Mediterranean Cruise: Does NCL Have Currency Exchange Booths On Board?

ajtraveler66

I was curious if NCL had any currency exchange areas onboard its ship for converting dollars to Euro's?  We will be on the NCL Star in April (Venice to Lisbon).

I have read that most restaurants, etc. do accept Visa/Mastercard.  However, I realize that it might be convenient to have a few euro's on hand for who knows what..

Your comments/suggestions are appreciated.

When we sailed out of Venice (Trieste) last Sept I saw a sign at Guest Services for currency exchange.  As noted above, the rate will be terrible. 

I assume you'll spend a day or 2 in Venice prior to boarding so you'll need Euros as soon as your arrive. You can either order some euros from your bank, or, use a bank ATM in Venice ( not a stand alone ATM machine)

I've done both.  I had a private driver lined up at one port which was 400 cash, so I ordered it from my home bank.  I always have 20-40 euros left over from a previous trip and used that for the bus fare from the airport to town.  Bought snacks, drinks and pastries from various little places around Venice and Id rather pay cash to those little mom/pop vendors.  Stopped at a bank ATM to replenish before boarding the train to Trieste.

• Like 1

Some ships will have an ATM on board where you can withdraw money from your own bank account, but it doesn't convert existing cash you have.  Sometimes the ATM will distribute the currency in USD or Euros.  Either way, there is a very high service charge added.  Best to use a land-based ATM to get Euros as needed.  Purchase a SMALL amount from your own bank (for a fee) before leaving if you are uncomfortable landing with no cash to spend.  Then visit the ATM to get more when you land.

• Like 1

As others have said, be sure to use a bank ATM, rather than, say, an ATM that is street side in some shopping district...like the one I use in Copenhagen that skimmed my information and resulted in over $800 in fraudulent charges (weeks later returned to my account, but what a hassle).  Ugh.