heard the "New and Improved" cruise center at Nassau has a better design.  I'm not a big fan of Nassau but I almost wouldn't mind going there to check out the new place.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:15 AM, TwinMamainMN said:

I do not look forward to that part at all. It's one of the things I greatly dislike about Costa Maya and Cozumel. Asking if I want to browse is one thing, but being aggressive is another. Labadee will be a new port for us when we are there in two weeks, and I'm looking forward to it after seeing these photos and the RC blog video about it.

As others have said, you can avoid that particular route if needed; it's wise to study a map of Labadee in advance so you can know your way around.   

Cozumel, IMO, isn't TOO bad, but in fairness I AM more used to the Puerta Maya pier and not the International pier.  The vendors and shopkeeps don't physically get in your way like they did in Nassau, and the walkways are wide enough.    The trick to actually shopping at the port is to wait a while after the ships have docked; the crowds die down a lot and it's easier to browse.  I'm still kicking myself for not buying penicillin at the drugstore there.  🙂  

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 7:30 AM, Ky Bill said:

Labadee is one of my fav ports.  Many years ago we were there when you had to tender ashore.  We were sailing on the Song of America which was a beautiful ship.  About two hours into our visit ashore we were rounded up and hurried back to the ship because of civil unrest.  I think that might have been when "Baby Doc" took power.  Labadee was closed for a number of years.  Labadee has changed greatly from those years long ago.  A new pier, out buildings and more accessible beaches.  

Enjoy your visit.

Bill

Our first cruise was on the Song of America. Christmas 1987. I remember well tendering in. There was not much there, just beautiful beaches, a small marketplace and a couple lunch spots. Locals hanging out in small boats, selling shells and trinkets. Took our kids back in the early 2000s. Still no dock, but they had wave runners to rent and an aqua park. Returning next week on the Harmony of the Seas. Looking forward to seeing all the changes. When did they build the pier?

On 2/23/2023 at 3:11 AM, corgigrl said:

Our first cruise was on the Song of America. Christmas 1987. I remember well tendering in. There was not much there, just beautiful beaches, a small marketplace and a couple lunch spots. Locals hanging out in small boats, selling shells and trinkets. Took our kids back in the early 2000s. Still no dock, but they had wave runners to rent and an aqua park. Returning next week on the Harmony of the Seas. Looking forward to seeing all the changes. When did they build the pier?

I don't know when the dock was built but I guarantee you won't believe what has been built since your last visit.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 6:56 PM, NoShoes2 said:

We fell in love with Labadee on our first cruise in 1999. I was trying to figure out when we were last there and due to different itineraries and cancellations it turns out that we haven’t been there in nearly 10 years! I’m excited that we will be back there in 42 days (yes, I’m counting)! I’m sure a lot has changed since then. Can anyone tell me what we can expect?

Was there in October 2022.  Water was full of rubbish. It was awful.  Still we waded in to cool down, but left abruptly when a condom floated along with me.  

I visited Labadee on my first cruise in 2008 and I loved it.  I didn't want to leave.  Ship was tendered.  Barefoot Beach with the hammocks was glorious.  Merchants were not aggressive.  I bought a couple items.  Food was good.  There was construction going on as they were adding to it.  I have really fond memories of Labadee.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhiskeyPoet said:

Curiously, what are the price ranges at the different straw market set ups? I'd like to get some stuff on this next trip and don't recall at all the prices for art/souvenirs from the markets.

There is a building called Artisan's Market at the one end of the vendor alley that has fixed prices marked on the items. But, through the "straw market" vendors, the prices and items for sale are all over the place. Are you looking for something specific?  Either way, the vendor might start off asking $40 for an item that you haggle down to $10.  So, I'm not sure you can get a concise answer to your question. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shellunderwater said:

If you go to Columbus Cove, take the tram over and back, don't walk thru the market area.

Sure, that's an option, but in my opinion, you'll miss one of the best things about Labadee - different strokes for different folks. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Toddcan said:

There is a building called Artisan's Market at the one end of the vendor alley that has fixed prices marked on the items. But, through the "straw market" vendors, the prices and items for sale are all over the place. Are you looking for something specific?  Either way, the vendor might start off asking $40 for an item that you haggle down to $10.  So, I'm not sure you can get a concise answer to your question. 

Yeah that's what I've seen. It's my understanding that the Artisan's Market is a bit more mass produced, but we're definitely going to check it out too.  We're looking for...anything honestly. Wall art, earthenware, any home décor type stuff. Not hoping to find anything specific, per se. Just whatever looks good when we see it.

37 minutes ago, WhiskeyPoet said:

Yeah that's what I've seen. It's my understanding that the Artisan's Market is a bit more mass produced, but we're definitely going to check it out too.  We're looking for...anything honestly. Wall art, earthenware, any home décor type stuff. Not hoping to find anything specific, per se. Just whatever looks good when we see it.

I think you will be surprised with the Artisan Market (fixed pricing) building. There is some higher end stuff there - I've picked up a few beautiful things there that the standard vendors would not carry.