NLC Joy Panama Canal - LA to Miami 2/24/23

Sailing12Away

Was on the fence about whether to actually start a thread or not for this trip, but with lots of questions that folks have been asking about things lately I figured it would just be easier to start one up now the night before our flights, than to try and randomly check in to various other threads and share info as we find it. We were just on the Joy back in September for a Canada/NE cruise, so we're expecting most things should be the same - but well, with NCL they're consistently inconsistent.

We're traveling from JFK tomorrow morning, 6am flight scheduled to get us into LAX around 9:30ish. Rolling the dice with a flight the same day, but we've got time on our side with the direction of travel and with the first morning flight out I'm feeling the odds are in our favor. If not - we'll fly out to Cabo ahead of the ship and catch up if we can. It's a vacation... so long as I don't have to show up to work I really don't care where I am for the next 15 days.

Have some friends joining us on this trip, so that will make things extra fun. We're all in the Haven, so those late nights closing down the bar will be even more funner as well. For folks that like to complain about Haven pricing, or NCL pricing in general - you need to search better for the deals or try and be more flexible with your travel dates. Pricing on this sailing was decent when we originally booked, then as we got within a few weeks of final payment it plummeted. We were originally booked in an HI cabin with the angled balcony. As pricing dropped, we upgraded to the HH that we had in September (different cabin #) and ended up with a total of about 5K off our original price. When I gave up our HI room, made sure to let my friend know it was available and 5 mins later he snatched that up when he upgraded from him HJ to the HI. Pricing ended up being around $300/pp/day. We've got a bid in on the owners suite, so if anyone doesn't catch their flight tomorrow that room is ours 😉

Dropping off the dog now at the sitter... last minute packing... then off to bed for a 4am wake up call and vacation mode overdrive.

• Like 7

Wishing you luck traveling cross country with the weather the way it is this week.  
just did this trip solo Jan 6-22      Was an amazing trip.   Meet so many fun people.   
no haven here.  Just a plan on balcony.   
this was my first of 3 cruises. 29 days at sea.     

the joys a nice ship  but it’s ready for its revamp in 2024.  

We were originally set to sail out of port 40 something in LA... but about an hour ago they changed it.

image.png.29dadcc4dd56cbf82b7ab27914543b5a.png

With the predicted crappy weather, this seems to be a positive change. Again, as long as my flight gets me to LA then I don't really care too much if I need a shuttle bus or a donkey... just get me on the ship and get a drink in my hand.

We're bringing a large bottle of bourbon barrel beer (looks like a wine bottle) as well as a few tall cans in our checked bags. First time trying to bring some beer on at embarkation, so we'll see what happens. Have had no issue with wine in the past and no issues with a handful of beer cans at ports, so I don't anticipate an issue. But again, with NCL you never know. It's not like we're bringing a 24 pack of Natty Ice with the intent of getting bumbling drunk - it's onesies twosies to share with future friends that haven't gotten to try some of these brands/styles. We have the drink package, so again, logically can't see why they would be opposed to us paying for their booze and us not even drinking it (oh we will), and it's not liquor we're brining that adds a safety/liability issue.

But... you never know unless you try. Not trying to break rules per se, just trying to see if they follow logic. It's for the sake of science!

• Like 5

Be prepared to stand around and wait in the tent.   I waited close to 3.5 hours with a 10am boarding time.   You may want that beer for waiting around.      There’s no terminal building.  It’s a big circus tent.    And a big circus. Lolol.  
And the weather is saying it 99% chance of rain. 2-3 inches

So you may need some galoshes and rain gear.    

I heard some people walked over without taking the shuttle bus.  But you didn’t hear the from me. Lol. 

B4758666-374D-4A9D-80BB-E9E5496BD744.jpeg

• Like 1

Best of luck tmro traveling. You are brave.  Selfishly I’d love to know how the Cabo connection would work out…would be a much warmer start for you, ha. I never thanked you for mentioning the price drop earlier.  Pretty sure it was your post I read right after making final payment…horrified to read and then see how much it dropped.  I called immediately and saved a ton of money.  So thank you.  If only I was a beer drinker we could be future friends (good luck with that as well!) 🙂

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CruisnHallelujahs said:

Best of luck tmro traveling. You are brave.  Selfishly I’d love to know how the Cabo connection would work out…would be a much warmer start for you, ha. I never thanked you for mentioning the price drop earlier.  Pretty sure it was your post I read right after making final payment…horrified to read and then see how much it dropped.  I called immediately and saved a ton of money.  So thank you.  If only I was a beer drinker we could be future friends (good luck with that as well!) 🙂

We can still be future cruise friends. I'm an equal opportunity drinker. And if you don't drink at all, it just means more for me.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

Here is the drop off location where the bus will drop you.  

53432754-A3EC-4287-B74B-C7781A4C3C2F.jpeg

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to just roll with the flow tomorrow and hope for the best. If we find ourselves waiting long with nothing to do, that beer will definitely not make it on board. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to just roll with the flow tomorrow and hope for the best. If we find ourselves waiting long with nothing to do, that beer will definitely not make it on board. 

