Silver Moon Dec 22nd 2023 Athens - Aqaba.

RichT1

Moon Dec 22nd Athens - Aqaba.

I saw this and thought it might be a great Christmas and New Year getaway. The website is showing a 4 day post cruise package but no price. I asked my TA to enquire and the reply was to the effect they have no costing for land tours in the system yet, but also they are not sure if this voyage will go ahead with the current itinerary, and may not end in Aqaba.

I decided to call SS directly, and was told that essentially the above is correct, operations decided earlier this week to review this cruise, Aqaba may be replaced due to “lack of flights” and perhaps the final destination will be Dubai! (That’s actually a long way from Aqaba, and there are 2 Aqaba round trips on the website immediately after this one).

I would still like to do this cruise but can’t book it until there’s certainty regarding the itinerary.
Anybody out there booked on this with any more information? Perhaps you’ve been updated by SS with accurate info? Thanks.

14 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I just rang and was told >75% chance the voyages that include Aqaba will be rerouted due to the recent deadly violence in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

I’m a bit surprised as there has been no reported trouble in Jordan recently. The flight issue is more relevant. There are no real international flights from Aqaba and only a couple a day to Amann. When we got off there last year we flew out of Amann and arranged for a driver to get us from the port to a hotel in Amann. It was an interesting 4 hour drive. SS just gave up on us and we arranged the hotel and driver, it turned out to be easy.

Hi, 

I am hoping this is all speculation as I have my flights booked (Non refundable) hotel in Greece also non refundable. We also have a 5 night 6 day tour of Wadi Rum,Petra etc booked which has cancellation penalties. This cruise was booked in lieu of a Panama cruise we cancelled due to the closure of Machu Picchu. Both of these cruises were on our bucket list and we are going to be very disappointed if it does not go ahead. I suppose all any of us can do is wait and see.

This is kind of concerning as we booked the post cruise excursion via Silversea last year.  I do not mind ending up in Dubai as we originally booked for 2022 to end in Dubai, but this new itinerary came up (Athens to Dubai) and it had a couple of ports that differed from the original and we switched to this new itinerary. 

Anne and Bob

On 3/3/2023 at 12:39 PM, RichT1 said:

Moon Dec 22nd Athens - Aqaba.

I saw this and thought it might be a great Christmas and New Year getaway. The website is showing a 4 day post cruise package but no price. I asked my TA to enquire and the reply was to the effect they have no costing for land tours in the system yet, but also they are not sure if this voyage will go ahead with the current itinerary, and may not end in Aqaba.

I decided to call SS directly, and was told that essentially the above is correct, operations decided earlier this week to review this cruise, Aqaba may be replaced due to “lack of flights” and perhaps the final destination will be Dubai! (That’s actually a long way from Aqaba, and there are 2 Aqaba round trips on the website immediately after this one).

I would still like to do this cruise but can’t book it until there’s certainty regarding the itinerary.
Anybody out there booked on this with any more information? Perhaps you’ve been updated by SS with accurate info? Thanks.

If you disembark in Aqaba, you could easily travel to Eilat, Israel (about 30 minutes) by taxi or bus.  Then continue on to Tel Aviv or fly Eilat to Tel Aviv (about 1 hour).  Ben-Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv has hundreds of flights per day.

As to the mention of violence in the area, there is always conflict of some kind in the Middle East.  I have spent several weeks in Israel and never felt safer in my life.  Unless there is a very serious conflict that affects these ports, I personally would not be worried.

BTW, I also looked at this cruise with interest, especially because of the visit to Saudi Arabia.  I'd love to do it, but I'm already booked on the two preceding cruises (Athens to Athens), so I think that's enough for now :)

Good luck with your plans!

• Like 1