Housekeeping moving to once a day?

Donsyb

I am not commenting on any speculation of what they make, because frankly it is none of my business and they did sign a contract, but I had a great steward on Symphony last week, she did service once a day and it was fine. I don't need overly much, just fresh towels, and I got many towel animals the whole week, and she really had fun dressing them up with stuff in my room. Left her an extra tip on top of prepaid gratuities 🙂 I did hear from several very frequent cruisers in the diamond lounge that the housekeeping crew does not like the housekeeping service going down to once per day, so maybe they do get paid less now. I can't waste my time overthinking it, I do the best I can with keeping my auto tips on and tipping at the end and I hope they get fairly compensated. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I am not commenting on any speculation of what they make, because frankly it is none of my business and they did sign a contract, but I had a great steward on Symphony last week, she did service once a day and it was fine. I don't need overly much, just fresh towels, and I got many towel animals the whole week, and she really had fun dressing them up with stuff in my room. Left her an extra tip on top of prepaid gratuities 🙂 I did hear from several very frequent cruisers in the diamond lounge that the housekeeping crew does not like the housekeeping service going down to once per day, so maybe they do get paid less now. I can't waste my time overthinking it, I do the best I can with keeping my auto tips on and tipping at the end and I hope they get fairly compensated. 

I share the sentiment.  They are not happy and thats a problem.  Way too much work for not enough pay.  Even if you make a ton of $$$ if you are having trouble keeping your head above water it wears you down.   They need to cut back to say 20 rooms at once a day.  Carnival does 35 😳

33 minutes ago, resetjet said:

I did the 25%.  You waiter gets the same.  Its not 25% of total,  its 25% of the steward tip. It is backed up by alot of research of crew posts.  Also by simple math.  Unless you believe a steward gets $5 a guest per day or $10 a room x 25 = $250 or $1500 a week plus extra guests and extra tips plus his $1360 a month salary for a total of at least $7360 a month as a minimum.  It would push much higher with the extras.

Your figures are even more vague than the cruise lines published gratuity breakdown figures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

How exactly did you come up with this 25% figure?  Can you provide specific sources for this other than "alot of research of crew posts"?  Where are these crew posts?

When i get time i will make a detailed post.   I have lost interest in this topic.  Too many people entrenched in their own beliefs.  It should be very simple to at

least start with a steward does not make $2000 a week.  

7 minutes ago, resetjet said:

When i get time i will make a detailed post.   I have lost interest in this topic.  Too many people entrenched in their own beliefs.  It should be very simple to at

least start with a steward does not make $2000 a week.  

Lol that's what I thought.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Ok.  Whats your figures?  

1 minute ago, resetjet said:

So you believe they make $2000 a week or more???

Do yourself a favor and google how much does a ship steward make.

I don’t have any figures and neither do you; you have fuzzy math that you have derived from even fuzzier public facing documentation provided from the cruise lines, and supposedly some crew (crew that has a vested interest in promoting a POV, and would never be considered a source of indiscriminate information)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Hate to chime in on this, but does it really matter if they make 2k a week or more? I don't think they do make that, but omg if they do, that is so amazing for them

Well I hope they do as well.  But that is not the argument.  The topic is, how much of the cabin stewards tips do they get to keep.  Its pretty easy to figure out, if you just do a little math and a little googling, but nobody is willing to do that, just tell me how my answers are wrong.  But such is life on a message board, its not often about working toward a common solution, its often about defending ones initial point of view to the bitter end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I don’t have any figures and neither do you; you have fuzzy math that you have derived from even fuzzier public facing documentation provided from the cruise lines, and supposedly some crew (crew that has a vested interest in promoting a POV, and would never be considered a source of indiscriminate information)

So true. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Rusty_lock said:

From the article, if accurately reported:

"Cabin Stewards: Average Salary of $650-$1,150 monthly, including gratuities. If they work on a luxury cruise line, they may receive over $2,000 each month with tips."

4 minutes ago, Longford said:

"Cabin Stewards: Average Salary of $650-$1,150 monthly, including gratuities. If they work on a luxury cruise line, they may receive over $2,000 each month with tips."

And now with double the cash tip opportunities and an increase in the number of cabin auto tips and the recent increase in auto tips, its more. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Longford said:

That is really low.  If you google ship steward steward salary you will find the range to be between 3000 and 4500 a month.  With a median of $3500 as reported by sources like indeed,  zippia,  glassdoor

etc.  shiplife.org reports a salary on rccl of $1360 which is consistent with other lines and reports.  This would leave ablt least  $2000 a month in tips.  Or about $500 per week in tips.  With 25 rooms that would equate to about $20 per week in tips per room.  Since 25

rooms at double occupancy and the stewards tip per person is $4.44 

per day (collected by the ship) a room would constitute $8.88.  That times 25 rooms = $222 dollars a day collected by the cruise line.  Which times 7 days is $1554 per week.  500/1554 = 32% is what he

gets to to keep in this example.  Now there are variables such as people

stiffing them,  people tipping them extra and more then double occupancy and the number of rooms they are assigned.  I am yet to sail on rcl with one cleaning a day,  but the consensus on cc is 25 rooms.  Carnival is 35 😳. Now whatever the exact number is,  its not super far

from this one.  Its easy to see 2 things:

1 Stewards do not likely make $1554 a week times 4 + 1360 = $7576 a month.

2.  There is a large piece of the pie missing from the steward tip.  As much as 75% if you figure extra tips and more then 2 per room.  

