Does the ship provide or must you provide your own?

Will be needing a scooter or wc for travel.  Person is not wheelchair bound but will need some mobility assistance at times.  

Can you make arrangements through the cruiselines for this or must you bring your own.  

Do not have a trip reserved yet, but planning on them so wanting to be prepared.

Thanks much.

Cruise ship WC/mobility aids are for emergency use. Best to rent or purchase what you need, be sure it's the proper fit for the individual, and if motoriized, practice before you leave for the cruise. You can rent and have one delivered to the WC accessible cabin - check with the cruise line for their preferred vendor. 

• Like 1

You need to provide your own.

The two most mentioned mobility device rental companies are Special Needs at Sea and Scootaround.  The equipment (wheelchair or scooter) will be in your stateroom (or outside the terminal building) waiting for you and that's where you leave it on your last day.   If you know what cruise line you will be on, you can check their website for their preferred vendor(s).   If you rent a scooter, you will probably need an accessible stateroom.

Many, many folks on this board have rented mobility equipment for their cruises.   Post again with any other questions you might have.

https://www.specialneedsatsea.com/

scootaround.com 

• Like 1

Keep in mind you will probably need an accessible room. Your scooter needs to be kept inside your room when not in use. It can't be kept outside your room in the hallway.  For practice in using a scooter, just go to your local supermarket or Walmart and use theirs. Keep in mind that a rental will be smaller than and easier to handle.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For several years now I've rented a scooter for cruise use.  3-4 times, I have not been able to get an Accessible cabin -- too few HA cabins & didn't book far enough in advance (not always possible).

DD, SIL & I just booked a Princess cruise for this summer; no HA cabins available.  So, I'll rent the smaller 19" wide scooter.  It will be a tight squeeze thru the 21" cabin door, but I've done it before.

Edited by DRS/NC
correction

On 3/5/2023 at 1:19 AM, mets123 said:

Keep in mind you will probably need an accessible room. Your scooter needs to be kept inside your room when not in use. It can't be kept outside your room in the hallway.  For practice in using a scooter, just go to your local supermarket or Walmart and use theirs. Keep in mind that a rental will be smaller than and easier to handle.

I rented a fold up scooter for my cruise and did not have an accessible cabin.  worked great, was easy to fold up and we stored it in our closet when not in use resting against the wall of the closet.  took up very little space.

3 hours ago, mystic51 said:

I rented a fold up scooter for my cruise and did not have an accessible cabin.  worked great, was easy to fold up and we stored it in our closet when not in use resting against the wall of the closet.  took up very little space.

May I ask where you rented the fold-up scooter?  I've been looking for one.  Thanks