Little French Key Review

llarsen

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic."

llarsen was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

We visited the beautiful Little French Key Resort this past week while on the Sky Princess which docked in Mahogany Bay. 
I reserved through Larissa (the owner) with no deposit. You can contact them at the NEW (real) website LittleFrenchKeyResort dot com. (Make sure you add Resort in the url address. 

There have been many false rumors circulating due to untrue social media posts. I did my own research and am so happy I did!

We excited the port through the guard gates and walked down hill to where the drivers are waiting. They were holding a sign LittleFrenchKeyResort. Our driver was Maya, who had the sweetest young man with him named Sabastian who earned a big tip as we enjoyed our conversation with him on the way to the dock where you will take a 2 minute ride to the private island. At the dock we also enjoyed talking with Mario and Karina. 

Little French Key was like Paradise! There were only a few people there other than us and it has gorgeous water and so many places to lounge and explore. You can see a lot of work and money has gone into making this place. 
Everyone working there was so friendly and made our day even more enjoyable. 

The animals (rescued) are so well taken care of and everything was so clean! 
You can see all the sand around the lagoons had been raked and was clean.

They take you back to the ship whenever you are ready to go. We purchased the basic package and ordered drinks and food a la carte. You can add on Sloths (which I regret not seeing) and other tours for a very low fee.

As you can see from our pics Little French Key Resort is not only safe, but a slice of Paradise! 2540BD2C-2FD1-4D04-BA9C-858F266CB946.thumb.jpeg.8aa4b0a61ee85e79abcb64ec5fe077b7.jpegD45AF81A-D25E-4735-B382-308B41C264ED.thumb.jpeg.22bea3f3cd8d4cb7d22d7e83c4ae3789.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cctomh said:

Who did you book the excursion through?

You can email them at info@littlefrenchkeyresort.com 

The correct website for information is https://littlefrenchkeyresort.com/

There are 2 other websites that the ex-husband still has control of, do not book through them!

The owner (Larissa) emailed me back, booked our date without a deposit, and the drivers are waiting outside the port gates with a LittleFrenchKey sign. We arrived at the Frenchie's 44 restaurant dock, and took a 2 minute boat ride to LittleFrenchKey. You purchase the package you want When you arrive at the dock. 

Carnival Corp has built a place across the lagoon (BigFrenchKey) but we had a much better experience than they did. We swam in the quiet lagoon as cruise ship passengers were dumped onto their island which did not look nearly as nice.

:-)

We have been there several times the most recent was March 2022. We are going again this April. Can anyone tell me the current drink prices as far as beers? I can remember what we paid last time. 

We were at LFK in November of this past year. We had been a couple of times in the past before all the drama started.

Here are my thoughts in a 30 second review.

We had some challenges finding the transportation there. Even though we knew were to go and who to look for we struggled finding the van.

We had booked prior to Covid (previous owner) and had a two cruises cancelled on us. Even though they confirmed via email that they would honor the reservation which was paid in full they were reluctant to do it, After a lengthy conversation they did honor the reservation, minus the lunch, drinks and prepaid massage.

The beach was just as beautiful but the service was a little lacking. It was still good, but not like before. 

The biggest challenge had nothing to do with LFK, it is the development of the island across the bay. It really hurts the intimacy of LFK. We walked over to the other side of the island but it is not nearly as well kept as it had been.

Will we go again. Not sure. The development of the island across the bay really hurt the vibe for us. First timers will really enjoy it as they do not have the old LFK to compare it to.

Ease of getting there- Average

Safety - Felt extremely safe

Enjoyment- Good as any other excursion I have taken

Service- Average

0D3DBCD7-3295-4E53-B9FB-85511E0B119B.jpeg

7E8B00D1-FCB4-4866-871C-DCF1FBF4FA5A.jpeg

09D2E669-67EA-4371-83D8-5F3E0DB9E4D7.jpeg

@llarsenThanks for your review.  We will be in Roatan April 4th and am thinking of doing LFK with the sloths and mini pigs.  Good to have a very recent review.  I have been reading about this place for many years and then there seemed to be the dispute and bad reviews so was not sure.  Your review and pictures makes me feel very comfortable doing this in April.  Thanks again.

