Outside pool temperatures on an Alaska Cruise in May

Kelownabccan

Just wondering if they bump up the temperatures in the outside pools when cruising in the Alaska waters......especially early in the season....like May....My daughter and family did not do much research on the Crown Princess and now knows the 4 pools are all outside with none of them covered......She is cruising with two children under 8 and they love to swim in pools.....will not be much fun if the pools  are cold and under 70 degrees......anyone know if they bump up temps???.....will not be much fun for her watching them have fun if you have to sit in your warm clothes by the pool on a pool chair either.....probably best to go on a ship with a covered pool in a colder area....lol.......just shows ....always check things out before you cruise.....a learning experience.....final payments all done so hard to do any changes now ...

When we did Alaska in 2012 first week of July, it was not warm enough to use the pools till the last day when we were en route to Victoria.  Needless to say, the decks were packed with people, no chance of finding a seat.  

I wore jeans and t-shirts most of the trip.  My hubby wore shorts, but he wears them most of the winter.  

• Like 1

In May it will be chilly.  We went in the first week of September last year and is was cool  No one was  swimming outside and that why we sailed the Majestic Princess because of the indoor pool.

• Like 1

On our 14day RT out of Vancouver sailing last May28th, I had to buy more sunscreen in Skagway. The first day out of Vancouver was rainy and cold and the last 2 days heading back. I had to get out of the hot tub at times as it got hot. The pool had people in it alot. Temps may vary.

Last time I checked Princess pools were both chlorinated fresh water (not salt water), and were heated.  But heated as you would expect a swimming pool to be heated.  I think you'll find that hot tubs are quite popular on Alaska cruises relative to the pools.

We had a July Alaska cruise a few years back.  Weather was quite nice for most of the cruise.  The day we were docked in Juneau the morning started out typical Juneau, foggy, drizzly, cool.  By mid day it was 75 degrees or better.  We stripped off our jackets and sweaters and went back to the ship for lunch and to stow all the extra gear we didn't need.  Found quite a few families using the pool because the weather had gotten nice.

So, weather is going to vary a lot and pools might be usable when you least expect it.