First time cruising ever - Tips? Tricks? Must dos?

Geewhiz9876

I've never set foot on a cruise ship before. I need a vacation and said why not and booked a 4 day cruise the first week of May on the Scarlet Lady. I plan to do some shore excursions (there's a rum and cigar thing in Key West) what else should I know?

I'm just going to apologize now since I know this question has most likely been asked a billion times already but here we are. 

Specifically to Virgin, know to book dinners before boarding and brunch, shows and activities as soon as you get on the ship. Pack PJs for the Pajama party and something red for Scarlet Night. Take a reusable water bottle and maybe a coffee cup too. 
Don’t worry about restaurant dress codes. Try eating everywhere. Check the schedule and see what’s happening but be sure to see Duel Reality and go clubbing at Heartbeat in the Manor. Also dance in the pool at Scarlet Night. 

• Like 3

You can book dining on the app or by calling Virgin at 45 days before the cruise--do it.  You can always change your reservations later if you wish, but best to have something booked.  Things other than dinner (brunch, activities) will be scheduled after you board.

Don't try to do everything on your first cruise, especially in 4 nights.  Have fun.  Remember to allow time to just relax and chill in your hammock.

• Like 3

You don’t have to book excursions at every port! On the key west itinerary, I’ve always just done my own thing.  It’s easy enough to Uber, walk or rent a golf cart anywhere you’d like to go, and you’re able to do what YOU want to do, not what a tour operator wants you to to haha

bimini is super nice and relaxing.  The beach club is only open to the virgin guests when they have a ship in port, food and soft drinks are included.  There are a ton of chairs on the beach and two massive pools there.

besides booking dinners and bringing Pjs and something red, my best advice is to try to get your bearings on the ship the first night- what’s forward, mid, aft, and where all the bars/restaurants/venues are.  It can take a while to get the hang of it directionally, and that 4 night itinerary FLIES by, so it makes your voyage a little more enjoyable if you get that down early!

if you’re not sure what to do on the ship, ask one of the happenings cast members.  They introduce themselves at sailaway and are really helpful in pointing out cool things to do throughout the voyage or in port!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Geewhiz9876 said:

I've never set foot on a cruise ship before. I need a vacation and said why not and booked a 4 day cruise the first week of May on the Scarlet Lady. I plan to do some shore excursions (there's a rum and cigar thing in Key West) what else should I know?

I'm just going to apologize now since I know this question has most likely been asked a billion times already but here we are. 

Read this board a lot. I’m a seasoned cruiser but gleaned tons of helpful “Virgin” tips. Research the available shows when you get closer to your dates and plan to book the ones you’re interested in AS Soon as you board the Ship. 

• Like 3

The longer the cruise, the more likely that activities/shows will be repeated.  On a 4 night sailing, don't expect any repeats.  Know what you want in advance and book it as soon as you. can access the ship's internet. Seating is limited for everything, and not enough for a full ship!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 7:46 AM, Geewhiz9876 said:

I would say that rather than asking fairly open and generic questions, join some groups on social media and read the boards here, it's a great way to gather lots of information. You can even search for specific topics on both.

Spend some time on YouTube looking at VV trip reviews.  Since you are going to Key West, if you forget any essentials, there is a CVS about a 2 block walk from the port.  Go to the end of the port area and turn left.  Prices are the same as any US CVS, not ship prices!   There are FB groups for most cruises--search and see if you want to chat with any fellow cruisers in advance.

• Like 2

My tip is check your luggage has what you think it has inside it!

In Oct I arrived in Barcelona all ready for the transatlantic Med to Miami. Opened the case the morning before boarding the ship.... I had not packed ANY socks. Cue running about Barcelona on a Sunday trying to buy them before the boarding slot and the ship departed. lol

• Haha 2

On one cruise (on another line) I forget to pack my young son's dress pants. Ran around Santorini and actually found him an acceptable pair.

On another, my DH and accidently packed 4 daybags between us.

On another trip, we packed an umbrella and pulled it out when huddled behind a soda machine in a downpour. I was actually our electric pet nail grinder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Pack air freshener. The cabin and bathroom are a small space 😷. Check out independent excursions as so much cheaper than the cruise lines. Generally there will be loads of people touting day trips and taxis. Find out what you want to do beforehand and then haggle. If you just want to go to a beach with a nice bar chat to them and they will be able to recommend.