@llarsen I have searched the website and cannot find anything about tipping at LFK.  There seems to be numerous people helping one throughout the day.  May I ask if they have a tip jar/box etc. to leave something to be shared with the entire staff or do you tip each person who helps you individually?

1 minute ago, DavidsNana said:

@llarsen I have searched the website and cannot find anything about tipping at LFK.  There seems to be numerous people helping one throughout the day.  May I ask if they have a tip jar/box etc. to leave something to be shared with the entire staff or do you tip each person who helps you individually?

Typically you will have one waiter assigned to you, the last 2 times that’s what we had. We will be there in about 3 weeks and will update you if anything changes since our last visits last year 

Just now, wolft927 said:

Typically you will have one waiter assigned to you, the last 2 times that’s what we had. We will be there in about 3 weeks and will update you if anything changes since our last visits last year 

I might be there before you.  We will be in Roatan on 4th.  We are going to do the sloth tour, 3 of us do the mini pig encounter and 2 of snorkeling tour.  So based on that, it seems that we will have at least a separate person for the snorkel tour and maybe for the mini pigs plus the waiter.  That is why I was wondering.  That is a lot of separate people to tip if it is individually.  Thanks for the info though.  Always appreciated.

On 3/10/2023 at 6:53 PM, DavidsNana said:

@llarsenThanks for your review.  We will be in Roatan April 4th and am thinking of doing LFK with the sloths and mini pigs.  Good to have a very recent review.  I have been reading about this place for many years and then there seemed to be the dispute and bad reviews so was not sure.  Your review and pictures makes me feel very comfortable doing this in April.  Thanks again.

Hi, we felt very safe there. In fact, the cruise line built their place right across the lagoon and would not be bringing passengers there if there was an issue with LFK. Little French Key is much prettier and private than what the cruise line offers, and you get to spend the whole day there! There is another smaller lagoon that is beautiful too that is not directly facing BFK, but we did not mind seeing some cruise ship passengers in the distance across the way.

To answer your other questions...we did not purchase the package with drinks etc. so we did not have our own waiter, although someone came by to check on us throughout the day and asked if we needed anything. We left a tip when we purchased food at the snack bar area. My husband had conch civiche and said it was outstanding and as what he had in French Polynesia. I had the combo plate (chicken and beef, but it wasn't fantastic, although I also wasn't very hungry. They were $15 each plate a la carte and a soda was maybe $3 and a beer might have been $6 a la carte. We also tipped the drivers although they didn't seem to expect it.

There was a group of maybe 6 friends that were in the water most the day, and the waiter was very attentive and brought drinks and food to them throughout the day.

We really enjoyed our day and hope that you do too!

IMG_1066.jpeg

IMG_1067.jpeg

@llarsenOh thanks so much for your detailed review and the pictures.  I have contacted Larissa and made our reservations.   We will be doing the Sloth and Island Pkg with the mini pigs for sure and then my grandson and his wife are tentatively planning on doing the snorkeling tour.  They are going to wait until we get there and see how the seas and wind are that day before they decide.  I'm looking forward to it and hope that the weather is reasonably clear that day.  Glad that the island plate was good as our package includes that.  However, my grandson is allergic to beef products (has to carry epi pens with him) and while Larissa said that they can keep the beef off his plate, I think to be safe, we will be ordering him something a la carte as his food can't even touch any beef products. Thanks so much again.  If it were just me going, I would also not purchase the package but do things the way you did.

On 3/16/2023 at 3:40 PM, DavidsNana said:

@llarsenOh thanks so much for your detailed review and the pictures.  I have contacted Larissa and made our reservations.   We will be doing the Sloth and Island Pkg with the mini pigs for sure and then my grandson and his wife are tentatively planning on doing the snorkeling tour.  They are going to wait until we get there and see how the seas and wind are that day before they decide.  I'm looking forward to it and hope that the weather is reasonably clear that day.  Glad that the island plate was good as our package includes that.  However, my grandson is allergic to beef products (has to carry epi pens with him) and while Larissa said that they can keep the beef off his plate, I think to be safe, we will be ordering him something a la carte as his food can't even touch any beef products. Thanks so much again.  If it were just me going, I would also not purchase the package but do things the way you did.

