Nieuw Statendam crew death

don731

We were on board this last week.  It was the dancer Fabio (from Argentina) who tragically drowned-had hit his head on a rock (weather was windy and the seas were rough).  It's so sad.  

Fabio was part of a 3 boy 3 girl dance team.  They had to cancel the rest of the dance shows (totally understandable) and the BB king group got the rest of the cruise off to grieve as well since members of the BB King and dancers were there and witnessed the tragedy.  Kudos to the captain and crew of HAL Nieuw Stantendam - they all stepped up to help fill in the gaps.  It was a lovely cruise, but we are so saddened by this tragedy.  Our prayers to the crew, esp the dance team and the BB king band...glad they are getting grief counseling.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

It could have been snorkeling. Fish often hang out near rocks, and if the water was bouncy, a wave could have pushed him against the rocks. 

"The show must go on," but sometimes it can't. Good for HAL, recognizing that the performers who were with Fabio when the accident occurred need time to grieve. 

On 3/1/2023 at 5:08 PM, 2ws said:

A family member is an entertainer. She just emailed about it. Was very sad. Her contract ends this week. On a slightly happier note, If you get a chance to hear Rachel in the Rock and Roll room, at the Q and A on Friday, you could ask her if she still plays paintball and roller hockey, and see her reaction. Nothing bad at all, it would likely crack her up and surprise her a little because she was very good at both back in the day and would know immediately who tipped you off. We were on this cruise  in Feb and the captain is a class act. 

Love Rachel! We saw her on the April TA on Rotterdam. Very talented!

11 hours ago, Jurie said:

It was the dancer Fabio (from Argentina) who tragically drowned-had hit his head on a rock (weather was windy and the seas were rough).  It's so sad.  

We were onboard last month and I chatted with Fabio in the buffet one evening. So, so sorry to learn of his death and can only imagine how the loss has affected the other dancers. They seemed like a close knit group.  

My wife and I, along with five other members of our family and extended family were on the cruise when this tragic incident occurred.  Many comments have already been said regarding the compassion that Holland America Cruise Line expressed for the "Family" of Fabio's co-workers, especially his group of dancers.  Reading these comments brings back the emotions felt when we witnessed the compassion last week by everyone concerned especially Capt Eric.  I was able to express my quick condolences to him as my wife and I past him at the conclusion of the Mass officiated by Father Charles.  My eyes are filled with tears for both sadness, and also joy that Holland Cruise Lines expressed for everyone.  It was heartwarming for us to know what the expression of compassion displayed means at the time of such a loss.  My wife and I lost a 22 year old son less than three years ago, and I never realized what such an expression of compassion can do for a family.  

One thing I learned last week was Capt Eric, with the help from Holland America does truly treat their employees as family on their ships.  We have been on five other cruise lines, but have now found the only one we will ever sail with in the future will be Holland, how I wish we would have found Holland many years ago.

Last comment, THANK YOU Holland for everything especially having Father Charles with us on this most memorable Journey.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

We, too, were on the Nieuw Statendam when this tragedy occurred.  For those of you who were interested in contributing to Fabio’s family/memorial, a Go Fund Me Page has been set up.  Follow the link below to contribute.

https://gofund.me/a2587bee

• Like 1