where did it go?  If you research the other housekeeping jobs salaries,  its easy to see that they are being tipped out as well.  This combined with a ton of other youtube stuff,  crew posts on message boards,  help wanted ads,  and talking with crew.  I have come to these conclusions.  It shouldnt take more then it is very unlikely a steward makes $2000 a week.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, resetjet said:

That is really low.  If you google ship steward steward salary you will find the range to be between 3000 and 4500 a month.  With a median of $3500 as reported by sources like indeed,  zippia,  glassdoor

etc.  shiplife.org reports a salary on rccl of $1360 which is consistent with other lines and reports.  This would leave ablt least  $2000 a month in tips.  Or about $500 per week in tips.  With 25 rooms that would equate to about $20 per week in tips per room.  Since 25

per day (collected by the ship) a room would constitute $8.88.  That times 25 rooms = $222 dollars a day collected by the cruise line.  Which times 7 days is $1554 per week.  500/1554 = 32% is what he

stiffing them,  people tipping them extra and more then double occupancy and the number of rooms they are assigned.  I am yet to sail on rcl with one cleaning a day,  but the consensus on cc is 25 rooms.  Carnival is 35 😳. Now whatever the exact number is,  its not super far

2.  There is a large piece of the pie missing from the steward tip.  As much as 75% if you figure extra tips and more then 2 per room.  

where did it go?  If you research the other housekeeping jobs salaries,  its easy to see that they are being tipped out as well.  This combined with a ton of other youtube stuff,  crew posts on message boards,  help wanted ads,  and talking with crew.  I have come to these conclusions.  It shouldnt take more then it is very unlikely a steward makes $2000 a week.  

Tax free. So double it for comparison to land based wages.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, resetjet said:

FAR too many assumptions and missing data here to make this the least bit reliable. Randomly filling in missing data points with here-say and hyperbole and then claiming the outcome is somehow accurate.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

FAR too many assumptions and missing data here to make this the least bit reliable. Randomly filling in missing data points with here-say and hyperbole and then claiming the outcome is somehow accurate.

Well maybe you can enlighten us???    Does it take more then a steward does not make $2000 a week?????  I love how people who have done no research, have no numbers or sources to add seem to somehow know if the answer is accurate or not.  

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Well maybe you can enlighten us???    Does it take more then a steward does not make $2000 a week?????  I love how people who have done no research, have no numbers or sources to add seem to somehow know if the answer is accurate or not.  

I never said I have the answers, I’m telling you I don’t.  Neither do you, stop acting like you do. Stop claiming to have done research, for which there are no resources. Unless you are employed in HR or payroll and finance at Royal Caribbean, all you have are opinions and suppositions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I never said I have the answers, I’m telling you I don’t.  Neither do you, stop acting like you do. Stop claiming to have done research, for which there are no resources. Unless you are employed in HR or payroll and finance at Royal Caribbean, all you have are opinions and suppositions. 

Well I can verify everything I said.  Would you care to point out a few figures you disagree with and I will supply the references??????  I am sure you will not agree no matter what, but at least others might be able to determine which one of us is wrong.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, resetjet said:

You keep bandying numbers around this amount from these sources on this thread.  Do you not realize that those amounts reflect what an America citizen or green card holder makes when working on an American flagged vessel. 

D visa holders (almost all Royal hotel and restaurant staff) are completely different. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Google isn't your friend when you don't read all the print and just look at the headlines and big print.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, resetjet said:

Your figures appear to be in the ballpark.  Unless cabin stewards have received a huge pay cut in the last 10 years you are probably close.  

From a 2012 lawsuit filed against RCCL the wage of a stateroom attendant was described:

"Pursuant to their employment contracts, the vast majority of Doe’s wages were from tips received from passengers.[4] For a seven (7) day cruise, Doe was, on average, entitled to receive approximately $1,100. Furthermore, under the contract, Doe was entitled to receive $50.00 per month paid directly as wages by RCCL." 

https://www.lipcon.com/work-in-progress/plaintiffs-v-norwegian-seafarers-union/

• Thanks 1

My Mother had the same M to F 9to5 job from 1969 to 2011. Well over 40 years. Was a single parent. Retired at 68yrs of age. And was only make $39k after 41yrs of holding down the same job.

Nobody ever felt sorry for her. Nobody ever cut her any slack. She took nothing from the government. Yet, she survived without anyone going on endlessly agonizing, worrying, and speculating about her poor life and how she survived. And $39k in 2011 in NYC was really nothing. It made $2k a month in the Philippines look rich. Nobody should work 40 plus years and spend every night killing roaches after dinner. But she did. She would die if people ever did talk about her and say that poor woman works so hard for nothing. Then she got cancer and was gone within 6 months of retirement.

My point is people have it hard all over the world. Even here in your own country. Maybe others lives look so tragic to you because you have so much more and they have so little. You agonize, argue, and debate their finances more then they do. It's what they are use to and more then anyone back home makes. My Mother would say $2k without U.S.taxes isn't bad.

And when it comes to tipping, not everyone can add a cent over the suggested amount. And some do see auto gratuities amounts as pushy and high. Not everyone has the same perspective, because not everyone lives the same life. And in the same world. These cruise ship salaries are not as nearly as tragic to the crew as they are to you. They don't go on and on about it. They just get on with it.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4