Hi, I regret not doing the Sloth package. When we were there, the sea looked pretty choppy and windy on the other side of the island outside of the protected area of the lagoons. I'm not sure where they take you snorkeling. My husband rented a snorkel and mask $10 from the shop on site, but there really wasn't much to see in the lagoon area. They also have a platform and a rope swing that a couple kids were using and looked fun (if you're young, lol) 

As far as you grandson's allergic condition...I also would not chance eating the island plate there. They might cook the beef on the same grill as the chicken? Maybe you can bring something packaged like chips etc or he can make or order a sandwich on the ship to take with him? In Cozumel they had dogs sniffing backpacks etc as you exited the ship and confiscated any fruit. But I don't remember them in Honduras. Or ask Larissa if they could substitute something a la carte for him? My husband said the civiche and chips was awesome!

Hope you have a great time!

@llarsenI Think we were on the same Sky Princess Cruise 2/25-3/4.  I was with my son and his girlfriend on that one.  We did a private excursion and visited a sloth park on that one.  It was really special to be able to hold them.  the monkeys were fun but very high energy.  So after hearing about them, my grandson and his wife decided they wanted to do the sloths on this cruise.  I would recommend it if you like animals.  Thanks for the snorkeling info and conditions that your husband experienced.  The Sloth Pkg includes the snorkeling equipment so they will snorkel around the lagoon areas but I will tell them to not be expecting too much.  I do have snacks with me that my grandson can eat but they do not allow outside food at LFK but seeing the pic of your husband's civiche and chips, I'm confident that we can order him something a la carte if they won't substitute something.  Thanks again for all your firsthand information.  It is invaluable.

On 3/19/2023 at 7:43 AM, DavidsNana said:

@llarsenI Think we were on the same Sky Princess Cruise 2/25-3/4.  I was with my son and his girlfriend on that one.  We did a private excursion and visited a sloth park on that one.  It was really special to be able to hold them.  the monkeys were fun but very high energy.  So after hearing about them, my grandson and his wife decided they wanted to do the sloths on this cruise.  I would recommend it if you like animals.  Thanks for the snorkeling info and conditions that your husband experienced.  The Sloth Pkg includes the snorkeling equipment so they will snorkel around the lagoon areas but I will tell them to not be expecting too much.  I do have snacks with me that my grandson can eat but they do not allow outside food at LFK but seeing the pic of your husband's civiche and chips, I'm confident that we can order him something a la carte if they won't substitute something.  Thanks again for all your firsthand information.  It is invaluable.

I was going to ask you if you possibly could be the nice lady we met at the airport who was on our 2/25 sailing! I remembered you saying you would be back with your grandson, lol, what a small world! My husband said that there were some fish under the dock areas so they can look there while snorkeling. I hope you have a nice weather and the beautiful breeze like we had at Little French Key. When we got back to the ship that afternoon we walked over to Mahogany Bay (which was a nice set up but crowded loungers) and it was soooo hot! No breeze at all, we would not have lasted long there if we had chose to go there for the day. 

Have fun! Wish we were going again, I'm so tired of our cold and rainy So Cal weather! 

