when is celebrity insurance due (interested in the cfar benefit)

luckyinpa

i always booked my insurance thru trip insurance store but i'm taking a very expensive cruise at the end of next year. just booked. im well aware of the cfar and preexisting benefit timeline with all the insurance he sells. but the cfar insurance cost over 800 more than without cfar. 

so i began looking at celebrity. the 90% CFAR FCC benefit is 3600 more than the CFAR in cash id get from the 75% policies on that other website. i know the medical /rescue amounts arent as high as private insurance. and i know it basically is just covering me the time after final payment. 

the way i was looking at it is that if the CFAR private insurance covers me 75% cash vs 90% celebrity FCC. and the are the same price. the X insurance may be the better deal. 

so just wondering if it has to be paid within X days of booking or just at final

You can add the Celebrity insurance up until final payment. I was in a similar position and doing it this way was the more cost effective approach. My credit card provided better overall coverage but the 90% FCC is what I was after in a worst case scenario. 

princess has an option for 100 percent FCC and i actually did use that once. it was nice. it's only a aruba/mexican cruise with X  so  i wont be toooo far from the USA vs a cruise in europe lol. then i'd probably get the million dollar policy for sure. 

and ive never looked at my CC policy or what it has. thats  a good idea you mentioned. cap one venture is a travel card after all

Generally speaking, CFAR insurance almost always has to be purchased within 21 days of when the initial deposit was made. I learned this just this week while trying to purchase it. It’s referred to as the “time sensitive period”. It’s possible that deadline might be different if buying directly from the cruise lines.

23 minutes ago, Desert Diamond said:

Generally speaking, CFAR insurance almost always has to be purchased within 21 days of when the initial deposit was made. I learned this just this week while trying to purchase it. It’s referred to as the “time sensitive period”. It’s possible that deadline might be different if buying directly from the cruise lines.

Because the cruise line policy is a hybrid product. The CFAR is not insurance, rather it is a benefit provided by the cruise line. Medical and other travel risks are underwritten by Arch.

Edited by Babr
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

CFAR  ...Ah the joy of using acronyms so the rest of us feel....  How about spelling out what your writing about so when you use an acronym we all benefit from the wisdom to be shared. 

Sorry. CFAR stands for Cancel For Any Reason which is a popular feature of cruise line insurance because it is included at no extra cost. Third-party insurance requires an additional premium. The difference is that the cruise line policies reimburse in varying percentages with Future Cruise Credits whereas third-party policies reimburse in varying percentages of cash if you cancel for any other reason than the ones defined in the policy.

The credits are usually more generous, but they come with restrictions so be sure you are familiar with the terms if you are considering CFAR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Babr said:

Sorry. CFAR stands for Cancel For Any Reason which is a popular feature of cruise line insurance because it is included at no extra cost. Third-party insurance requires an additional premium. The difference is that the cruise line policies reimburse in varying percentages with Future Cruise Credits whereas third-party policies reimburse in varying percentages of cash if you cancel for any other reason than the ones defined in the policy.

The credits are usually more generous, but they come with restrictions so be sure you are familiar with the terms if you are considering CFAR.

the no extra cost statement is relative. it's true X doesnt charge extra but the initial premium is FAR greater for less coverage with respect to sickness and evac.

my usual travel insured policy is $2180 with CFAR 75%, 1322 without.  and with CFAR must be bought 21 days after deposit

celebrity insurance is 2228 with 90 percent FCC.  and payable at final.  this is what i decided given the 15% difference in FCC vs cash. plus i have 16 months to pay it

10 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

the no extra cost statement is relative. it's true X doesnt charge extra but the initial premium is FAR greater for less coverage with respect to sickness and evac.

my usual travel insured policy is $2180 with CFAR 75%, 1322 without.  and with CFAR must be bought 21 days after deposit

celebrity insurance is 2228 with 90 percent FCC.  and payable at final.  this is what i decided given the 15% difference in FCC vs cash. plus i have 16 months to pay it

It is hard to compare cruise line insurance with third-party insurance because they are very different products. Cruise line insurance is more attractive for older cruisers because the premium is not influenced by age as it is in third-party policies. 

It is an individual decision based on needs and priorities.

• Thanks 1

im reading all the fine print on the X plan. unsure if private plans have this but my guess is yes

We will advance payment to a Hospital, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown on the Schedule of Benefits, if needed
to secure Your admission to a Hospital because of a covered Injury or Sickness.