It snowed in LA yesterday and there’s more weather coming so if you can be prepared.      And have fun.    
also be prepared if you go to the atrium it’s crazy loud around there.   
oh but your Haven. You probably won’t hang with the peasants.   Lololol. JK.  

EF42D26F-AA29-4E87-AAB7-1171AEB19989.png

So excited for you both. 🥂 So are you Leaving from 93 or 50? 93 is the NCL nicer terminal 50 is the bad need-a-bus-to-get-there terminal. It sounds like you are dropping luggage at 93 then trekking it out to 50. I was wondering how the Joy could fit in berth 93. It is usually for the smaller ships. Hopefully they will have Haverners (my new term) wait inside. Yes, the weather is going to suck here tomorrow. We are having record breaking low temps and rain. Cabo will start the great weather so hold onto that thought and ENJOY! I’ll text you with the updated weather report in the AM. Safe travels my friends! 🚢🐀🍻

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

So excited for you both. 🥂 So are you Leaving from 93 or 50? 93 is the NCL nicer terminal 50 is the bad need-a-bus-to-get-there terminal. It sounds like you are dropping luggage at 93 then trekking it out to 50. I was wondering how the Joy could fit in berth 93. It is usually for the smaller ships. Hopefully they will have Haverners (my new term) wait inside. Yes, the weather is going to suck here tomorrow. We are having record breaking low temps and rain. Cabo will start the great weather so hold onto that thought and ENJOY! I’ll text you with the updated weather report in the AM. Safe travels my friends! 🚢🐀🍻

As the letter they posted states they will be bussed to the ship. And my pics show the current tent set up.   

1 minute ago, Cruise5life said:

As the letter they posted states they will be bussed to the ship. And my pics show the current tent set up.   

Yeh that is the worse terminal. Earlier she texted and said it was changed to 93. I had high hopes for the better terminal. 

10 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Have some friends joining us on this trip, so that will make things extra fun. We're all in the Haven, so those late nights closing down the bar will be even more funner as well. For folks that like to complain about Haven pricing, or NCL pricing in general - you need to search better for the deals or try and be more flexible with your travel dates. Pricing on this sailing was decent when we originally booked, then as we got within a few weeks of final payment it plummeted. We were originally booked in an HI cabin with the angled balcony. As pricing dropped, we upgraded to the HH that we had in September (different cabin #) and ended up with a total of about 5K off our original price. When I gave up our HI room, made sure to let my friend know it was available and 5 mins later he snatched that up when he upgraded from him HJ to the HI. Pricing ended up being around $300/pp/day. We've got a bid in on the owners suite, so if anyone doesn't catch their flight tomorrow that room is ours 😉

Looking forward to reading about your trip!

When you say $300/pp/pd, is that all in including taxes, port fees, DSC, etc?

Have a wonderful cruise. 

Oh yea! I've been waiting for this one to pop up! I so cannot wait to hear about all things Joy related. Have a stunning time, leave us to our own if you start having too much fun and don't want to bother with Cruise Critic, and just plain enjoy yourselves!

Best wishes on your embarkation day journey as you're 40,000 feet in the air. 

Just arrived in LA about 30 past our scheduled arrival.

Kudos to AA for having fresh hot chocolate chip cookies to hand out as we left the plane to make up for icky weather. We paid $50 for comfort plus seats and ended up with no one in the middle, so it was a very nice (long) flight.

As soon as you get down to baggage claim NCL reps were there waiting to check us off their list. Just waiting on the shuttle bus now. One step closer to cocktails!

And yes, the price of $300/pp/day is all in price.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Nice sunrise as we left, but icky here in LA.

IMG_20230224_060628.jpg

IMG_20230224_070228.jpg

IMG_20230224_070242.jpg

IMG_20230224_130342.jpg

IMG_20230224_130421.jpg

Wow. You flew in over the ocean? There must be some bad cross winds. This is not the normal flight pattern. Enjoy yourselves and hoist a drink (and a Blue Moon) for us!

Had to wait about 90mins for the NCL transfers, even though they told us we would only be waiting about 40 mins when we got down there.

There's convenience and laziness with the transfers, but when I land I want to go. Not sure we'll do then again, last time we had an excessive long wait too. 

Finally on our way to the port. It's raining cats and dogs out here. Good thing we've got a ship waiting for us...

• Like 3

Make sure you go to the Hypnotist show on the ship.   She’s awesome.   
Brenda Kaye.   She has an early show. And then she has an adult only show.  It was hilarious  she also offers seminars during the day.   
I’ve added some clips of video I took.    
the girl with the whistle is hunting for ***** users.  And the guy in the tshirt is the fun police. Looking for people not having fun.  
And the guy on the right thinks Brenda is his favorite star.   But she has bad breath.   Lololol.  

Edited by Cruise5life