@llarsenIt is entirely possible that we met in the Dallas airport during flight delays since you live in Murrieta and I live in San Diego.  I wore my mask and met two very nice people in the Dallas airport who were also wearing masks.  Might that have been you?  If that is the case, yes it is a small world!!  Thanks for the info on the snorkeling.  Unfortunately, our plans may have to be changed.  My grandson's wife slipped going to her car the other day and while she did not fall, she twisted a knee that she has had surgery on in the past.  She is determined to go on this cruise, but we will see what the orthopedic doc says on Thursday.  We may have to cancel (thank heavens for insurance) or at the very best, she will have to either use crutches, be in a knee brace and or we will have to rent her a wheelchair.  Not sure how LFK will work with any of those, need to do some investigation.   We were to cave tube in Belize but that is totally out at this point.  As luck would have it, later in life, my late husband walked with a cane but needed wheelchair assistance for long distances and we travelled quite a bit.  So, I am well versed in traveling with someone with limited mobility.  I'm crossing my fingers that it is a minor injury that will only require a knee support.  I have done the cruise line beach at Mahagony Bay and it can get very hot.  When I have done it, I have pretty much stayed in the water and one time when there were 4 of us, we rented one of the bungalows and they have shade and if necessary, they have a/c inside.  But that was pre-pandemic and the price was much less expensive than it is now.  Not sure I could justify that higher price.  Thank you for your continued help and info.  If we can't get to LFK this time, then I'm determined to get there in the future and will put your great info to good use.  I agree, I am so tired of this weather.  I'm so looking forward to summer.  Many thanks again for your help.

21 hours ago, DavidsNana said:

@llarsenIt is entirely possible that we met in the Dallas airport during flight delays since you live in Murrieta and I live in San Diego.  I wore my mask and met two very nice people in the Dallas airport who were also wearing masks.  Might that have been you?  If that is the case, yes it is a small world!!  Thanks for the info on the snorkeling.  Unfortunately, our plans may have to be changed.  My grandson's wife slipped going to her car the other day and while she did not fall, she twisted a knee that she has had surgery on in the past.  She is determined to go on this cruise, but we will see what the orthopedic doc says on Thursday.  We may have to cancel (thank heavens for insurance) or at the very best, she will have to either use crutches, be in a knee brace and or we will have to rent her a wheelchair.  Not sure how LFK will work with any of those, need to do some investigation.   We were to cave tube in Belize but that is totally out at this point.  As luck would have it, later in life, my late husband walked with a cane but needed wheelchair assistance for long distances and we travelled quite a bit.  So, I am well versed in traveling with someone with limited mobility.  I'm crossing my fingers that it is a minor injury that will only require a knee support.  I have done the cruise line beach at Mahagony Bay and it can get very hot.  When I have done it, I have pretty much stayed in the water and one time when there were 4 of us, we rented one of the bungalows and they have shade and if necessary, they have a/c inside.  But that was pre-pandemic and the price was much less expensive than it is now.  Not sure I could justify that higher price.  Thank you for your continued help and info.  If we can't get to LFK this time, then I'm determined to get there in the future and will put your great info to good use.  I agree, I am so tired of this weather.  I'm so looking forward to summer.  Many thanks again for your help.

Yes, that was us you met at the airport! So sorry to hear about her injury, but glad you have travel insurance in case you need to cancel. 

As far as LFK, the walk to where the drivers are waiting is maybe 10 minutes at our pace. You will need to walk through the facility, up some stairs (not sure if there is a walk-around but I imagine there is), then through the port gates and down a hill to the drivers. We passed taxis inside the port gates and you could probably have them take you down to the drivers for a couple dollars, or to the Little French Key dock instead of using LFK driver (which might be better). Once at the dock the boat is a platoon (you can confirm with Larissa), so she would not be stepping down into it. On LFK she could walk at her own pace to the lagoon area and loungers. There are wood plank walkways to the main lagoon area that you can see in some of the photos. Not sure if this would be hard to walk on with crutches? If she can get by with a cane I think you could still do quite a bit on the cruise. Hopefully it will just be a brace. 

Whatever you do in Belize, do not take the Princess 2 hr Scenic Wildlife River cruise! We rarely ever book a cruise line excursion...and this was a big reminder why we book independent!

Well, hope everything works out for you 🙂 Maybe we will meet again on a cruise!   

@llarsenThanks so much again for all this wonderful firsthand information.  My granddaughter-in-law saw her orthopedic doctor this morning and he says that he wants her to go and have a good time and they will do an MRI when we return from the cruise.  He gave her a brace to use that she can lock in place while walking and unlock when sitting.  He says that she should be fine with it and that the swimming is good and that using the brace will protect the knee from any more damage.  Still not sure just what the problem is until the MRI.  We are very grateful for this as she has never been on a ship before and is so excited that she has been pretty much packed for a month!!

I so much appreciate your information and the time you have taken to relay it.  I will write a review of our time at LFK and the sloths etc. when we get back and tag you so you will know how it works out.  Thanks for the info about not taking the Princess 2 hour Scenic Wildlife River cruise.  I just might have considered it on a future trip.  I book a combo of Princess tours and independent ones.  However, we were almost left in Costa Maya when we took my grandson on his 2nd cruise.  He wanted to try Carnival so we did, he decided even at age 10 that he preferred Princess.  Well, we booked an independent tour to Chacchoben Ruins with Native Way tours.  They were wonderful but we were on top of one of the pyramids and another guide came running up and yelled to our guide that the ship was leaving early.  We were supposed to leave at 5 pm and it was only noon.  We scurried down from the top and the van driver drove as fast as he could back to the port.  We were lucky as there was a big bus of Princess people on a ship's excursion that were still out so we made it 15 minutes before they did.  They actually drove the big bus out on the pier as the ship was ready to cast off the last line and sail.  If it hadn't been for that bus, we would have been left.  The seas and wind had come up and the captain had decided that it wasn't safe to keep the ship tied up any longer than possible.  So I wasn't surprised that we miss Costa Maya on our cruise.  Since then, if the place we are going to visit is a distance away from the port, I go ahead and book through the ship.

Thanks again for all your help.  I think we are to have a reasonably nice day on Monday and I'm going to take full advantage of it.  Enjoy!  And yes, maybe we will meet again on a cruise or maybe in another airport.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@llarsenHi, I would love to be able to give a review of Little French Key but we were unable to dock in Roatan due to high winds and seas.  We were very very disappointed as it was the port that we were most looking forward to.  I know that Larissa monitors the ships so she knew that we weren't docking but called her on Whatsapp anyway to make sure and to express our disappointment.  She was very gracious and sympathetic.  Said she hoped to see us in the future and I assured her that when we are able to get to Roatan in the that we would definitely be visiting LFK.  Thanks again for all your great information and I will use it for a future visit.

We also were unable to dock in Costa Maya so only made 2 of our 4 ports.  In 38 cruises I have never missed a port before.  Now missed Roatan and Costa Maya on this cruise and Costa Maya on our Sky Princess Cruise.  Considering the experience we had at Costa Maya years ago, I'm wondering if we should even plan to make that port on future cruises that include it.  Princess did give us a $75 per person non-refundable onboard credit.  I felt it was very generous as the missed ports were due to weather and not under their control.  We put it to good use!!  Thanks again for your kindness in answering all my questions.

@DavidsNana  Oh no, I am so sorry to hear you missed docking in Roatan and visiting Little French Key. I can't believe you also missed Costa Maya...again! I would be so disappointed as the ports are why we cruise. Nice that Princes gave onboard credit.

I was looking at another cruise with these ports to take our grandkids, but I think we will chose another itinerary because they would also be so disappointed if we couldn't dock due to weather.

Well, I hope you at least enjoyed the cruise portion and maybe some day we will see you onboard another ship! Take care and keep cruising!

@llarsenYes, we made the best of it and enjoyed our extra sea days although I too cruise for the ports.  The only thing that made this less disappointing was that I was spending time with my grandson and his wife and I don't get to see them often.  So the time whether in port (which we would have rather had) or onboard was precious time.  I agree maybe some day we will meet again on a cruise or in the airport as before.  Yes, we all love cruising and will keep doing it.  Thanks again and enjoy the better weather that we are having now.

• 9 months later...

I appreciate this review very much. We were here probably 10 years ago and were wanting to visit again this upcoming April and bring some friends who are first time cruisers so I am doing research.  I am looking for a drink menu/prices. They did have yummy frozen drinks years ago.